Intellicast T/U?

dtuuri

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
dtuuri
I use Intellicast ALL THE TIME. It's great. Or was great. Today, I was redirected to Wunderground, a real POS. Anybody know the back story here? Is Intellicast coming back? Is Wunderground having temporary problems? What other WX service compares to Intellicast?

Internet weather has gone the way of internet "news" -- acres of clickbait surrounding a tiny image of a smiley-face sun or a frowny-face cloud.

Weather is now on a need-to-know basis, and we don't need to know. o_O

Windy.com is so much better than the old intellicast or Weather Underground. This includes the weather model they use. I've had great luck with their longer range ~5 day forecast being spot on.
Also has a pretty decent cloudbase forecast.

@dtuuri ... this topic is also being discussed on the Red Board....

For those interested in a good replacement (especially for mobile devices), I have found Dark Sky to be very good.

www.darksky.com

Storm was GREAT until the weather channel bought them out and turned it into a real POS.

WOW...intellicast was one of my go to places...that sucks.

Browser hyjacks all the time on WU.... I stopped going there.

I noticed this too and was very disappointed. I really liked Intellicast. I know nothing about Weather Underground, but I won't use a service that named themselves after a terrorist group.

Every time I find a weather site I like, : poof : , gone!

I’m trying NWS pinpoint forecast now.

I know nothing about Weather Underground, but I won't use a service that named themselves after a terrorist group.

Interesting point. I never made the connection. Not that it's not valid...it simply never dawned on me.

I guess the new Rebel Radar is off limits to me now too! ;)

Interesting point. I never made the connection. Not that it's not valid...it simply never dawned on me.

I guess the new Rebel Radar is off limits to me now too! ;)

It's valid. The service is based on the internet weather database of the University of Michigan, and the founder is a graduate of the U of M, which happens to be where the Weather Underground terrorist organization was founded. I find it hard to believe that the namesake was not deliberate, and I can't imagine adopting such a name unless you are at least somewhat sympathetic.

Now, the founder says that the name was supposed to be a tongue-in-cheek reference to the original when they named the weather project that back in the 90s, and it just stuck, "perhaps unwisely", when the project blew up into a successful service.

Sounds silly I guess, but I'm picky about who I do business with, and I don't do business with companies that make even vague references to terrorism, communism, or the like, if I can help it.

...the founder says that the name was supposed to be a tongue-in-cheek reference to the original when they named the weather project that back in the 90s, and it just stuck, "perhaps unwisely", when the project blew up into a successful service.
I think I see what you did there.

Last edited:
IBM owns The Weather Channel which owns Weather Underground, Intellicast, and a bunch of others. Like most things that IBM buys they're adding a considerable amount of suck and taking out most of the awesome from those products.

Last edited:
I'm a pretty big fan of darksky. Use their API for a weather page here at the house.

Did you know that intellicast still "works" if you use 96.8.93.198?
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I got the interactive wx map back, but the 10-day graph of the forecast has this notice: "Unable to Load Personal Weather Stations." Still, I'm very grateful you shared.

Did you know that intellicast still "works" if you use 96.8.93.198?
Thank you, thank you, thank you...still has current upper atmosphere charts (just under the header...national>analysis charts)
yes yes yes yes yes yes Back to the future

Back