There's cold, and then there's EFFING cold!

Woke at the cabin one morning a few years ago to -50*. Had to get the snowgos running, add layers to the wife's clothing, and figure out how to keep the dog warm enough for the 30 mile ride. Got to the truck and it took 3 hours to preheat and get it started. Good times. Not!

If any of you is worried about water lines freezing in the cold? Let the faucet trickle a little. It'll keep it from freezing up. That was common practice when I was a kid.

We are at -7F, college students here are petitioning to cancel school, bunch of babies.

I made it to school everyday when it was -20F in Watertown South Dakota. Hell one of student in my class was from south African country, that dude wore a winter coat when it +50F outside and he still made it to class in -20F.

We're only minus 3. While Lake Michigan can punish us with that lake effect snow, while it's not frozen completely over, it does temper the cold a little bit.

It's like the movie Zombieland out there right now. My office is on one of the busier roads in the state, and there's no cars on it. I saw 2 cars on my drive in to work.

It was a great drive in. No traffic at all. Looking out the office windows it looks like a ghost town.

It's been mentioned that melting of glaciers could change the salt content in the water, which could theoretically slow or even stop the Gulf Stream which would mean MUCH colder here.

Don't worry. When that happens the glaciers will freeze again, which will the cause the Gulf Stream to return. . . .

It can't be that cold... after all

f0205b188d6c107dbccbf11182e14ef1.jpg

A long night for my Ohio team. Utility had some malfunction that not only caused an outage, but several pole mounted transformers in the area started on fire. Generator backups spun up with only minor issues due to the cold. 32 generators of 250kw to 1500kw in size keeping things running in less than ideal conditions. Going to be a long day too.

My "little brother" (Big Brothers program) now in his 20's, works for a line company at DEN. Due to a shortage of personnel, he was temporarily assigned to MSP - just in time for this.

His comment: "It's hard to guide airplanes when your nuts are purple."

A long night for my Ohio team. Utility had some malfunction that not only caused an outage, but several pole mounted transformers in the area started on fire. Generator backups spun up with only minor issues due to the cold. 32 generators of 250kw to 1500kw in size keeping things running in less than ideal conditions. Going to be a long day too.

I've been seeing messages on Facebook about SE MI residents being told to turn their heat down - A fire at a natural gas compressor station took out the pumps, so they only have what was already compressed in the tank. Normally not a problem, but with the temps being what they are and increased demand, they're afraid it won't last until they get the pumps running again. GM and others have already closed up some plants and sent everyone home so they can turn the heat down in response.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...ortex-gm-chrysler-ford-shifts-gas/2730055002/

I got an emergency alert on my phone saying to keep my heat turned down to 65 until Friday. It's always at 65 except from 7am to 8am and 5pm to 11pm when it's a balmy 68

Just wait, the green movement will mandate energy conservation through thermostat settings.

(Ever feel like you live in a sinking ship?)

Just wait, the green movement will mandate energy conservation through thermostat settings.

(Ever feel like you live in a sinking ship?)

Maybe you feel that way because global warming is causing rising sea levels. :D :rofl:

Gawd bless Texas weather.... Were going to see shorts/t-shirt weather on Monday, then winter parka weather 3 days later...

Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 1.34.09 PM.png

I’m not seeing the ‘winter parka weather’.
Reminder, if the Dallas weather guys even sneeze "icing on roads" the various powers that are will shut down the entire state.

For you up near KC, colder temps, snow, and a bit of frozen precipitation is business as usual.

Will I get banhammered for posting a video where there is auditory cussing?

For sooo many, they paid for the option, but have nary a clue how to put it to proper use.
It's for driving on the shoulder, fast, to get around the slow moving traffic that's creeping through the sloppy stuff, then sliding into the median or ditch to the point of needing to be winched out.

That's how I usually see it being used.

The most recent was an Escalade stuck to the axles in mud, last Thursday.

I wonder what the range on the EV's are when it's -10F. Hey Tesla fanboys @flyingcheesehead and @deonb what say you?

Keep in mind that I live in Seattle so I’ve been playing golf all of this week while this stuff was going on over there...

From what I’ve heard though I would plan for the range to be halved below 0. But coldest I’ve personally been in is around 10 degrees, and range was down maybe 25%. It just doesn’t get that cold here.

Well, here goes.

Test, one, two....

First attempt at a post. I’m a recent newbi here. Every time I log on I’m informed that I cannot post until I have ay least 5 posts..

Confused.

I’m a long time, aviation obsessed. Prior military. Soon-to-retire airline guy. Considering a project for retirement.

Yep, it’s cold outside.

Well, here goes.

Test, one, two....

First attempt at a post. I’m a recent newbi here. Every time I log on I’m informed that I cannot post until I have ay least 5 posts..

Confused.

I’m a long time, aviation obsessed. Prior military. Soon-to-retire airline guy. Considering a project for retirement.

Yep, it’s cold outside.

You may have been trying to post a link or a picture in your first 5 posts, which triggered the "you can't do that"

Well, here goes.

Test, one, two....

Confused.

Yep, it’s cold outside.
Welcome to POA! :cheers:

I've never been a big fan of the heat index or wind chill factors. If it's 100 degrees outside it's hot. You don't have to exaggerate it and say with the sun shining on you it feels like it's 110. I kinda feel the same about wind chill. It's going to be friggin cold here tomorrow at zero degrees. I don't think the weather girl needs to exaggerate it by telling me that the wind will be blowing so it's going to feel colder. I guess it would be different if I was planning on working outside all day. I'm not. Because it's going to be cold.

Heat index and cold chill are both results from pop media, specifically “news”, 24/7, trying to make drama..

Welcome! Oh, and a Beech 18 would get my vote! :)
Hmm... beech 18. Major cool. But I’m tapped enough with a “little” R680 and it’s 2B20; I may have to put the old Reliant on the market to fund a follow on.

Anyone interested in a flying V77 ?

I wore a T-shirt and shorts all week here in Southern California

I wonder what the range on the EV's are when it's -10F. Hey Tesla fanboys @flyingcheesehead and @deonb what say you?

The worst I ever saw was in the dead of winter last year, my 114-mile-rated i3 only went 90.

All vehicles are subject to higher aero drag (thicker cold air) and more rolling resistance in the winter. ICEVs also run a richer mixture, but finally get to use all that waste heat they create all year long for something useful.

EVs have to use extra energy to heat the cabin, but there's less energy available with a cold battery. This is at least somewhat ameliorated by the fact that you can run the heat from "shore power" when you have it plugged in, so on your way to work in the morning the cabin will be toasty warm as soon as you get in it, and you don't really have to run the heat unless you have a really long commute - I used to commute about 15 miles with no cabin heat, just by having the cabin heated before I left and using the seat and steering wheel heaters I was perfectly comfortable.

There's certainly some EVs that do better than others, though. I'm a member of several different model-specific EV groups on Facebook (Tesla, Tesla Model 3, Rav4 EV, Bolt, Volt, i3, etc) and it's been interesting reading about some people's experiences with the extreme cold. The worst was someone who had parked outside but only had L1 (110V) charging available, and their car decided that since it was plugged in, it could run the battery heater... Which takes more than the 1.4 kW that L1 charging provides, so their battery went dead. I think that might have been on an i3, but I can't remember specifically.

Clearly, the manufacturers need to pay more attention to the cold climates even though their biggest market in the US is California. Tesla is in pretty good shape because their second-biggest market, aside from the US, is Norway. But the ones who are selling "compliance cars" so that they can sell pickups and SUVs in CARB states need some work.

Back