Lunch spot 50mn from KSQL

benyflyguy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
benyflyguy
my brother is taking two family members for a trip and I suggested he look for a lunch spot but make if a XC if possible. Me being an east coaster I have little to say other then , lemme ask a few friends...
The airspace there can be nasty by the looks of things. Not what I’m used to here.

50 Minnesotas is a pretty big range. You could go to pretty much anywhere in the CONUS.

Salinas? or Monterrey? Never flew in to either, but worked in Monterrey for a few weeks. I just remember great restaurants.

Salinas? or Monterrey? Never flew in to either, but worked in Monterrey for a few weeks. I just remember great restaurants.
Good idea. Plus that takes him away from the San Francisco bravo and into friendlier class C airspace.

50 Minnesotas is a pretty big range. You could go to pretty much anywhere in the CONUS.
I read your post and was like “what the f...”. Got back to it a bit later and still...then had a loud laugh.

KMCE has the Hangar BBQ, check hours. Nothing much at the field at MRY as I recall. If he already flies out of SQL then there's nothing interesting at all about the airspace unless you want to head straight North. East bound into the valley you can do without talking to anyone or entering the Bravo,not that it's a clearance you're likely to get due to it being the SFO approach corridor, it's basically direct SUNOL direct wherever. The OAK Class C almost always allows transitions if you're headed towards the Sacramento Area, unless it's changed expect the stadium and mid-span of the San Mateo bridge as reporting points.

Last edited:
Watsonville (KWVI) "Ella's at the Airport"

Santa Rosa (KSTS) "Sellini Grille"

Napa (KAPC) "TheRunway by Patrick"

Petaluma (O69) - Two Niner Diner

I don't remember Monterey having a restaurant on the field, but it's a pretty nice destination if you go into town.

-Half Moon Bay KHAF if weather permits, park in the far South Transient lot and you can walk to all the restaurant in the Harbor area, bet $100 hamburger run in the area IMO

-Santa Rosa KSTS Restaurant in the main terminal if one of my favorite fly to paces for a good meal, always leave happy. Bravo transitions up the peninsula are easy peasy. then you get to overly and sightsee Sand Francisco and the Golden Gate.

-Watsonville KWVI we have Ella's right on the field...decent place but never overly impressed unfortunately, but better than most airport cafes. There is new joint opening soon across the street and walkable from transient parking...hope to have a PIREP soon.

I don't remember Monterey having a restaurant on the field, but it's a pretty nice destination if you go into town.

The Golden Tee restaurant has been at MRY over 50 years...second floor of terminal building, or you could look at the airport directory... :)

Paul

Monterrey would probably be too far. Plus he would have to file eAPIS and go through Customs.

Most of the suggestions here, unfortunately, are not the desired cross country, including O69 (48nm!).

KMRY is, though. There is a restaurant on the field. You'll need to park at one of the FBOs (I always park Del Monte) and walk to the main terminal. A bit of a walk, but not terrible. Standard American Chinese restaurant. Good, but weird for Monterey, as there's nothing really about it that speaks to the area. What I would do instead, if you have time, is park Del Monte, fill up with at least 15 overpriced gallons, then take one of the many nice crew cars into town for a couple hours for lunch. Lots of choices in Monterey, from the tourist traps to the great local spots.

KSTS is another one that qualifies. Good restaurant on the field...park at either FBO for lunch...if I remember, they don't charge for the short stays. Remember the door code! It's also a commercial airport, but unlike KMRY, you can use the ped gate.

Warning: just cause it's Charlie doesn't mean it's relaxed. The Bravo here is not so bad, especially now that they charted the transitions. KMRY Charlie is super easy. KSJC is fine as long as you stay west. East is a little harder to traverse. But KOAK...in my opinion, that airspace is actually the hardest to navigate in all the Bay.

I remember flying to Napa County to have a $100 hamburger at the Runway. They use the taxiway to land in order to stay close to the restaurant!

Most of the suggestions here, unfortunately, are not the desired cross country, including O69 (48nm!).

KMRY is, though. There is a restaurant on the field. You'll need to park at one of the FBOs (I always park Del Monte) and walk to the main terminal. A bit of a walk, but not terrible. Standard American Chinese restaurant. Good, but weird for Monterey, as there's nothing really about it that speaks to the area. What I would do instead, if you have time, is park Del Monte, fill up with at least 15 overpriced gallons, then take one of the many nice crew cars into town for a couple hours for lunch. Lots of choices in Monterey, from the tourist traps to the great local spots.
Interesting. I have been to Monterey a number of times over the years and no one ever told us about the terminal restaurant. We were either there overnight or took a crew car to town. My favorite place for lunch was also a fish market. We usually parked at Monterey Jet.

I remember flying to Napa County to have a $100 hamburger at the Runway. They use the taxiway to land in order to stay close to the restaurant!

Um, what? That's not a thing I've ever experienced at KAPC. But it must have been pretty recent, as the Runway hasn't been open long. Only a few years.

Interesting. I have been to Monterey a number of times over the years and no one ever told us about the terminal restaurant. We were either there overnight or took a crew car to town. My favorite place for lunch was also a fish market. We usually parked at Monterey Jet.

Haven't parked at the Jet Center. Used to be that the rates were better for small GA at Del Monte, though they recently Del Monte upped rates to match the Jet Center. Now I just park there since it's a shorter taxi and more familiar.

Um, what? That's not a thing I've ever experienced at KAPC. But it must have been pretty recent, as the Runway hasn't been open long. Only a few years.

Actually, it Jonesy's back then and all those hangars weren't there either... Of course, it was 40 years ago!

Actually, it Jonesy's back then and all those hangars weren't there either... Of course, it was 40 years ago!
Heh, that makes more sense. I remember that by the time I had my full ticket, the restaurant at KAPC had closed. Don't remember if it was Jonesy's that had recently closed, but the name rings a bell. Was happy to see The Runway go in. The Runway isn't Jonesy's...different formula...they're attempting to go more upscale. It appears to be working, though that's a surprise to me. Out where KAPC is in American Canyon, you're going to get zero foot traffic and near zero car traffic. So you're depending on GA arrivals? But why would they eat at a semi-nice place at the airport when they have all of freakin' Napa to pick from. The passengers on the bizjets...don't seem like likely customers. The crew...too pricey for them (per diem maybe?). Us little guys? Yeah, I've eaten there a time or two, but usually only when the crew car isn't available and I don't feel like springing for an Uber. Doesn't seem like enough traffic to keep the place open, but it seems to be doing well. More power to them!

KSTS is another one that qualifies. Good restaurant on the field...park at either FBO for lunch...if I remember, they don't charge for the short stays. Remember the door code! It's also a commercial airport, but unlike KMRY, you can use the ped gate.

Warning: just cause it's Charlie doesn't mean it's relaxed. The Bravo here is not so bad, especially now that they charted the transitions. KMRY Charlie is super easy. KSJC is fine as long as you stay west. East is a little harder to traverse. But KOAK...in my opinion, that airspace is actually the hardest to navigate in all the Bay.

The MRY restaurant isn't Chinese, it is nice sandwiches and the like. The food is pretty good and there is a bar for the non-pilots.

The MRY Class C is easy enough to deal with, I do think you call clearance and get a mini-IFR, sort of like SNA. Their tower aren't super accommodating, for whatever reason, and often expect you to climb over the mountain to the southeast. You can push for a right turn though.

Haven't parked at the Jet Center. Used to be that the rates were better for small GA at Del Monte, though they recently Del Monte upped rates to match the Jet Center. Now I just park there since it's a shorter taxi and more familiar.

I don't get the Del Monte hate. They are less than $5 a gallon and have never been anything but very kind and helpful to me. They also have free water and ice cream, which is a nice touch.

The MRY restaurant isn't Chinese, it is nice sandwiches and the like. The food is pretty good and there is a bar for the non-pilots.

The MRY Class C is easy enough to deal with, I do think you call clearance and get a mini-IFR, sort of like SNA. Their tower aren't super accommodating, for whatever reason, and often expect you to climb over the mountain to the southeast. You can push for a right turn though.

I don't get the Del Monte hate. They are less than $5 a gallon and have never been anything but very kind and helpful to me. They also have free water and ice cream, which is a nice touch.

Huh. You're right. I'm confusing it with another airport. Which airport am I thinking about around here that has an incongruous Chinese... Weird that my memory is flipping something around. Sorry about that.

Not hating on Del Monte. The way they are right now, they're really quite good. It's just that it used to be cheaper. That's all.

Back