Ercoupe for training

Lawson Laslo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
N2005H
I currently have 20 hours of training in the Cherokee
Do you think it’s would bad to finish my training in a ercoupe since it doesn’t have rudder pedals
Also how much longer do you think a 70 year older ercoupe will last
Thanks

Might be a bit of a transition for a lower time guy, but I’m sure you’d pick up on it just fine.

Never hurts to train in the airplane you intend to fly the most.

Hi.
The limiting factor may not be your ability but the acft's capability. Before you invest confirm that you have the proper / acceptable equipment and it is accepted by your DPE.
Do you think it’s would bad to finish my training in a ercoupe since it doesn’t have rudder pedals

The life limit depends on many factors, like how it was / is maintained, where it resided over the last 60 years, who has flown it...
If all above, and some I did not mention, had best care and use, it can last a while, if not it can cause more problems than it's worth.

I currently have 20 hours of training in the Cherokee
The issue with taking your flight test in an Ercoupe is that it does not have published stall speeds and cannot demonstrate stalls. FAA's "Considerations for The Practical Test" says:

5-85 AIRCRAFT AND EQUIPMENT USED DURING PRACTICAL TESTS. Section 61.45 states that an applicant for an Airman Certificate or added rating must furnish an Airworthy aircraft appropriate for the certificate or rating sought. [...]

A. Aircraft Incapable of Performing Certain Tasks on a Practical Test. Per § 61.45(b)(2), it is permissible to use a Cessna 336 or 337 for an AMEL rating. The Cessna 336 and 337 series airplanes do not have a published minimum controllable airspeed with the critical engine inoperative (VMC) and thus cannot perform the VMC demonstration task. The Ercoupe 415 series does not have published stall speeds and cannot perform the stall or spin task. Further examples are found in Figure 5-10, Examples of Certificate Limitations for Aircraft That Are Incapable of Performing Certain Tasks on a Practical Test.

[...]

Figure 5-10. Examples of Certificate Limitations for Aircraft That Are Incapable of Performing Certain Tasks on a Practical Test

[...]

D. The person is using an Ercoupe 415B for a private pilot certificate for an ASEL rating. This airplane does not have published stall speeds and cannot perform the stall or spin task. Specific guidance on the limitations to place on the applicant’s private pilot certificate is as follows:

Private pilot
ASEL limited to Ercoupe 415

NOTE: When the applicant completes a private pilot practical test in a single-engine airplane that has published stall speeds and stalling capabilities, the limitation may be removed.
You can certainly build time and fly cross-countries in your own Ercoupe in preparation for the checkride. But you may be better off to rent a more conventional airplane for the checkride and the last few hours leading up to it.

I was told per the listed in #4 that if you take your test with the DPE in and Ercoupe you will be limited to an Ercoupe or similar i.e. two control aircraft, unless you get one with rudder pedals.

I waited until I got my SP before buying my Ercoupe.

Ercoupes are ultimately very easy to fly, with the most difficult thing being getting used to not transitioning from a crab into landing slip. And that's with experienced pilots who have flown a bunch of other stuff. Not insurmountable, but unless you are planning to always fly an Ercoupe, the downside of learning without rudder pedals would, I expect, be a difficult transition learning how to use a rudder.

Last edited:
Back