Age and Getting Paid to Fly

VWGhiaBob

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
VWGhiaBob
Can 60 somethings with IFR and Commercial ~750 hours TAA qualified get paid for ANY pilot jobs...like cargo...or charter...or Surf Air...or??????? Asking for a friend. Well actually asking for moi.

Happy to go out and get Multi if needed, but ATP not realistic!

You can definitely CFI

Can 60 somethings with IFR and Commercial ~750 hours TAA qualified get paid for ANY pilot jobs...like cargo...or charter...or Surf Air...or??????? Asking for a friend. Well actually asking for moi.

You've got regionals hiring people at 62 years old with only 3 years to fly until mandatory retirement. I've seen older pilots in pics for Ameriflight flying cargo, etc. I think as long as you qualify with the hours they are looking for, etc, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Plenty of 135 ops will hire. Especially if they know your not going to jump ship in 6 months to the airlines.

Yeah there’s no age limit for a CFI. If all else fails, that’s always there. 135’s don’t care about age, as long as you can hold your medical, so keep that in mind.

I'll be going back to Alaska at age 60 to do bush flying. The kind where the pilot loads/unloads the plane, fuels, cleans up the barf and doesn't land on runways.

I'll be going back to Alaska at age 60 to do bush flying. The kind where the pilot loads/unloads the plane, fuels, cleans up the barf and doesn't land on runways.

Sounds like my kinda flight.

The hours are likely going to be more of the problem than the age. To get into what you’re asking about more time is going to be needed unless you find a VFR operation to work for or sit right seat for a while to get your time up.

A potential employer's insurance carrier will determine whether or not you are employable with so few hours....don't get your hopes up.

Bob

The hours are likely going to be more of the problem than the age. To get into what you’re asking about more time is going to be needed unless you find a VFR operation to work for or sit right seat for a while to get your time up.
Just curious...what type of hours do they usually look for?

Just curious...what type of hours do they usually look for?

Right now most of the job ads I’ve seen for things like cargo, etc. reflect the IFR 135 minimums. 1200 hours, 100 night, 75 instrument, etc. With less hours than that your options are going to be limited but there is work out there.

Right now most of the job ads I’ve seen for things like cargo, etc. reflect the IFR 135 minimums. 1200 hours, 100 night, 75 instrument, etc. With less hours than that your options are going to be limited but there is work out there.
Those are PIC numbers. He can get a job flying right seat in a Caravan or pilatus with like ~500 hours. He can probably find an SIC jet job as well once he gets his MEL

Those are PIC numbers. He can get a job flying right seat in a Caravan or pilatus with like ~500 hours. He can probably find an SIC jet job as well once he gets his MEL

Read my original post. I never said he couldn’t. ;)

There are indeed jobs out there with less than IFR 135 PIC minimums. But are they really jobs you want or do they pay enough to make it worth your while? Depends on your point of view.

Just look at places like capeair or tradewinds air.

Many will hire you, but you may not like jobs available due to the working conditions.

Look into Photo and survey companies. Some have 500 hour minimums. I am close to your situation, will be 59 in June, and working on my commercial. Completed my written today and the check ride will be in a couple weeks. I have a photo/survey company interested. They want to hear back once I complete my commercial. Flying a 206 and they have Aztecs.

So, there are opportunities for us

Edit

Capeair First Officer 135

135 OPERATION
  • FAA commercial multi-engine licenses w/instrument rating

• First Class Medical

• 500 hours total time

• 100 hours XC (point-to-point)

• 25 hours night

• 25 hours Instrument (Actual, simulated or FTD)

• 25 hour ME (preferred)

• Preferred:
    • Bachelors degree from an AABI accredited school

• 1 Year of full-time instruction

Last edited:
One member here got hired at Tradewind flying a PC12 in the Carribean with about 700-800 or so total hours. And I know about 300+ of that was 152 time from a plane he bought just to build hours.

What about flying skydivers? Many of their ads talk about 500 hours.

I did part 135 in my sixties,before my ATP.

I think anything Part 135 is 500 hours with commercial legal, though they may want more before hiring. Also for 135 as long as you can hold a 2nd class medical and can climb the stairs, no retirement limits I believe.

I think anything Part 135 is 500 hours with commercial legal, though they may want more before hiring. Also for 135 as long as you can hold a 2nd class medical and can climb the stairs, no retirement limits I believe.
Two points... I * believe* I’m correct, but someone may set the record straight...

1) IFR PIC 135 is 1200 hours. VFR PIC is 500 hours. Not sure what you meant by “anything Part 135”.
2) No retirement limimits per se, but to be PIC international I believe the age is 65. So, if the company does international flying....

To the OP- It truly depends on what type of commercial aviation you are interested. Some of the lower level stuff may be doable. Much more would be attainable with some more hours and an ATP certificate.

Two points... I * believe* I’m correct, but someone may set the record straight...

1) IFR PIC 135 is 1200 hours. VFR PIC is 500 hours. Not sure what you meant by “anything Part 135”.
2) No retirement limimits per se, but to be PIC international I believe the age is 65. So, if the company does international flying....

To the OP- It truly depends on what type of commercial aviation you are interested. Some of the lower level stuff may be doable. Much more would be attainable with some more hours and an ATP certificate.

Thanks, that's what these boards are for because sometimes the answers are hard to pin down between the FAR's and the hangar opinions. It never occurred to me that the IFR time would be more, but it makes sense.

Just to add, I have flown for Pt 135 operations that required a 1st class and ATP. 1200 hours (IFR minimums) was minimum but around 2500 hours made a pilot more competitive for hiring.

A friend of mine went to a regional at age 62. After a year they wanted to move him up but he decided to stay in the right seat until his age kicked him out.

Back