I think I’ve asked this before, but we have a new group here...

Kritchlow

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Kritchlow
Has anyone seen an arrow from the past navigation airway system?
Either from the air or ground?

Extremely interesting part of aviation history that *should* NEVER die.

I remember reading about this. I would love to go find the arrows. I know they're still there, probably overgrown.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

There are apparently a number of the. still visible in some western states

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-6_7-52-41.jpeg
    upload_2019-2-6_7-52-41.jpeg
    581.6 KB · Views: 47
I remember a thread on this in the past.

We've come a long way, baby. Both in Navigation and on this here forum.

I’ve overflown a couple of them when my route took me close enough. One of these days I need to actually drive to one of the arrows and check it out.

Don't recall seeing an arrow (maybe it was there but overgrown) but I did see and recognize one of the original Airway Beacon towers
outside Elkins, WV some years ago. It was still in use - repurposed to hold aloft 2-way radio antennas for the Forest Service.

Dave

There were a bunch of those airway beacons, especially near well-traveled passes. I remember seeing some of these in Banning Pass at night when I was a kid.

View attachment 71440

Banning pass..... where you had to go east bound during the day and westbound at night.

Looking at the old 1930's charts, each airfield along an airway is numbered (see here for example on the Cleveland-Chicago route). I believe the fields/arrows were numbered west to east and south to north.

Can anyone confirm if the red number on the chart by each field or beacon corresponds to the number that would have been on the ground?

Grants-Milan Municipal Airport in New Mexico.

http://www.cibolahistory.org/airway-heritage-museum.html

There is an old arrow a little east of the Gallup airport. It is the same color as the ground so it can be hard to find. I don't know why it is so easy to see in this picture.

7831862_orig.jpg

Grants-Milan Municipal Airport in New Mexico.

http://www.cibolahistory.org/airway-heritage-museum.html

There is an old arrow a little east of the Gallup airport. It is the same color as the ground so it can be hard to find. I don't know why it is so easy to see in this picture.

7831862_orig.jpg
Very interesting! I'll have to look for that on the way to Osh this year. I landed at Grants-Milan in 2017 because of a pee emergency (was trying to make it to Albuquerque!). Ray at the FBO is the nicest guy.

Back