Retirement Project: wood vs metal

Pounder

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Pounder
new guy here. But, not new to the “sport”.. trying to establish some successful posts.

I’m keeping an old Gullwing airworthy. (Family owned since 1963)

Ive owned, operated (and done extensive work on) two RV4’s. Loved flying them. Simple to maintain.

Now considerIng a retirement project.
I’m intrigued with the wood ships, eg the falcons and GP4. But I’m leaning toward an RV as I consider time-to-build.

Any “wood” purests in the house? Better, anyone with experience in both, wood and
metal?

Bryan,

South East Michigan

Is resale value of any concern here?
If so my vote goes to the RV.

Yes, and a -7 in particular makes sense.

Bryan,
What part of SE Michigan?
Didn’t realize there were any Gullwings close.
Dave

EBCD5998-E801-451B-811E-9C7830D801C6.jpeg Hi Dave,

I’m in Rochester Hills. My hanger is at Ray Community. (57D) go2ray.com

The Gullwing was purchased from war department, 1946 and based in the Detroit area.

My dad owned and operated it in the Flint area from 1963 through 1977. There was a period of a few years in there where he recovered it.

I took it over in 1987. By then the airplane needed some attention. I extracted it from Flint around 1995 and hauled it to Memphis where I lived, then had it flying again in 97. I moved to the Dallas area in 98. Repainted it on 2000/2001.

I moved back to MI a few years ago and brought the airplane back last June.

Unless you have a customer that already has a preference.
I’m the primary customer. The -7 seems like the smartest choice for a number of reasons. Resale is not the least of them.

Build what you want to build, with materials you enjoy working with. If resale value is a major concern, homebuilt airplanes are a poor choice regardless of type.

Of course, this IS about building. It’s generally cheaper to buy someone else’s labor!

It seems like you know your way around radial engines.
I don’t and realized this is a historically
Important airplane after I bought it.
Not actively for sale, just would love to see it finished correctly.
1928 Culver Clipped Wing Dart, Model I.
Dave

Attachments

• 422D9364-111D-4CBA-9878-A20F777A481B.jpeg
    422D9364-111D-4CBA-9878-A20F777A481B.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 58
  • 4E54F15A-A06F-4521-B5EE-C22EC9DB422C.jpeg
    4E54F15A-A06F-4521-B5EE-C22EC9DB422C.jpeg
    119.1 KB · Views: 59
Beautiful ship, Dave! What is current condition, undergoing total restoration?

What @Dana said... other than the resale thing. If you're a craftsman able and willing to produce a really nice airplane, some kit planes sell quite well for pretty good money.

I'm building a Fisher Celebrity. I know I could buy one for less than it will cost me to build it, and I know if I have to sell it I won't get what it cost me to build. Don't really care, I'm building it for me, not the next guy.

Aircraft-quality wood is getting rarer, and more expensive. Wicks no longer carries spar material, which limits your potential supply sources.

In the Fly Baby community, we've been looking at how to convert to aluminum spars....

Ron Wanttaja

Current condition of the Dart. Has the N-number of the original clipped Wing.
Dave

Attachments

• 9BB86952-211B-49FE-A034-5CD7180742E0.jpeg
    9BB86952-211B-49FE-A034-5CD7180742E0.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 411CF316-3D7A-447F-AF80-78F4BC9FEC6C.jpeg
    411CF316-3D7A-447F-AF80-78F4BC9FEC6C.jpeg
    199.2 KB · Views: 42
  • FF0014FC-4B1D-4F31-82E5-D64A8256802E.jpeg
    FF0014FC-4B1D-4F31-82E5-D64A8256802E.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 44
What @Dana said... other than the resale thing. If you're a craftsman able and willing to produce a really nice airplane, some kit planes sell quite well for pretty good money.

I'm building a Fisher Celebrity. I know I could buy one for less than it will cost me to build it, and I know if I have to sell it I won't get what it cost me to build. Don't really care, I'm building it for me, not the next guy.
Every time I build an aircraft just for me, some body offers me too much money for it.

Every time I build an aircraft just for me, some body offers me too much money for it.
It can happen. I know a guy who is finishing his second RV-10 for that reason.

new guy here. But, not new to the “sport”.. trying to establish some successful posts.

I’m keeping an old Gullwing airworthy. (Family owned since 1963)

Ive owned, operated (and done extensive work on) two RV4’s. Loved flying them. Simple to maintain.

Now considerIng a retirement project.
I’m intrigued with the wood ships, eg the falcons and GP4. But I’m leaning toward an RV as I consider time-to-build.

Any “wood” purests in the house? Better, anyone with experience in both, wood and
metal?

Bryan,

South East Michigan
Any consideration of composites?

+1 for composites. But building any airplane is just darn cool

+1 for composites. But building any airplane is just darn cool

Build a composite plane, then put a chute on it like a Cirrus :D
If it was me I would build a new Christen Eagle or a Pitts Model 12! I have owned both and they are both fabulous airplanes.

If you are building with the intent to sell, the best numbers seem to be on the ELSA RV12.

I've never built a plane but if it were me, I'd lean towards the RV of your choice. A lot of people really like them and there's a very large support community. Let alone the resale value would be much higher on a metal vs wood plane. The only thing I've heard is buy good tools to build one. It will save you in the long run. Good luck!!!

I built an RV-7A and love the plane. Great XC or local flying machine, fast and efficient (160 KTAS on 8 GPH at 8500-9500). If I build another, it will be an RV-10.

View attachment 71241 Hi Dave,

I’m in Rochester Hills. My hanger is at Ray Community. (57D) go2ray.com

The Gullwing was purchased from war department, 1946 and based in the Detroit area.

My dad owned and operated it in the Flint area from 1963 through 1977. There was a period of a few years in there where he recovered it.

I took it over in 1987. By then the airplane needed some attention. I extracted it from Flint around 1995 and hauled it to Memphis where I lived, then had it flying again in 97. I moved to the Dallas area in 98. Repainted it on 2000/2001.

I moved back to MI a few years ago and brought the airplane back last June.
V-77 "Tudor", Cool!

I’d go with an RV-14 over a 7 if you’re thinking about buying new kits from Vans vs someone else’s orphan.

If you are a networking type of person, and plan to use that a lot in your building, I would consider the availability and quality of online resources...plus the attitude of the members.
Some clubs are truly helpful and really open with good advice...others not so much.

Back