New Guy

Bobrob

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Bobrob
New guy here getting back into aviation after a 15 year hiatus. I started getting the itch again last fall, so I did an hour dual with a CFI in an old 172 and had a blast. I was surprised how quickly the rust blew of my basic skills which left me wanting more. My only real limitation is I'll be restricted to LSA for now. Since there aren't rentals of that type availabe in my area, I'm looking at buying an Ercoupe or similar. I always they were cool little airplanes so why not?

Anyway, looks like a great forum!

Welcome to PoA!

If willing, share your location so other locals can make an in person connection with you.

Welcome! I'm also getting back into flying, after almost the same time gap as you! I've already learned a ton from this website. It's awesome.

I think they are cool planes, id love to fly one someday... at end of day if it leaves the ground you are in the fraternity... sure we rib each other over each others equipment in all directions but mostly for fun of it... welcome back! I just got back after 4 years off, i bought a cessna 140 which may be light sport possibly on the horizon, heck a lot of planes will be if a rule change happens... feels good to be in the air where i belong again, you will feel same way im sure...

Very cool airplanes, those Ercoupes!

Welcome.

Nice to see a number of folks getting back into recreational flying after years off. I had to do the on-again, off-again thing in the past. Marriage, mortgages, job moves, all the usual demands on cash that take priority over indulging in flying. Really great to see more folks deciding its time to get back into it.

My only real limitation is I'll be restricted to LSA for now.

I'm guessing because of a medical issue? Due to your time away, I'd also guess you aren't eligible for BasicMed?

I'm guessing because of a medical issue? Due to your time away, I'd also guess you aren't eligible for BasicMed?

Correct. The medical issue was a one off occurance but the AME I informally consulted with indicated it wouldn't matter to the FAA and if I attempted to get a class III, I'd be DQ'd which would mean ineligible for even LSA. I have a PPL (ASEL) with an instrument rating and about 600 TT. I was hoping to regain currency, get my Commercial and CFI and give instruction when I retire in a few years but, looks like that's not gonna happen.

Thankk for the warm welcome everyone! I've always loved the look of the Ercoupe, and figure what the hell, time to be a kid again! My profile pic was taken in 1979 in a Grumman AA1A or B when I was taking lessons at KPYM. If those fit the LSA envelope, I'd probably be looking at one of those too!

Last edited:
Welcome aboard! I haven't had the pleasure of going up in a Ercoupe, but they look like cool little planes and plenty of people are having a blast with them. There are some gotchas to be careful about; not all Ercoupes are LSAs. Before you buy, get connected with the owner's group and be sure you know what you're getting. Check out https://www.ercoupe.org/ .

Not sure what your budget is, but you might find a decent buy on an Experimental LSA (kit built) if you want something more modern and with better performance than the Ercoupe for not too much more money.

Also, don't throw in the medical towel too quickly. Two very senior AMEs, @bbchien and @lbfjrmd frequent the medical subforum and have worked miracles when it comes to getting airmen certified (me included). It might be worth contacting one or both to get another opinion.

Correct. The medical issue was a one off occurance but the AME I informally consulted with indicated it wouldn't matter to the FAA and if I attempted to get a class III, I'd be DQ'd which would mean ineligible for even LSA. I have a PPL (ASEL) with an instrument rating and about 600 TT. I was hoping to regain currency, get my Commercial and CFI and give instruction when I retire in a few years but, looks like that's not gonna happen.
If you desire a 2nd opinion on the medical from someone who is very well known for handling difficult cases to a successful end, contact Dr. Bruce Chien. You can make contact here, http://www.aeromedicaldoc.com/how-to-start.html

New guy here getting back into aviation after a 15 year hiatus. I started getting the itch again last fall, so I did an hour dual with a CFI in an old 172 and had a blast. I was surprised how quickly the rust blew of my basic skills which left me wanting more. My only real limitation is I'll be restricted to LSA for now. Since there aren't rentals of that type availabe in my area, I'm looking at buying an Ercoupe or similar. I always they were cool little airplanes so why not?

Anyway, looks like a great forum!
WELCOME TO POA!!!!

Back