Garmin 660

MikeS

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
MikeS
I've admired this little unit since it came out and it appears, like all things electronic, to just be getting better.

It integrates perfectly with my KR-76A with encoder. It has wi-fi and bluetooth, som my question is whether it will display my transponder code I'm putting out on my 660 screen.

My TX is buried way down underneath in the dark area underneath the panel, mounted on it's side, so putting in the right numbers has always been a problem. Counting clicks works once pretty reliably but when they start firing new codes at you on approach my system falls apart. Sometimes I get them right . . . sometimes I don't. I've taken several approaches to getting this problem solved but it would be nice to have the TX code displayed on my main nav (the 660) screen, as a back-up to make sure I've entered the correct digits.

Anybody know if the 660 will display TX codes?

I'm going to be installing the "echoUAT+SkyFYX-EXT Bundle". It's a one-stop solution for in/out and not expensive either. $1300 and possibly less by the time I'm ready to buy it.

Thanks,
'
Mike
'

I assume you mean the venerable KT-76A transponder? Other than the Mode A/C transponder signal itself, I don't believe it has any output capability to a remote device.

I've admired this little unit since it came out and it appears, like all things electronic, to just be getting better.

It integrates perfectly with my KR-76A with encoder. It has wi-fi and bluetooth, som my question is whether it will display my transponder code I'm putting out on my 660 screen.

My TX is buried way down underneath in the dark area underneath the panel, mounted on it's side, so putting in the right numbers has always been a problem. Counting clicks works once pretty reliably but when they start firing new codes at you on approach my system falls apart. Sometimes I get them right . . . sometimes I don't. I've taken several approaches to getting this problem solved but it would be nice to have the TX code displayed on my main nav (the 660) screen, as a back-up to make sure I've entered the correct digits.

I'm going to be installing the "echoUAT+SkyFYX-EXT Bundle". It's a one-stop solution for in/out and not expensive either. $1300 and possibly less by the time I'm ready to buy it.

Thanks,
'
Mike
'

Yeah, KT76A hooked to a 660 ain't happening.

The only way I think a 660 might be able to display XPDR code at all might be if it is connected (wired or wirelessly) to some sort of ADS-B receiver. I have no idea how well the "echoUAT+SkyFYX-EXT Bundle" plays with Garmin devices so compatibility seems like a stretch. Even if that did work you won't be changing squawk codes from the 660.

I would consider relocating the transponder or replacing it with something else.

Echo hat

Thanks,
'
Mike
'

Looks like a nightmare setup.

Old thread I know. I was just going back through previous discussions so thought to update this one.

The ADS-B In source I mentioned about is this:

https://uavionix.com/products/echo-uat/

It will communicate with the 660 via wi-fi or BT.

I haven't ordered it yet however since I've been looking at using a Garmin receiver instead - although in looking at this uAvionix unit again I'm not sure why.

There's one space-based system already available and will probably be more by the time January 2020 rolls around so I'm basically just watching it all develop and will pounce when the time is right. I've seen - and I'm sure everyone reading this has seen this phenomenon as well - pilots buying into systems which later turn out need to be replaced for either compatibility or functional reasons.

Old thread I know. I was just going back through previous discussions so thought to update this one.

The ADS-B In source I mentioned about is this:

https://uavionix.com/products/echo-uat/

It will communicate with the 660 via wi-fi or BT.

I haven't ordered it yet however since I've been looking at using a Garmin receiver instead - although in looking at this uAvionix unit again I'm not sure why.

There's one space-based system already available and will probably be more by the time January 2020 rolls around so I'm basically just watching it all develop and will pounce when the time is right. I've seen - and I'm sure everyone reading this has seen this phenomenon as well - pilots buying into systems which later turn out need to be replaced for either compatibility or functional reasons.

I believe the 660 will only work with Garmin products via BT.. The wifi is only used for updates.. I was going to get one to use with my Stratus but Garmin told me it doesn't do traffic/WX via WiFi..

Thanks for pointing out that my idea of connecting the echoUAT to the 660 is a dud. That was clear mis-information on my part . . . based upon the mistaken assumption that since it (660) has wi-fi, I could pair it with wi-fi ADS-B. I've since come across many references to the fact that Garmin only works with Garmin. Seems to be a rule. If there is some kind of work-around, I haven't figured it out yet . . . but then, I'm not very smart.

If I become willing to give up the 660 and go to something of equivalent size and luminosity such as a Samsung Note 5 (or similar) all sorts of options open up. I'm very reluctant to abandon the 660 though. It's such a complete, aviation-dedicated, sturdy little navigator that I've become fixated.

The 660 is a perfect size as a poor mans mfd, Can be panel mounted in the radio stack, it’s interesting that 660 is not like GP, clearly written by 2 different groups.
87d76591f02987c71e13d09904f08cac.jpg

Tom

Love my Aera 660 paired with a
dc9c0d472e7d3f772b6d853cdaea694f.jpg
GDL 39 3D on the dash. Mine is panel mounted and hardwired. I Bluetooth it to my Garmin Pilot app; change flight plan on one, and the other gets a pop up to transfer and activate. Eventually when either of my com radios fail, I’ll get a Garmin com and hard wire it to the 660 which can send frequencies to the com standby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Add me to the list of people that love their Aera 660...
IMG_20181107_154429 (1).jpg

Back