SkewTLogPro app sropped working

Jbrauertn

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jbrauertn
My SkewTLogPro app quit providing information and I was wondering if anyone else is having the same problem. I was thinking maybe it had todo with the government “shutdown”. Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Been a known issue since the government shutdown became a drawn out thing....

They are still putting up the balloons. NWS forecasters are deemed essential, working without pay.

It happened in a previous shutdown as well.

Just as soon as funding was restored, the skew-T data came online again. The app served very well as a government-shutdown indicator.

Agreed, the balloons still fly, the data are still collected, the computers still run and produce forecasts.
But someone made a conscious decision that they would shut off the data publishing. So even the RUC soundings webpage is "down". Someone made more conscious effort to go through extra work and create a webpage announcing government shutdown.

The NOAA home page has a prominent announcement

“Parts of the U.S. Government are closed. This site is being updated, however, only with furlough-related information to support NOAA employees; NOAA websites and social media channels necessary to protect lives and property are also being maintained.”

Apparently the need to protect lives from the threat of icing was not considered, when they decided to shut off the distribution of upper air data.

I’m completely sympathetic with unpaid employees, but I have to wonder about the choice of not distributing potentially life-saving data that the models keep churning out.

Last edited:
12 hours ago OMB instructed agencies to reopen

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/gove...rnment-shutdown-instructs-agencies-to-reopen/

But Skew T log pro still has no upper-air data. It just shows blank graphs, the same as during the shutdown

It’s a similar situation for the NOAA “RUC soundings” webpage for skew-T plots — that page is still redirected to https://governmentshutdown.noaa.gov

And the NOAA home page itself is still featuring the big red box announcing a shutdown.

The rucsoundings site is where the SkewTLogPro app gets its data. When one comes up, so will the other.

But, chances are there isn't one guy whose job it is just to run rucsoundings. They've been away for pretty much 6 weeks, it might take a second to get everything back in order.

Back