Any Coin Experts?

Velocity173

Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Velocity173
Somehow got this in my change today while shopping. Says The Crystal Palace??? Looks and feels like the old tokens we had when I worked at an arcade.

91724E2E-513D-4DA2-B47F-08E1A5A2E72C.jpeg

Looks like a modern reproduction. Everything on google images for the original medals doesn't show your medal's face layout.

Looks like a modern reproduction. Everything on google images for the original medals doesn't show your medal's face layout.

I contacted the Birminghamminttoken.com guy in the above link a few hours ago. He said it was a souvenir coin made by Allen & Moore in 1851 for the London Exhibition. I guess he doesn’t have my version on his page. Said it’s rarity on a scale of 1-10 (10 most rare) is only a 3. Retails for a whopping 10-13 British Pounds. I’m rich! :DSaid it’s quite a find. I suppose it is. Getting change back from Walmart that’s suppose to be a quarter and I get a British token is quite a find.

An amazing find.

The Great Exhibition of 1851 was a huge thing.
Edit: (6,039,722 visitors).

The building, which became known as the Crystal Palace was constructed in Hyde Park which is in central London.

After the Exhibition it was moved a few miles to an area now known as Crystal Palace. The building was destroyed by fire in 1936.

There is a Premier League football (soccer) team known as Crystal Palace.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crystal_Palace
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Exhibition

The image (from the Wiki page) is I think a photo taken in 1854 after the building was moved and re-constructed. The image is credited to The Smithsonian.

Crystal_Palace_General_view_from_Water_Temple.jpg

Last edited:
I contacted the Birminghamminttoken.com guy in the above link a few hours ago. He said it was a souvenir coin made by Allen & Moore in 1851 for the London Exhibition. I guess he doesn’t have my version on his page. Said it’s rarity on a scale of 1-10 (10 most rare) is only a 3. Retails for a whopping 10-13 British Pounds. I’m rich! :DSaid it’s quite a find. I suppose it is. Getting change back from Walmart that’s suppose to be a quarter and I get a British token is quite a find.

I found a Canadian quarter in my pocket once after a quick turn in Toronto. Only thing is that I never bought anything as I never left the aircraft.

Still have no idea how it got into my pocket.

It probably has been cleaned which lowers the value.

Mine was pretty dull and I couldn’t read the letters so I cleared it up with some metal polish. After I did that I was thinking that I probably lowered the value as well. Not worth much any way I suppose.

Back