Worst no-call EVER

I'm not a fan of either team although I respect what Brees has done in his career. The Rams essentially 'cheated' their way into the SuperBowl and the officials head office admitted as much (it was reported). Now for the Pats, I was born & raised in Mass. and have lots of family there, so I do root for them. So give Almighty Brady a break, he didn't throw the flag! :stirpot:

I'm not a fan of either team although I respect what Brees has done in his career. The Rams essentially 'cheated' their way into the SuperBowl and the officials head office admitted as much (it was reported). Now for the Pats, I was born & raised in Mass. and have lots of family there, so I do root for them. So give Almighty Brady a break, he didn't throw the flag! :stirpot:

Trying to imagine how the Rams cheated their way in. Were they supposed to go to the refs and tell them they blew the call and deserve to be penalized?

Yes they were! Didn't have a dog in the fight, but both games were super fun to watch.
I missed a lot of the first game, I was only able to catch a few minutes at a time.

Being from KC, I was slanted in game #2. The Chiefs and Patriots play each other in the regular season about every year, it's just the way the NFL scheduling formula works. Game #1 this year was in New England and was a high scoring, down the the last play game. Game #2 was similar. Both games, I'm sure to an outsider, would have been a lot of fun. They play each other again next year in the regular season, and there's always the possibility they see each other in the playoffs.

The KC/Rams Monday night game earlier this year was another crazy, high scoring game that also went down to the wire. Great for ratings, and great for hoping for a rematch.

Trying to imagine how the Rams cheated their way in. Were they supposed to go to the refs and tell them they blew the call and deserve to be penalized?
In a perfect world, yes. While my days as a referee and player were not on the same stage as the NFC Championship game, there has been a number of times where I was approached by the team who benefited saying I missed the call. We conferred and changed it. There has also been times where I as a player did the same thing. Once an official did not change his call, so we as a team made it right on the next play, by purposefully making obvious that it evened out. But in today's win at all costs, yeah right. Never gonna happen.

What I see when I watch a foot ball game.

o-BABY-CRYING-570.jpg

Unbelievable to me the idolatry of people that play games.

Not sure how watching any form of entertainment automatically equates to idolatry. Reno Air Races is idolatry? Red Bull? YouTube videos? GTFO.

There is one person that could have made a difference, the commissioner.

In a perfect world, yes. While my days as a referee and player were not on the same stage as the NFC Championship game, there has been a number of times where I was approached by the team who benefited saying I missed the call. We conferred and changed it. There has also been times where I as a player did the same thing. Once an official did not change his call, so we as a team made it right on the next play, by purposefully making obvious that it evened out. But in today's win at all costs, yeah right. Never gonna happen.

that's all well and good in kindergarten kickball, Ed. this is professional sports.

You hate us cuz you ain’t us! :)

I hope you all get to hate Brady for another 3 years.

You do know I made it to final cuts with a pro football team, right?

nope, didn't know that. doesn't change my stance that no pro football team will ever 'tank' a play because a ref missed a call against their own team.

nope, didn't know that. doesn't change my stance that no pro football team will ever 'tank' a play because a ref missed a call against their own team.

Not saying they would. But they should.

No, but the defensive player Robey-Coleman admitted he'd committed the foul: "Ah, hell yeah, that was PI" he was quoted in the locker room after. I don't think it's a stretch to say intentionally committing a foul is a form of cheating. The refs blew the call, but I wouldn't be proud of that play by any means.

No, but the defensive player Robey-Coleman admitted he'd committed the foul: "Ah, hell yeah, that was PI" he was quoted in the locker room after. I don't think it's a stretch to say intentionally committing a foul is a form of cheating. The refs blew the call, but I wouldn't be proud of that play by any means.

They're all taught to cheat, hold with your hands this way vs that way and you won't get called, etc.

Wow, this post is dripping with unintended irony.

They're all taught to cheat, hold with your hands this way vs that way and you won't get called, etc.
"Make them make the call!"

It's a standard strategy. Happens all the time.

How about the strategy of intentionally underthrowing a pass so the the receiver puts on the brakes, gets run over, and gets the pass interference penalty?

It's all part of the game. It isn't really cheating, it's honest. If an official wants to make the call, he can - it's happening right in front of him. If he lets it go, that's his choice. And there are other officials looking at the play from other angles, too. Sure, sometimes things happen so quickly they don't get caught, or sometimes the officials have a brain vapor lock, but that's just the human aspect of any officiated sport.

In some cases, like the holding, players are taught how to hold so they don't get caught. But that's so prevalent, and the officials know it, that it's not called even if it's seen...as long as you are doing it right.

Oh, man, now I got onto instant replays:

In some ways, the instant replay has changed the way a sport has been played: I generally look at baseball as an example. Used to be, for the whole history of the game, if a player beat the throw he was safe. Simple. Now, thanks to multiple replay angles, slow motion, and HD, the replay official has a better view than the umpires on the field. Did the runner's foot pop over the bag for a tiny fraction of a second? These are calls being made now that aren't possible, and never were possible, for a human to make in real time. Players have had to adjust how they slide into 2nd and 3rd now to avoid being called out on a replay review. All in the name of "getting the call right".

I'd personally like to see instant replay reviews only allowed at full speed. If it was missed, fix it. But don't give replay officials information that wasn't available to the officials on the field during the flow of the game.

Last edited:

Pats fan calling anyone a cheater is classic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I heard on the news that there is an eye doctor in LA offering free eye exams to NFL refs.

To make it even worse, there is clear video of one ref telling another not to throw the flag. Rumor has it that ref actually lives in L.A.

I always sigh when I hear fans of my team, or someone else's team attribute a loss to officiating. Look, I'm a Washington Capitals fan, who has one of the most hated hockey players in the league on their roster.

Refs don't call what they don't see, and their perspective on the field(ice, or whatever) is very different then what we see watching broadcast TV.

My opinion on blaming officiating is that if the team is so good that they should have won the game, why did it come down to one play? When two good teams play each other, things are going to come down to essentially a coin toss at some point--one broken play, one bad bounce, or one missed call. That's just how sports works.

As far as league wants X team to win conspiracies, if this were the case, wouldn't there have been an expose' by now. I mean, NFL refs aren't paid that much; seems like a lucrative opportunity to expose the league and owners that they're fixing games.
I want Oshie back

As much as I’d like to have seen NO win and as much as I think that was the worst blown call in the history of sports, I also believe that NO most likely have scored another TD if they hadn’t pulled Brees and put in Hill on the plays down by the goal line. Use him as a receiver or running back but not a QB. I think Payton is a great coach but that is a boneheaded move.

Pats fan calling anyone a cheater is classic! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I wasn't talking about the Pats nor was I defending inflate-gate. It also doesn't change the fact it was a terrible non-call. Pats were fined $1M and lost a first round draft pick, so punishment (however meager) was dispensed. Not so much in this, unless you count the fact the Saints missed out on a trip to the SB. Just my .02.

Wow. . no dog in this fight, but. . .NFL officiating is far more balanced than other pro sports. The major "dishonest" aspects are the blatant holding allowed by O lines, and receivers mugging DBs (pushing off, grabbing to prevent INTs, illegal pick plays). . .but it is consistent - all offenses, for every team, benefit.

NBA - stars can't walk, or foul out at home, or have their shots consistently blocked - and home games are "homered" such that few good teams are significantly above .500 on the road, most seasons.

MLB - anyone remember Frank Thomas' strike zone? About the size of a 3X5 card? Routine for the ump's strike zone to bear no relation to the rule book, and for it to vary depending on the batter's "status".

NHL - gutless officiating in third periods - they swallow the whistle. Zero integrity, if you think something that deserved a whistle in the first minute should also get one in the last. . .

Back