There's cold, and then there's EFFING cold!

Yup at 12 last monday the mighty 140 pulled 1100fpm, i shudda got a pic, lol. But she is hanger bound this week! Im not even going to go get her to run her over to maintenance hanger for an oil change! Not going flying anyway, it can wait!

I remember the winter of 68-69, or, as it is called in eastern Washington, "the winter that was". Got down to -60 F at our house one night. Didn't get above 0 for a full week. One day my brother an I went skiing at a small hill outside Troy, Idaho when the HIGH in Troy was -21. I'll NEVER do anything that stupid again in my life.

All POA kidding aside, life's not all beer and skittles when you are trying to fund the payroll. Keep those chickens warm!

The chickens are relatively easy. It is the generators, trucks, pumps, feed augers, well heads, and most importantly, team member vehicles that are the challenges.

I grew up in Chicago in the 60’s and 70’s, can remember days so cold it hurt to breathe in, hurt in the lungs actually.

But man, believe in it or not, wind chill is a real thing, and it’s important. Chicago has a lot of windy days. It makes a huge difference on the temperature you actually are exposed to. Wind blows the protective thermal layer of your skin away. I have a healthy respect for wind chill factor.

I'm not saying wind chill isn't a real thing. I know wind makes cold seem colder. My point is that we like to make things seem more extreme than they really are, and to me that's what wind chill does. i.e. We all know that zero is cold, and it's going to feel colder if it's windy.

And don't get me started on Chicago. My employer likes me so much they always pick the middle of winter to send me to conferences and training up there. We get cold here where I live but not like Chicago. With the wind off Lake Michigan, it's bone-chilling cold up there. Any minute now I'm expecting my phone to ring with orders to get there ASAP.

I grew up in Chicago in the 60’s and 70’s, can remember days so cold it hurt to breathe in, hurt in the lungs actually.

But man, believe in it or not, wind chill is a real thing, and it’s important. Chicago has a lot of windy days. It makes a huge difference on the temperature you actually are exposed to. Wind blows the protective thermal layer of your skin away. I have a healthy respect for wind chill factor.
I’d offer that if you’re properly dressed for an actual temperature of 20 below, wind chill is a minor player. If you’re dressed for 20 above when it’s 20 below, wind chill is a major player.

That combination of low temps and wind that hits so hard you feel the heat getting sucked right out if your body...I don’t like that.

That’s what’s in the KC forecast for tomorrow. The paper said we might set our Jan 30 record for lowest low and lowest high.

low here in the single digits tomorrow but the cold snap is short-lived. It's supposed to be in the 50s by Saturday and in the 60s Sunday and Monday. I can live with a day or two...

Weatherman said it will swing about 100 degrees in the next few days. His logic was tomorrow wind chill will be -50, and Sunday it will be in the high 40's.

I'm not saying wind chill isn't a real thing. I know wind makes cold seem colder. My point is that we like to make things seem more extreme than they really are, and to me that's what wind chill does. i.e. We all know that zero is cold, and it's going to feel colder if it's windy.

And don't get me started on Chicago. My employer likes me so much they always pick the middle of winter to send me to conferences and training up there. We get cold here where I live but not like Chicago. With the wind off Lake Michigan, it's bone-chilling cold up there. Any minute now I'm expecting my phone to ring with orders to get there ASAP.

But it also is going to chill a person differently than if no wind. That is the key here. It isn’t how it “feels” it is what it DOES to your core temperature.
In a situation, the difference has consequences, and the same temperature can be the difference of survival, depending on the wind. Temperature drop on a person happens much more quickly in wind.

The fallacy here is, temperature is a convention for measurement which is objective, but wind chill isn’t subjective, it’s what happens to a human being in that environment. How quickly and how low their core will drop.

At least that is what I learned.

I’d offer that if you’re properly dressed for an actual temperature of 20 below, wind chill is a minor player. If you’re dressed for 20 above when it’s 20 below, wind chill is a major player.

Time to frostbite on exposed skin is one reason it matters. For 20 below and no wind, I'll probably still have exposed skin on my face... But not when the wind chill is -60.

low here in the single digits tomorrow but the cold snap is short-lived. It's supposed to be in the 50s by Saturday and in the 60s Sunday and Monday. I can live with a day or two...

Yeah, the swing is going to be pretty big. Current forecast is -13 on Wednesday and 36 on Saturday.

We call that snot freezing cold here in New Hampshire

An unfortunately accurate description!

I recall certain airliners not being able to fly because there were no performance charts for a given temperature/barometric pressure.

My first trip into Baghdad the flight engineer said his whiz wheel could not predict the length of runway needed because it didn't have the ambient temperature on it. The pilot responded that it was OK because we weren't landing on the runway it had holes in it. I think he reversed the outer props just before we touched down on the taxiway.

After effing cold comes scary cold. That is when it is so cold you don't care what you look like after dressing to stay warm....

We call that snot freezing cold here in New Hampshire

Yeah, in 2008-2009 I did a project...over the friggin' winter...in Appleton, WI (that's where I rescued Buddy). I knew it was going to be a long day if I walked out of my apartment at 0600 and my nostrils froze shut when I took my first outside breath. That typically happened at -18*F (or so) and below. And it happened quite a few times that winter. And as someone else said, when it got up in the upper 20s or higher I'd be working outside in my shirt sleeves . But that's a 45*F+ swing. It's amazing what the body gets used to.

My PR was -30 one chilly morning at Killington, VT. We'd ski one run, sit in the lodge for 30min, ski another, repeat. Cars don't like starting at -30, and when they do, it sounds like a bag of hammers under the hood lol.

so with -26 temp the DA is -5300. does that mean I can climb 5300 above my absolute ceiling? :D

Not if you're comparing Celsius to Fahrenheit, lol. The coldest I've been was AB, Canada with -20 temps, wind chill to -35. It's always fun when the moisture in your breath freezes to your beard/mustache and melts when you walk back inside after 20-30 minutes outside, leaving you with a wet chest. Good times.

I lived in Alberta for 20 years. One winter I drove to work in -36°C with the wind chill at -51°C. -40°C on a still night was not uncommon at all. And -40°C is the same as -40°F. -51°C is -60°F. The moisture in your nose freezes to your nose hairs and turns them into sharp little needles. You don't go pinching your nose. And it's not just your breath moisture that freezes to your beard. Nope. 'Snot.

-47 actual when I lived in the UP. Schools did not close. Now it seems the schools close every time it rains. Supposed to be -10 actual here tomorrow. Suppose I'll have to put on my spring jacket.

I lived in Alberta for 20 years. One winter I drove to work in -36°C with the wind chill at -51°C. -40°C on a still night was not uncommon at all. And -40°C is the same as -40°F. -51°C is -60°F. The moisture in your nose freezes to your nose hairs and turns them into sharp little needles. You don't go pinching your nose. And it's not just your breath moisture that freezes to your beard. Nope. 'Snot.

Yup. It's not worth mincing words over the difference between °F/°C when you're in that -30 to -50 range as the few degrees difference don't matter to most people, lol.

The last I checked this afternoon, the wind chill (-55 F) at KFAR (Fargo, ND) was the same as the temperature at FL450. I think I’ll be keeping the plane in the hangar for the next couple days...not even worth going out there to update the GPS at this point!

50771305_10103221583109060_459488533472608256_n.jpg

Not too bad when you're properly dressed for it.

Calling for record cold here Wednesday. Wind chill around -50. After like -30 do you even notice the difference?

No, not really. Wind vs no wind, however, absolutely.

I've never been a big fan of the heat index or wind chill factors. If it's 100 degrees outside it's hot. You don't have to exaggerate it and say with the sun shining on you it feels like it's 110. I kinda feel the same about wind chill. It's going to be friggin cold here tomorrow at zero degrees. I don't think the weather girl needs to exaggerate it by telling me that the wind will be blowing so it's going to feel colder. I guess it would be different if I was planning on working outside all day. I'm not. Because it's going to be cold.

It's not exaggeration, it's reality :)

Time to frostbite on exposed skin is one reason it matters. For 20 below and no wind, I'll probably still have exposed skin on my face... But not when the wind chill is -60.
!
I'm the same. Working right now and just stepped out in -21, but no wind. Wasn't bad at all.

I’m a California boy so I don’t know squat about cold weather, but it seems to me that one should listen to the dude from Norway!

He's from the moderately warm part of Norway ;) It's only -3 where he lives.

I was once on a work trip to Eau Claire, WI in Feb.

The high temp for the week was -25. I swore to myself to never again complain about cold. When I got home I shoveled the driveway, then sat on the front steps and had a beer, it was +20.

As of this time stamp, it's 74° at Cozumel.... who's up for a trip to the beach?
I'm in!

You read my mind. Already have Cozumel tickets, hotel and dive shop booked. I'll be there in 28 days...28 days too late :(

Its -23F here right now and falling, not counting wind chill. Yuck.

Or... dress for -20 no wind, -20 with 20 knots...stay inside?

-47 actual when I lived in the UP. Schools did not close. Now it seems the schools close every time it rains. Supposed to be -10 actual here tomorrow. Suppose I'll have to put on my spring jacket.

I went to a catholic school in Chicago, my best buddy next door to public. On high snow, very cold days they broadcast closed schools in the morning. I always rooted for Holy Cross school...never happened. Public schools were all listed but I think the catholic school lost money if snow day, so...never happened.

Not too bad when you're properly dressed for it.

No, not really. Wind vs no wind, however, absolutely.

It's not exaggeration, it's reality :)

I'm the same. Working right now and just stepped out in -21, but no wind. Wasn't bad at all.

He's from the moderately warm part of Norway ;) It's only -3 where he lives.

But again...I grew up in Chicago, in the 60’s, and it was a coooold couple of decades. And wind was almost always a factor.

But true about where I live now (Oslo). Last few days its been down to -15C but that is considerably warmer than you guys. The gulf stream keeps things from getting too bad here in the southeastern part of Norway. At least so far. It's been mentioned that melting of glaciers could change the salt content in the water, which could theoretically slow or even stop the Gulf Stream which would mean MUCH colder here.

I moved here because I was fooled by the long summer days :)

Last edited:
How cold is it?

It is so cold, the politicians are keeping their hands in their own pockets.

It is so cold, Texas is building a wall on their northern border.

It is so cold, I just sneezed snotflakes.

It is so cold, the villagers have gathered outside Elsa’s castle with torches and pitchforks.

It is so cold, Hugh Grant was caught spooning with his own wife.

Last edited:
-5 here right now.

I shut the water off last night and drained the lines. Turned it back on this morning, no problems. I posted on nextdoor.com a couple of days ago advising others they might want to do that. Dozens of them are complaining of frozen lines this morning. It's only a 24 hour cold snap here. Be back in the 40s tomorrow.

How cold is it?

It is so cold, the politicians are keeping their hands in their own pockets.

It is so cold, Texas is building a wall on their northern border.

It is so cold, I just sneezed snowflakes.

It is so cold, the villagers have gathered outside Elsa’s castle with torches and pitchforks.

It is so cold, Hugh Grant was caught spooning with his own wife.

That is some weird, wild, wacky stuff.
*golf swing*

-5 here right now.

I shut the water off last night and drained the lines. Turned it back on this morning, no problems. I posted on nextdoor.com a couple of days ago advising others they might want to do that. Dozens of them are complaining of frozen lines this morning. It's only a 24 hour cold snap here. Be back in the 40s tomorrow.

Do you live in a house with no insulation in the walls? I have never turned the water off.

My side of the state it is -8F right now (8am)...we are reaching a "high" of -2F later...woo hoo.

We're only minus 3. While Lake Michigan can punish us with that lake effect snow, while it's not frozen completely over, it does temper the cold a little bit.

It's like the movie Zombieland out there right now. My office is on one of the busier roads in the state, and there's no cars on it. I saw 2 cars on my drive in to work.

Back