757 De-ice

Well, another company crew showed them 'how it's done ' and we got out despite the wind and blowing snow.

Hmmm. Let me guess - Carry enough fuel for two trips to the deice pad so that you don't have to go back for fuel?

Type IV is anti-ice fluid, but the rest of your post is correct.

I've anti-iced many many Saabs and a couple ATRs. They most certainly get Type IV.

Perhaps I stand corrected. When we had Saab service we didn't have Type IV, I'm told for the reason I gave. When we upgraded to CRJ a new deicer was delivered with dual systems.

Type IV is anti-ice fluid, but the rest of your post is correct.

I've anti-iced many many Saabs and a couple ATRs. They most certainly get Type IV.

Oops. You’re correct. In the habit of just generally referring to everything as deice. Deice truck, need to be deiced, yada, yada, yada.

Perhaps I stand corrected. When we had Saab service we didn't have Type IV, I'm told for the reason I gave. When we upgraded to CRJ a new deicer was delivered with dual systems.
The old deer stand? :) I know a lot of Saab stations didn't have Type IV, but I think it was more along the line of cost vs benefit, as in weather bad enough for Type IV, chances are the Saab would cancel anyways.

Oops. You’re correct. In the habit of just generally referring to everything as deice. Deice truck, need to be deiced, yada, yada, yada.

No worries. A lot of people don't think of it since GA rarely gets deiced, much less anti-iced.

Greg,
Yep. I would have never bid away from them except the schedules had gotten so bad.

Last edited:
The old deer stand? :) I know a lot of Saab stations didn't have Type IV, but I think it was more along the line of cost vs benefit, as in weather bad enough for Type IV, chances are the Saab would cancel anyways.

No worries. A lot of people don't think of it since GA rarely gets deiced, much less anti-iced.

True. If the 182 needs deiced I just don’t bother flying. At work however, I still refer to everything by generically calling it deice.

Great info everyone, thanks! Unfortunately, after a few days where they’ve probably never even heard of de-ice, I’m back in the cold now. Sounds like the initial delay waiting for “it” to warm up a couple degrees was most likely the fluid itself and not the air temperature.

Back