Accident at KMOD, my home airport

Just down the road from you here in Turlock. Actually it is simple to start a plane even without the keys, but a few crucial thing must happen.

NIce to see another valley person here. I know the procedure to start a C150 and C172, but i can't figure out how they did it if they weren't in the plane... Can't wait for the FAA report on this one.

Brian

That's the wrong way to switch from a V-tail to a straight tail Bo.

Easy. If you don’t check the ignition switch in the mags off position before you pull mixture to shut down, you won’t know that you have a bad p-lead and end up with a hot mag even with the keys off and out. If you then have the mixture pushed and turn the prop (to push or pull the plane or put the tow bar on) the engine may start. A few things have to happen in a row, and that’s indeed what an accident chain (or Swiss cheese wheel lining up) is all about.

^^^ Yup. Gotta remember that the ignition switch is active-off/passive-on, which is opposite of automobiles

Maybe he was letting the engine warm up while he was completing the preflight?

There are at least four tales of Aeronca Champs getting away - and I mean actually FLYING away with no one onboard. There was one in Florida, Ohio and New York and the last one was in 2001 that took off from Sonoma County and flew for 90 minutes before crashing up near Lake Berryessa.

Stuff happens....

The news report states "The small airplane was being PREPPED for a flight..." I think they heard it wrong when someone told them it had been "PROPPED."

When I worked in Bethel, AK, two State Troupers thought they knew how to hand prop a C-206... It got away from them and flew away by itself, but not before inflicting the damage in these photos...

Alaska_36.jpg Alaska_37.jpg Alaska_34.jpg

That would be a crazy sight to see a pilotless plane fast taxiing across the airport!

Did you miss this summer's Cirrus into a hangar video?

NIce to see another valley person here. I know the procedure to start a C150 and C172, but i can't figure out how they did it if they weren't in the plane... Can't wait for the FAA report on this one.

Brian
A similar thing happened around here about 6-8 months ago. A pilot went to preflight his 182, and pulled the prop through due to a dead battery and the mag wasn’t grounded and it started up right there and killed him.

Might want to learn how such a thing can happen without anyone ever being inside the airplane. May save your life one day.

Really? You never heard of hand prop? I had to hand prop my 140 last month when the battery was dead. I hand prop my Cub each time I fly it.
I could see someone having to much throttle.
From a different article:

A pair of pilots were reportedly working on the electrical system of a single-engine Beech V35B, manipulating the propeller, but said it wouldn’t start. When the pilots walked away, the propeller suddenly engaged on its own and taxied away, hitting a car and a fence.
The first part I believe. The second, not. But they are at least claiming that it started on its own.

From a different article:

The first part I believe. The second, not. But they are at least claiming that it started on its own.

images

Back