New Member New airplane owner 0 time Insurance?

cessna1502978

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Butler2978
Hi All let me say hello wonderful site. So here is my story i allays dreamed of flying and waited to i was mature 52 still a little crazy. Anyway i purchased a plane a 150 low time i have a hangar at a private airport in the Hudson valley. I need advice on insurance for the aircraft it seems being i have 0 time no one will talk to me. I am hoping somebody can give me a few choices here any help would be appreciated.

I had no issue putting two zero time students on my policy, and the airplane is experimental to boot.

I use A.J. Gallagher, and they seem to love finding affordable policies for challenging situations.

I had no issue putting two zero time students on my policy, and the airplane is experimental to boot.

I use A.J. Gallagher, and they seem to love finding affordable policies for challenging situations.
Thanks i will give them a try but i have 0 time and i own the plane i think that is where they are confused they keep asking how many hours i have and they do not understand i purchased plane to get my license and build time.

If they don't understand that, you have the wrong broker.

I've used Ryan Konrath with Wings Insurnace: rkonrath@wingsinsurance.com

Now I have more than 0 hours by a good bit, but he does great with transitions/upgrades, etc.

We all start with 0 hours and flight schools get insurance just fine for that. You shouldn't have any problem. Lots of people have done what you're doing.

Thanks for the encouragement i keep plugging away filling out quotes Time will tell.

Do you have a third-class medical yet? You'll need that, then you can schedule a lesson at an airport, and announce yourself to the insurance as a "student pilot".

I did get my medical waiting to here from a CFI i contacted. I have been studying for knowledge test figure i could get that out of the way during the winter.

I didn't have 0 time, but I was still a student when I bought my plane. I had multiple quotes and this was about a year ago.

Do you have an instructor/school lined up yet? My policy simply said, you can't fly without an instructor until you are solo qualified. I had to add my instructor as a named insured - school's requirement.

I'm guessing you are asking the question the wrong way. Use a broker, and don't fill out an online form. "I am a student pilot, receiving instruction from XYZ school and I own the airplane I am learning in"

One other thought, you might want to get your first 10 hours or so in a school plane vs yours. Then get insurance.

Nobody asked what kind of plane??????

Contact AOPA Insurance.
No, they are not an insurance company. But they will find you an underwriter.
No, you do not need to be an AOPA member to give them money.
No, you do not have to have N number of hours to get insurance. That's an OWT. Somebody's lying to you.

I was in your situation before. Had no problems securing insurance. They were willing to take my money. LOTS of it but they took it. :)

Good luck!

Important tip - once you give a tail (N) number to a broker, you're going to be pretty much locked in with that broker for quotes for a given underwriter (the underwriters don't want the brokers knowingly competing with each other for the same policy). Tell the " a 19XX Cessna 150, with this hull value" but don't give them the N number until you're ready to bind the policy. This way you can get quotes from multiple brokers. Travers Aviation is another well-established broker that I'm sure can handle your needs.

Wow i did not no it was that competitive. I no i do not need insurance just want to cover my investment. It cant be that bad i am hoping.

Congrats and welcome. Where in the Hudson valley?

I live in sullivan county Neversink Plane is in orange county at a private airport

You won’t be flying without an instructor anyway. No loan it sounds. You don’t NEED to have insurance, not that I’m recommending that.

I guess a tornado could level your hangar. Sniff around a bit, like I said you won’t be solo anyway. I think you could find coverage with a little looking.

I bought a plane with zero hours and got it insured with AOPA for less than my auto insurance and a more expensive plane. It is not true that your need your medical to get insurance. I got my medical almost four months later when I was ready to solo.

I moved away from AOPA but they were easy to buy through.

****In hindsight, only an idiot would buy a plane without a medical. I puckered once I realized my cart-before-horse move.

Are you trying to get insurance through the phone, or by emailing..?

Hi All let me say hello wonderful site. So here is my story i allays dreamed of flying and waited to i was mature 52 still a little crazy. Anyway i purchased a plane a 150 low time i have a hangar at a private airport in the Hudson valley. I need advice on insurance for the aircraft it seems being i have 0 time no one will talk to me. I am hoping somebody can give me a few choices here any help would be appreciated.
Welcome to POA. Good luck with your training.

Congrats, i addition to studying for the knowledge test, check out youtube, I hear that is very helpful.

You won’t be flying without an instructor anyway. No loan it sounds. You don’t NEED to have insurance, not that I’m recommending that.

I guess a tornado could level your hangar. Sniff around a bit, like I said you won’t be solo anyway. I think you could find coverage with a little looking.
Or you could taxi into a half-million-dollar Cirrus.

Thanks for all the replies i have been filling out online forms but no luck i am going to start calling brokers. I am very excited to start flying. My daughter is going to get the 150 after i obtain my PPL so she can work on hers. There is a lot of info on you tube for the knowledge test. the old jeppson dvd series is on there a little outdated but still a good study.

Thanks for this. I searched and found this thread for a 170 that I don't have time in and they were super helpful and got me the best pricing compared to others. Also a pleasure to deal with.

Another fan of A.J. Gallagher here now.

I am very pleased with AJ Gallagher. Fair rates very helpful

Give Travers a call. They may cover you dual only, until you meet certain amount of hours.

The two happiest moments in any airplane owners life:
  1. The day he buys an airplane
  2. The day he gets to solo in that airplane
Welcome to PoA!

I used Falcon. I was O tailwheel time and it was very reasonable...

I didn’t get the happy day the day I bought- it was the next day when we entered the traffic pattern at home that a lump got on my throat - it was real! The day of purchase was so mission oriented I did t have time for it to sink it it was really “mine” lol.

Welcome and congrats!

I bought a plane with zero hours and got it insured with AOPA for less than my auto insurance and a more expensive plane. It is not true that your need your medical to get insurance. I got my medical almost four months later when I was ready to solo.

I moved away from AOPA but they were easy to buy through.

****In hindsight, only an idiot would buy a plane without a medical. I puckered once I realized my cart-before-horse move.

Pilots only make sound decisions when they are flying (mostly) and that’s all it matters

Back