How big is the Copper State fly-in?

DMD3.

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DMD3.
Someone just told me about the Copperstate fly-in in Buckeye AZ., and according to them it was a pretty good turnout. How big is it compared to Osh or Sun N Fun?

It’s this BIG!

I actually have no clue. Sorry!

Compared to OSH and SNF, it barely registers but if you live out there, it’s probably a great show. It’s all relative as they say and bigger is not always better.

I went yesterday and it seemed to have a lot of people for that size airport, but I've seen more at an military open house air show. I did see a lot of little kids there with their parents who were there for the air show. No temporary control tower though. I don't know if that would have helped the guy who landed while the air show was in progress tuned into the wrong frequency and somehow unaware of the NOTAM and the AWOS message closing the airport during the performance.

I saw that guy also, a 172 or 82 I believe. I thought for a 1st year event at Buckeye it was a pretty good turnout, despite some confusion on where some planes got parked (in a dirt area). Overall I was impressed. I took some pictures for General Aviation News and the editor tells me they might be online tomorrow if anyone is interested, but I really never know ahead of time what they will publish.

We displayed the AP sign in the windshield for general airport parking, but were directed to the static display area where many spectators and little kids were wandering around. I was glad a volunteer arrived in a golf cart to keep them back.

One of the volunteers, a CFI I know, told me the wrong landing pilot knew about Copperstate and flew to Buckeye for that reason. Yet he didn't properly brief the particulars. The FSDO personnel on site had a discussion with him.

Back