VFR only and ownership

Some good points on the training being useful even not in imc... Ive always said now that Im back into it I want to take a lesson here or there anyway just to sharpen the skills and for the pure enjoyment of learning stuff, I will keep that in mind

If you want a plane and can afford it, buy it. Lots of people only fly VFR. Even some with an instrument rating. One guy I was talking to a while back about a partnership had an IR and lots of hours, including military flying. He just didn't fly IFR enough to feel comfortable doing it, so stopped being current years ago and just flies VFR now.

I fly IFR almost all the time. Some of that is weather, some Angel Flight, some I like to be talking with ATC early for airspace; MOA, Restricted and just busy airspace. Flying IFR lets me stay on my planned schedule far better than VFR.

Different strokes for different folks.

Yes; it makes sense. I got my private ticket 55 years ago, but never bothered getting an instrument rating. Flying only VFR hasn't really been much of a handicap; if I was on a long cross-country (like California to Florida and back several times), I just budgeted time for weather delays en route.

I've owned three airplanes, and the last two have been IFR certified. Having the airplane IFR capable is nice if I'm flying with a friend who is instrument rated and current.

One reason I've never pursued an instrument rating is that you really have to use it to stay proficient and current, and in my experience over the years there were very few times when I wished I had the rating.

So very true Stan, use it or loose it. If you’re not staying current it’s just not worth it and could be dangerous in real IMC.

No IFR for me since selling my twin. The next plane I bought (DA20 C1) was equipped, but not certified. It let me practice and gave me something to do (shoot an approach) rather than burn a hole in the Sky, when I had nowhere to go.

With my LSA, like you, I plan ahead and being retired, if I get stuck...so be it. I’ll wait it out.

I plan on getting an IFR equipped plane after I solo in a rented plane, and finish my PPL in it. The type I'm looking at is relatively slow, so having an IFR will help when the weather changes before I make it to the next stop. I also like Wayne's attitude.

If you are not flying for business and not flying XC, do you really want to own an airplane?

Does it make sense to own an airplane if you are VFR only? For someone who has no intention of flying IMC and does not have to fly anywhere if weather is not adequate is it necessary to get instrument rating in order to justify ownership of an airplane. I do understand the benefits of the training etc. and it is always encouraged but for this discussion lets keep it to the ownership aspect. Appreciate the input.

that's a 100% personal decision IMO. I have a buddy that flies a LOT, and he's vfr only. I have a pretty set work schedule, so I can't afford to be clouded in on Sunday; it wouldn't work for me. I like the idea of having my own plane. It just depends on whether it's worth it to you or not.

Yes, will be flying various places including my summer home 110 miles away. No business don't have to be anywhere at a certain time. Flying to my summer place is the same time as driving by the time I get the plane preflight etc. but it is a hell of alot more fun than sitting on I-95 in traffic.

Also my summer place is on the Chesapeake Bay which is great place to fly, Cape May is a good example. I would be at Claremont 58M which is walking distance to my place.

Got instrument rated only to find that half the year the clouds are in air temps below freezing, and the other half there's always a thunderstorm hiding somewhere. Maybe someday I'll get a FIKI airplane with onboard radar, until then its VFR!

Got instrument rated only to find that half the year the clouds are in air temps below freezing, and the other half there's always a thunderstorm hiding somewhere. Maybe someday I'll get a FIKI airplane with onboard radar, until then its VFR!
Good point, the good weather pilot I am would choose not to go regardless of rating.

Ditto with others. I'm IR but have a single NAV/COM Cherokee with LOC only capability. But since I have a plane, I'm adding a commercial rating just because. And maybe I can eventually get paid to fly

Back