17,500 BSL

Realize, that the Hornet requires less space than the forward hangar deck of Lincoln.

Three and a third miles below the surface.

6F0D4517-0C06-4BEE-90EA-8EC3FD51597E.jpeg 931E7ACA-47D7-4B33-8966-71894EA38A94.jpeg I used to work for a WWII Navy Pilot. I was taking lessons and earned my private at the time, so we would talk about flying all the time. I was helping him clean out his attic and found this photo and remarked how cool it was. He said “take it, it’s yours. I finally got around to framing it and it hangs in my pool room.

My late father in law was the damage control officer on the Hornet when it was sunk. He had some pretty gruesome stories...

Any day now, TIGHAR will claim they have proof Amelia's plane is on the hangar deck.....

This group has sure found a lot more stuff than TIGHAR!

So what do they plan on doing with it now that they’ve found it?

Here's a photo from the Hornet about 4 months before the sinking. Damaged Wildcat lands hard, the guns fire off killing 5 and wounding 20. You can see the smoke from the guns.

https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Ens_Sheedy_crashing_USS_Hornet_Midway_1942.jpg

Ens_Sheedy_crashing_USS_Hornet_Midway_1942.jpg

Wow. A little perspective just sank in about the picture I posted above. It was 42 years old when I found it in that attic.............and then I realized I’ve owned for 35 years since then.

Last edited:
Someday, maybe, parts of MH370 might show up on an image like that. But in the case of the Hornet, these guys knew where to look.

Back