Alton bay ice runway

Matthew Rogers

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Matt R
Anyone have an interest in flying up to the Alton Bay Ice Runway (B18) later on this winter? I have a 150f locates at KMGJ and would like to get some fun new flying done this year. The 150 is a great plane for the winter as I can finally load it up to gross weight and still have performance. Not the same in summer for sure.

So let me know if you are planning on making the trip sometime, or are looking to join.

Anyone have an interest in flying up to the Alton Bay Ice Runway (B18) later on this winter? I have a 150f locates at KMGJ and would like to get some fun new flying done this year. The 150 is a great plane for the winter as I can finally load it up to gross weight and still have performance. Not the same in summer for sure.

So let me know if you are planning on making the trip sometime, or are looking to join.
So how does that work? Landing on ice?

Sometimes it’s a little difficult...

So how does that work? Landing on ice?

Kritchlow is the only one capable of answering aviation-related questions but hopefully someone else will chime in with some sub-standard, mostly incorrect reply.

Wait, I’ll start.....from videos I’ve seen it doesn’t look a whole lot different. Don’t take that to the bank, I’m sure it’s more involved than that but I’d def give it a try.

No different than landing on a hard snowpacked or icy runway. But based on the first landing by the Yankee in the video. Keeping it on centerline helps.

This one is on my bucket list... this year is a definite maybe. Then again, last year was too but I didn't make it. Depends on a lot of things, including whether I have time to fly at all during the window when it's open.

I watched Matt Guthmiller's video where he landed his Bonanza on that runway. Definitely winter wonderland kind of stuff.

Its pretty easy. Stay off the brakes until you're slow and you'll be fine. I haven't tried the place in a crosswind, and probably won't. With the way this winter is going, might be a while before we have enough ice on the lake. They want at least a foot to get the plows out there. If you go, give the runway guys a tip. They volunteer and foot the bill for the truck's fuel bill.

If you go, remember it is a short field landing, not a soft field landing. Minimum controllable airspeed on touchdown. The thick ice is strong, and you can land firmly. Did I say firmly? I hope none of you saw my landing at Alton Bay a few years ago.... And yes, stay off the brakes, Yoke back to your gut for max aerodynamic braking.

I live 40 miles from Alton Bay, and will hopefully soon have an airplane I am "allowed" to land there. If not this winter, next for sure.

It's funny, I have a house on the other side of that lake, about 25 miles away from that runway as the crow flies, and I really have no desire to land there. Been there a few times on a snowmobile, more of an adventure than flying there I think. But the lake hasn't frozen well enough for that or not enough snow over the last few years. Going to be relatively warm here until next week, I hope that polar vortex kicks in soon so the whole lake freezes.

Have been into Alton bay on several occasions,have to be careful if there is a strong crosswind. Watch out for the snow rows.

I went last year. Plenty of ice, but only for a short period of time. Its fun to fly low over the lake, waggling the wings to the people out on the ice.
i-JN9GFj7-L.jpg

i-8hsDNFX-L.jpg

I did it the year before last, in a 172, on the day the town held its winter carnival. Parking was at a premium - I got the last spot. Temperatures were in the high 30s to low 40s, making for some slush that caught a Vans (if I recall correctly) and flipped it over on takeoff (no one hurt). A pickup truck also went through the ice nearby. But as for the landing - actually a bit anticlimactic. Feet off the brakes, for sure, and pull that yoke/stick back for maximum aerodynamic braking. Surprisingly easy. Taxiing is actually trickier, not least because you would have been emboldened if not giddy after a good landing. Good food in town! Don't forget to claim your certificate and Alton Bay baseball cap at the jewelry shop. And ... pro tip: bring an extra pair of socks. You'll be happy you did if your put your foot down in a puddle of slush. I know I was. Enjoy!

If you go, remember it is a short field landing, not a soft field landing. Minimum controllable airspeed on touchdown. The thick ice is strong, and you can land firmly. Did I say firmly? I hope none of you saw my landing at Alton Bay a few years ago.... And yes, stay off the brakes, Yoke back to your gut for max aerodynamic braking.

Other way around?

Soft field not a short field (where you use brakes)?

Last edited:
Other way around?

Soft field not a short field (where you use brakes)?

Not for me! My soft field landings are generally at a higher airspeed than MCA. Short Field at MCA and max use of aerodynamic braking. OK, so my soft field landings suck... :yikes:

-Skip

Not for me! My soft field landings are generally at a higher airspeed than MCA. Short Field at MCA and max use of aerodynamic braking. OK, so my soft field landings suck... :yikes:

-Skip

Your approach speed should be the same

Soft field little to no brakes, effort on keeping (for a trike) weight off the nose wheel

Short field, max brakes

Just got word that the ice is thick enough at Alton Bay, NH (B18) but will not open the runway until next week after the storm coming through on Sunday. A recorded message is on 603 875 3498 for runway conditions. This year in 2019 the Ice Festival will be the 16th & 17th of Feb.

Shibley’s at the pier restaurant:Hrs. Friday 11 am -9 pm. Saturday 11am 9 pm Sunday 11am -9 pm closed Monday-Thursday. Say Hi to Dave and Amy.
Facet Jewelers: Hrs. Wednesday 10-4pm Thursday 10-4pm Friday 10-4pm Saturday 10-4pm. Pick up your free certificate for landing on the ice Runway and sign our guest book . Say Hi to Donna Marie Tell her Paul sent you..
Old Bay Diner: Hrs. Friday 7-1:30 pm Saturday 7-1:30 pm. Sunday 7-1 pm Monday 7-1:30 pm and Tuesday 7-1:30 pm closed Wednesday And Thursday. Say hi to Donna and Mike.
Alton Bay Corner Store: open Daily 6am- 9pm
JP China Restaurant: Hrs.Monday 11:30am -9 pm Tuesday 11:30am-9pm Wednesday 11:30am- 9pm Thursday 11:30 am-10 pm Friday 11:30- 12am. Saturday 11:30 am-12am and Sunday 12 pm - 9pm Say Hi to Mary
All in walking Distance from the ice Runway.

Going to have to wait until we retire up there and then I'll be a regular!

Anyone heading up today? Might head up for lunch.

hmmm maybe not. Looks closed.

Little water on top. That will freeze and make even smoother!! Perhaps next weekend. Weather wise. Today was the day though!!!

Yeah, got out for some low passes over the lake. Very temping to land on the ice in the middle of the lake. Looked very smooth, but lotsa big cracks, probably some pressure ridges, and I have no idea how thick the ice is in the middle.

Yeah, got out for some low passes over the lake. Very temping to land on the ice in the middle of the lake. Looked very smooth, but lotsa big cracks, probably some pressure ridges, and I have no idea how thick the ice is in the middle.

When I see pickup trucks on the ice then I will venture onto it, that's with a snow mobile. Winnipesaukee just declared "ice in" last week, so while places like Alton bay and Center Harbor may have lots of ice, it doesn't mean the middle or other areas of the ice are safe. Every year at least one person pays the ultimate price by not understanding that fact.

It's also interesting that many places that rent airplanes prohibit landing on the ice. Be careful up there.

May have missed the window to head up there. Warm and raining this week. Next week doesn't look much colder.

When I see pickup trucks on the ice then I will venture onto it, that's with a snow mobile. Winnipesaukee just declared "ice in" last week, so while places like Alton bay and Center Harbor may have lots of ice, it doesn't mean the middle or other areas of the ice are safe. Every year at least one person pays the ultimate price by not understanding that fact.

It's also interesting that many places that rent airplanes prohibit landing on the ice. Be careful up there.

Drill and a calculator.

97DB13B9-AD67-4E0B-8FFC-108D3D425072.jpeg

Drill and a calculator.

View attachment 71581

I do that in December if I want to walk on the ice, I let others explore for bigger stuff. Winnipesaukee is a big lake and some areas never really freeze. The airport should be fine, but be careful around the docks and avoid areas where others haven't gone, there is usually a good reason.

I flew in there on the 17th. What a blast! Not too many photos since I was flying solo.
Not recommended if there are winds above about 5 kts :)

BTW they are quite conservative. They only open when they drill through the ice several places along the runway and see 12 inches. That's required for the snowplow... less would do for planes. They also plow a parallel taxiway and a parking area which can accommodate about 30 planes. If they get more than 10 kts crosswind they close, or if there are other issues (snow on the runway, wet spots, etc). It is a bit short (2200' or so) and braking action not so good, so be sure to nail your approach speed and get 'er down near the threshold. Going around is routine there.

ice01.jpg

ice02.jpg

ice03.jpg

ice04.jpg

ice05.jpg

I've wanted to do this since March 2017. I found out about it too late in the season to make it that year. I completely forgot about it in 2018 until again it was closed for the season and this year I was busy finishing up my commercial... Hopefully 2020. Looks like a blast.

Got really nice conditions late season this year - I think that it was a record year for days open. Always fun.

Attachments

• IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Back