First flight of 2019 into the foothills

joycem137

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Robin

Got my plane back from annual and took it up for my usual post-maintenance flight from KRHV to O22 in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas. Picked up friends and went over to Castle to go to the air museum, then back!

I was also testing out a new camera mount so I could actually watch my landings from the outside. Alas, technical issues resulted in me only capturing one landing (around 12:40), and it wasn't even the best one of the day! Also, the sound got all screwed up, so I'm using a friend's music to cover up that fact. :p

The mechanics fixed a whole bunch of stuff. They cleaned up the rudder trim, replaced the yoke universal, removed some buttons that weren't doing anything from my yoke, and repainted the bits of the yoke where paint was flaking off. The result felt amazing. I swear, it felt like a brand new airplane.

The terrain was beautiful, and we had a blast. I'm so glad to have my bird back for the new year. :)

Last edited:
I can't wait to get back up in the air after our solid week of rain in SoCal. The Chino Hills are so green now! (of course, that's more fuel for next fire season :eek:).

I like the belly-cam view...gotta do some more of that myself to self-critique landings. Here's one with a take-off from Chandler AZ where you can see my RV's spindly bird-leg gear!

watch

Love me a castle run! That runway is so long. The first time i took off there I thought it was going to take my 172 15 minutes to get down the runway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Great scenery... thanks for posting.
The greatest shortfall of the Garmin camera is the short battery life.

The speed was out of control a few times too... Unless you normally see ground speeds of 170 kts and back to 100 over the course of 20 seconds of actual flight.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the memories. I soloed at RHV, and then a few months later, the first leg of my dual cross country was to Columbia.

Back