Ercoupe in crosswind

Lawson Laslo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
N2005H
does anyone know the crosswind limitation for a ercoupe without pedals, and one with pedals
Would it be ok to have one without rudders in Oklahoma (windy all the time)
Also how much do you think it would cost to add pedals

I don’t recall what the limitation is, but it’s pretty high. In fact a stock ercoupe will handle a much stronger x-wind than one with rudder pedals.

Rudder pedals on an Ercoupe just make it easier for a regular pilot to taxi.

I will add though that rudder pedals make x-wind takeoffs a little easier, but not sure they are worth it, particularly if you have a wide runway.

Pretty sure the Ercoupe has a 25 knot crosswind component without pedals. With IIRC it is only 15.

pretty sure that the one i flew, you still steered it on the ground with the wheel. having rudder pedals installed does not prevent the ercoupe from being landed the way it was designed (in a crab).

Technically, like most other light airplanes, there is no "limitation" and I have not seen a published max demonstrate component. Reports and various instruction manuals indicate capability of handling 25-kt and greater crosswinds. The biggest key to landing in any crosswind without rudder pedals is that you have no control authority on the ground until the nosewheel is on the ground.

Stuff happens. Wx doesn’t behave as forecast.

Always comforting to know the airplane can handle it.

True. The winds can be quite fickle around here.

I think @alfadog posted a yootoob video of touch-n-goes in a Luscombe in 20+knot gusting crosswinds. Good to know the plane can handle the demands. My max to date is a 10-knot direct crosswind.

If the Ercoupe is set up right (not tail low), 25k crosswind is no problem. I've had 2 and they are great fun airplane.

Do you see any problems with them being 70 years old?
How long do you think they’ll last

They could last forever except for corrosion and deferred maintenance. I wouldn't hesitate to buy and fly one after a thorough pre buy inspection.

Technically, like most other light airplanes, there is no "limitation" and I have not seen a published max demonstrate component. Reports and various instruction manuals indicate capability of handling 25-kt and greater crosswinds. The biggest key to landing in any crosswind without rudder pedals is that you have no control authority on the ground until the nosewheel is on the ground.

Not necessarily no control until nosewheel is on the ground. The Coupe will "weathervane" into the wind. Keep it going down the center of the runway. When the mains touch it will straighten out.

I currently have 20 hours of training
Do you think it’s would bad to finish my training in a ercoupe since it doesn’t have rudder pedals

I bought an Ercoupe while I was a student pilot. Flew the heck out of it and saved a lot of money learning to fly. I did parallel training in a C-150. Never had a problem adapting either way.

Not necessarily no control until nosewheel is on the ground. The Coupe will "weathervane" into the wind. Keep it going down the center of the runway. When the mains touch it will straighten out.
I disagree. Yes,when you touch down with the mains, it will straighten out. That's the whole idea. But it's only temporary. As you roll out, until the nosewheel is down, there is nothing keeping the crosswind from continuing to blow you across the runway. You will continue to be longitudinally aligned all the way into the grass.

My experience was that with the limited up elevator travel it was pretty hard to hold the nose in the air for any significant time after the mains touched. And it straightened out immediately and you steer with the wheel. Just like the manual says

I disagree. Yes,when you touch down with the mains, it will straighten out. That's the whole idea. But it's only temporary. As you roll out, until the nosewheel is down, there is nothing keeping the crosswind from continuing to blow you across the runway. You will continue to be longitudinally aligned all the way into the grass.

I agree and disagree. After the mains touch, the nosewheel WILL come down, right away. There is not enough elevator to prevent it from doing so.

So you steer for taxi with the ailerons?

You steer with the yoke, just like a car. The fact that the ailerons move is secondary, the yoke also turns the nose wheel. This was changed on much later models, including the Mooney Cadet to rudder pedals only steering the nose wheel.

So you steer for taxi with the ailerons?

You steer with nose wheel steering via the yoke, but everything (okay elevator is not) is interconnected (unless you have one with rudder pedals). So you steer on the ground with the yoke and the ailerons and rudder move as well.

The more you guys talk about these things, the more I want to fly one. I've always liked 'em. Would have bought one a couple years back, had I not wanted to actually travel. And carry a passenger... I'm not 1940s-sized.

I agree and disagree. After the mains touch, the nosewheel WILL come down, right away. There is not enough elevator to prevent it from doing so.
That's true. It comes down pretty quickly but I've seen folks hold it off just long enough to travel if the crosswind is good enough. I did a quickie lesson for an aircraft broker a few months ago who was delivering one but never flew one. Fortunately we had enough of a crosswind for him to get a good feel. I ended up telling him, "don't be too proud to touch down on the windward side of the centerline" :D

I've found that crosswind landings are easier than cross wind take offs in a no rudder pedals Ercoupe.

Barrel rolls are especially easy in an Ercoupe.

There’s a lot of misunderstanding with Ercoupes. Its a great plane. Very capable and easy to fly. Inexpensive to buy and operate.
I only had about ten hours in one when I landed it with a 25 knot direct crosswind. I knew the theory so went for it. I have no pedals so I held a pretty good crab all the way down. Landed crabbed. It straightened right up. The nose is down a second later and I had complete control. The plane cannot lift a wing AT ANY SPEED once the nose is down due to the negative angle of attack while on the ground. Brilliant engineering. Of course this requires that the plane’s “stance” be correct. Meaning that the tail is at the proper height of about 75 inches above the ground. Weak main gear oleos and larger than stock nose tires and strut can lower the tail causing the wing to lose its negative angle of attack. Then all bets are off.

Back