What's legal ?

Not at all,,, The liability issue is too great for me.

The question was simply, Is it legal?
FSDO says this
the FAA does not recognize tags issued from Repair Stations, They only recognize 8130-3 tags. They leave the airworthiness to the installer. And would only get involved if there were a smoking hole.
In the case of a crankshaft, it will be assigned a Serial number when it is inspected and reworked. That serial number record would be deadly In a liability suit.
I like my house, no way Would I sell a red tagged item as good.
I have sold used cranks, they went as USED as REMOVED. (cheap)
ya but....that's not illegal. :rolleyes:

Not at all,,, The liability issue is too great for me.

The question was simply, Is it legal?
FSDO says this
the FAA does not recognize tags issued from Repair Stations, They only recognize 8130-3 tags. They leave the airworthiness to the installer. And would only get involved if there were a smoking hole.
Sounds right.

Liability issues are too complex for a answer based solely on the tag "history." The fact someone effectively said, "part condemned" would certainly be helpful to a plaintiff. OTOH, IMO, not much different in the "smoking hole" situation than with a green tag if you were the one who serviced it, decided it was airworthy, and used it.

So bottom line, it's legal, but probably impractical from a liability perspective.
Pretty much yes, but I think impractical depends. Is the equipment available to service it Old West blacksmith forge, anvil and hammer or modern machinist, effectively re-manufacturing a bent crankshaft to as new specs, or somewhere in between?

FSDO says this... the FAA does not recognize tags issued from Repair Stations, They only recognize 8130-3 tags. They leave the airworthiness to the installer. And would only get involved if there were a smoking hole.
Interesting the local FSDO passes on the RS documents. I've read Administrative enforcement reports involving salvaged helicopter drive system parts (non-life limited) that were "scrapped" through a RS process and ended up back on the open market. One part possessor made the case he determined the parts were serviceable per a general provision in the MM. The Feds countered where in that MM provision does it give OEM guidance to "un-scrap" part. They hit him with a performance violation per 43.13.

But I agree on not messing with red-tagged items or similar. It always seems easier on the plank-wing side to trace back parts to original. On rotorcraft it's always an adventure to go back far enough in a parts history to ensure there are no hidden red tags or other issues. Sometimes it's just not worth it.

Last edited:
The answer to your question is yes, I can. If the "disqualifying" flaw doesn't exist in the manufacturer service literature (both the OH manual as well as any subsequent service letters/bulletins) then the red tag is the opinion of one person and my opinion is as valid as theirs. And no, the opinion of the CRS does NOT need to be logged in the permanent records. If the crank needs service, then I'll tell the shop what I want done and if they don't want to do it my way, I'll find a shop that has a different opinion.

Jim

I'd take this as gospel and run with it.

You mean a "good" crankshaft? o_O

One reason why I used the UK link. " Good" can be very subjective.

I don’t live in the UK. In the US, good means it has a 8130 tag and is legal to used and bad means it doesn’t. It’s black and white.

In the US, good means it has a 8130 tag and is legal to used and bad means it doesn’t. It’s black and white.

No it's not. An 8130 is not required. Further, with that line of thinking how old does the 8130 have to be before the part is no longer considered "good"? It is very common to see tagged, unused parts that are 15 or more years old. Something could have happened to those parts since they were tagged.

Tagged or not, it is up to the mechanic installing the part to determine if the part is acceptable for use.

I don’t live in the UK. In the US, good means it has a 8130 tag and is legal to used and bad means it doesn’t. It’s black and white.

Physics in the UK is the same as in the US last I noticed.

Do you have anything of value to add to the discussion or are you just here to give Tom a hard time? You seem to enjoy stirring the pot.

Do you have anything of value to add to the discussion or are you just here to give Tom a hard time? You seem to enjoy stirring the pot.
Tom seems to actually enjoy it. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't continue with these sort of threads otherwise.

I have a few decades of aircraft maintenance experience and opinions about the subject. Is that stirring the pot because they differ from someone else's? :confused:

PS There is more than one way to install a rivet, overhaul an engine, etc, etc.

Last edited:
Back