uAvionix skyBeacon Installed - Cherokee 140

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
Don't have much to say as I haven't actually tested it out yet, but had this installed yesterday. Configured on the app on my iPhone, which was very easy and smooth - really didn't have to do much.

I suspect the little fin will reduce wing tip vortices by ~25% and give us another 20 knots.

IMG-0696.JPG IMG-0697.JPG InkedIMG-0695_LI.jpg

Pretty cool! How long did the install take?

Pretty cool! How long did the install take?

I wasn’t there for the install but it must have been pretty dang quick cause it was supposed to be installed Friday afternoon and when I got to the hangar it was already done. We didn’t hook up the strobe (we would have to run the wire which we may do as some point) so I bet it took him less than 30 mins.

So if the LH wing is flying 20 knots faster than the RH wing, does that mean every flight is a great circle route? ;)

So if the LH wing is flying 20 knots faster than the RH wing, does that mean every flight is a great circle route? ;)

That’s correct...until we get the matching right side :)

Isn’t there an LED indicator at the end of the little “fin”? I thought that was a reversible tab for high wing/low wing applications, but I’m probably incorrect. Or just plane (ha) wrong.

Isn’t there an LED indicator at the end of the little “fin”? I thought that was a reversible tab for high wing/low wing applications, but I’m probably incorrect. Or just plane (ha) wrong.

Hmm I guess I will have to look next time I am out at the hangar

There is an LED on the "fin". If you install the unit on a low wing AC, you likely won't be able to see it when seated in the aircraft.

My EFIS is in KTS and my backup airspeed indicator is in MPH. The poor plane gets confused.

Did you need a adapter? I'm working with the Makers Local to design and 3D print an adapter for my wingtip.

My EFIS is in KTS and my backup airspeed indicator is in MPH. The poor plane gets confused.

Well Candy is either bilingual, bi-polar or bisexual. Maybe all three?

In case anyone cares, I passed ADS-B certification flight. Actually didn't even think about getting the test report until after the flight when I remembered that it would meet all the requirements.

Excellent! Do you have the stock wing tips? I've got the Metco-Air tips (reused the original nav lights (Grimes?) and was wondering if there is a fit issue with the Metco wing tips.

With the Met-Co-Aire, you have to remove the wingtip and buy nylocks and washers for the three bolts.

Back