For Sale: Aircraft [Wanted] Time builder in Southeast US

MarkH

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MarkH
Student/low time pilot on a budget looking for a basic time builder.

I am open to experimental and certified, taildraggers and trigear.

My ideal:

Requirements:
Low cost of ownership
Low Operating Costs
VFR Day

Negotiable for the right price, but desired:
2 seats
LSA
88+ Knots Cruise
VFR Night

Some planes I am actively searching for include:
Luscumbe 8s
Cessna 140s
Ercoupes
Cessna 150s
Kitfox/Avids

I am also open to Partnerships/Clubs, but the location is a huge concern (I am located on the south side of Atlanta, GA, near Hartsfield).

Are you looking for something to purchase for sole ownership? Or a Partnership? Or an existing owner willing to provide you access?

I am open to any of those options, but mostly I am looking at sole ownership.

I just got my c140, i love her... I researched many options and felt I made the best choice for me and my missions. $20-$25k will get you a pretty nice one with plenty of engine life if you do your research and inspections. Both my TW instructors are seasoned TW pilots and really liked how she flew. Great reputation for ease of maintenance as a broad rule, still an airplane though... The TW will make you a better pilot, I didnt understand this until I did it, plus its just plain fun to boot. You also then get to crack those real original lines about "real pilots dont need a training wheel" or "tricycles are for kids" on $100 hamburger runs with buddies. There is a very close knit family aspect of c120/140 ownership with fellow owners. Dont rule out a 120, same plane minus the ineffective flaps. Most will say avoid the 120/140s with metalized wings, except for the A model which was a factory alum wing. No real advantage of metalized wing with modern fabric, and its a sizable weight penalty. I get about 95 knots at cruise on 5 gal/hr.

I am open to any of those options, but mostly I am looking at sole ownership.
If you are willing to purchase a 90-95% complete project plane, I know of a local guy who has a Luscombe 8A he might sell.

See if Atlanta has an Aviator's Facebook page, and post your request there....

Dallas / Fort Worth has a strong one, and more than a few partnerships have formed from there.

AE80C67F-55A9-4A92-A8C9-1851535A8890.jpeg 5BA80A7D-23F0-4C4E-BB5B-58A4454BE802.jpeg Award winning 1947 Cessna 140. O-200 powered. You won’t find a nicer one. It’s not listed but I am kicking around the idea of selling it. $42,000

Eman reminds me of Dogberry, Act 4, scene 2, as he addresses the members of the watch

9A97077C-EB70-440E-9F84-4BDFE9B2283F.jpeg BF26F2D7-69C5-469E-A433-7D2F3884055D.jpeg 77347AEB-6A73-494A-A898-99DEEF51338F.jpeg 5CD1289F-9BF1-4C93-BA56-4B501F7A31DB.jpeg
@MBDiagMan ... What are your plans with Piggy?

Good question! It is difficult to justify keeping the Piggy, but really difficult to come to grips when it come to parting with her. She is extremely unique and a hoot to fly. I still haven’t ruled out getting my IR in her. I have room in my hangar for her. She costs less than $700 a year to insure and about that to annual. Even though the O200 is in great shape with many years of trouble free flying left in her, it is at TBO which makes its book value low.

A 120 or 140 make a great first plane. They are reliable, economical, challenging and fun. Get the right one and it can be a great time builder.

Last edited:
Good question! It is difficult to justify keeping the Piggy, but really difficult to come to grips when it come to parting with her. She is extremely unique and a hoot to fly. I still haven’t ruled out getting my IR in her. I have room in my hangar for her. She costs less than $700 a year to insure and about that to annual. Even though the O200 is in great shape with many years of trouble free flying left in her, it is at TBO which makes its book value low.
You and I need to go do some flying soon... Been away too long. And now that you have TWO really nice airplanes, that's all the more reason.

And I'd be willing to assist where I can on your IFR edyumyucashun.

I wish we were closer to each other Mike. It would be more practical to take you up on the offer. I will see how things go in the next week and might take you up on the offer if we can make schedules match. Thanks for the offer.

I have a Cherokee 140 in your price range also a Zenith 601 HD taildragger with a 130 horsepower Honda conversion. Both those well under $30k. Might also have a American Yankee AA1. All flying aircraft in annual.

I'm still looking, but I have expanded my search to include:
Grumman AA1s
PA28s
PA20/22s
Beech Musketeers

I'm open to considering nearly anything with cheap operating costs and more than 500lbs usable load.

I'm still looking, but I have expanded my search to include:
Grumman AA1s
PA28s
PA20/22s
Beech Musketeers

I'm open to considering nearly anything with cheap operating costs and more than 500lbs usable load.

The original American AA1's are the best of the lot. Fun airplanes - great roll rate and the fastest of the AA1 varieties, 138 mph cruise. I have the use of one and have it with me in Miami for the weekend due to Trump TFR.

IMG_20190328_113310311.jpg

That's gorgeous. Emotionally, my top choice is an AA1. But there is a reasonable voice in the back of my head that reminds me that I weigh 250lbs (though that is dropping) and plan to base it at a 3000' strip. So I am mostly looking for AA1B/Cs, but if I found a good deal on a "Hot Wing" AA1, I wouldn't try very hard to talk myself out of it.

That's gorgeous. Emotionally, my top choice is an AA1. But there is a reasonable voice in the back of my head that reminds me that I weigh 250lbs (though that is dropping) and plan to base it at a 3000' strip. So I am mostly looking for AA1B/Cs, but if I found a good deal on a "Hot Wing" AA1, I wouldn't try very hard to talk myself out of it.

Won't be a problem for you solo but I would not want to try it overloaded on a hot no-wind day out of 3000'.

Won't be a problem for you solo but I would not want to try it overloaded on a hot no-wind day out of 3000'.

I'm near Atlanta, so in the summer, it will be 3000' strip, 100 degrees, 80% RH. When I see a nice AA1 on the market, I hear a voice say "there is a 5500' strip just a 15 minute flight away, just have a girlfriend meet you there".

I'm near Atlanta, so in the summer, it will be 3000' strip, 100 degrees, 80% RH. When I see a nice AA1 on the market, I hear a voice say "there is a 5500' strip just a 15 minute flight away, just have a girlfriend meet you there".

There ya' go. I took off from KLNA yesterday with wind 20G28 right down the runway, solo with half fuel, and it jumped right off.

Just curious, have you ever tried to fly it for fuel burn? What speed/gph can you get if you try to minimize gph (without just gliding)?

Just curious, have you ever tried to fly it for fuel burn? What speed/gph can you get if you try to minimize gph (without just gliding)?

Haven't flown it that much and at over 20 mpg and a mogas STC, I am not looking for that. It has speed and that is what I plan on using on any xc. Check the type forums, I am sure they can answer that question.

Back