Instrument rating

Most of your private will be physical coordination issues. Most of your instrument will be brain work. Everybody has different abilities.
Remember that you need 50 hours of XC PIC time before you can take your instrument checkride. Some of that can be done during specific instrument training, but in most cases, you''re going to have to do some additional flying to get the experience.

Most of your private will be physical coordination issues. Most of your instrument will be brain work. Everybody has different abilities.
Remember that you need 50 hours of XC PIC time before you can take your instrument checkride. Some of that can be done during specific instrument training, but in most cases, you''re going to have to do some additional flying to get the experience.

And be sure to do some FUN flying between lessons to accomplish that - After all, fun is why we do it, right?

Do be sure that you get some good XC in your instrument training, too. That's what you'll be using the rating for after you get it. The one required XC really isn't enough, IMO, to develop the "rhythm" of a real-world operational IFR flight. Do some 1.5-hour legs and such in addition to just going and shooting approaches.

Cirrus recommends 6 month reviews alternating between vfr and ifr. I guess we cirrus pilots need more training. Just did my first vfr one, it was fun.

Takes a lot of muscle memory to pull the handle, especially if you don't do it often enough! :p

I recently received my instrument rating. It’s funny, before I began I had the same questions you have. I remember asking fellow pilots if it’s possible for me being an average person questioning if I had the right stuff or not. I had basic VOR abilities it was just applying what I had previously learned to get to the next level. I’ll admit, it was a jumbled mess and I was wondering if I was ever going to get it but it all started to come into focus. If I can do it you can do it. If I can give you any advice i would recommend be to learn steam first with a simulator.

Takes a lot of muscle memory to pull the handle, especially if you don't do it often enough! :p

You laugh, but I screwed up a practice engine out, didn't make the runway, the answer was, "this is a caps pull". (Not really for those who might think I pulled, a little power saved the day.)

What helped for me was having a safety pilot and we took turns under the hood. Spent many hours flying to precision. Climbs, descents, radial intercepts etc. When training started, I was comfortable flying on gauges (we didn't have AP) so that made easier to work through the structured training. Being comfortable flying first, makes it easier to work the mental process IFR flight requires

The IR is challenging, but I'm confident with the effort, application and time, you can do it.

I'd argue the question you need to wrestle with is not "if I can do it," rather, "why do I want to do it."

It will: make you a better pilot, give you travel flexibility, put you on a path to higher capabilities, deepen your understanding of the aircraft and ATC systems, and more. It will also cost around $10k (my personal experience) and take 6-12 months, part-time. It *can* also let you put yourself in more hazardous situations.

I loved every minute of it.

I recently received my instrument rating. It’s funny, before I began I had the same questions you have. I remember asking fellow pilots if it’s possible for me being an average person questioning if I had the right stuff or not. I had basic VOR abilities it was just applying what I had previously learned to get to the next level. I’ll admit, it was a jumbled mess and I was wondering if I was ever going to get it but it all started to come into focus. If I can do it you can do it. If I can give you any advice i would recommend be to learn steam first with a simulator.

“Jumbled mess” is exactly where I am now. I have a terabyte of IFR knowledge I’m trying to shove on to a 5-1/4” floppy disk of a brain. I can do the impossible tho...

Back