Panel and switch labels

Let'sgoflying!

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Taylor
Maybe I am dreaming but I have this idea I might be able to buy a pack of Avery clear, self-stick sheets, put them in my printer and spit out nice clear black ink with a clear background, to stick on my rocker switches.

Doable?

It is probably worth trying.

Is your printer Laser or Ink Jet? Laser would be better. Also, if the labels are were they will get touched frequently, like on the switch, you might look into a clear layer to go on top like the label material itself. Toner will wear off.,

I have both types printers.
I have only seen the Avery clear sheets in a very thick, inflexible form.
Thinking a thinner film would do the minor contours better.
Hoping someone who has done this will stroll along.

Thanks Stewart, I saw that website yesterday; did you have to buy the laminator & heatgun? (you can’t just pay them to do it?)

I’ve done the clear Avery stuff with an inkjet. It works but has a life of about 3-4 years.

I played around with the Decalpro stuff but just didn’t have the patience to get it right.

Latest thing was thin plastic sheet painted to Match my panel. Then sent out to someone who printed what I wanted on them. Cut them out and glued/screwed them in. Working well so far (2-3 years). Though the ones shown here are in the process of being removed for a panel upgrade.
483fd2708f1f4c86fd927ad2271fa6e5.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks Stewart, I saw that website yesterday; did you have to buy the laminator & heatgun? (you can’t just pay them to do it?)
My mechanic had the laminator. He said they're about $100 on eBay. I have a picture of the instruction sheet on my phone if that interests you. I don't figure these labels are forever but they'll work for a few years.

I'm using the Dymo Rhino industrial labeler. I've bought 1/2" clear vinyl tape with black print for instrument panel labels. I use the same labeler to print wire labels on the Rhino heat shrink.

Here's what I used for all the panel labels in my exp Cub.
Cool! What is "timing curve" ? Are you able to adjust the timing on your powerplant, one switch per mag? Curious...

I can use the standard "A" curve ir choose the "B" curve for 5* more advance. It's a standard Pmag feature but not everyone installs a panel switch.

I have a Dymo that has white tape with black print. Anyone have a Dymo that uses clear or black tape with white print? Do the cartridges interchange? I can’t seem to find white on black for mine.

Here’s mine from the prior owner:
77FDD1FC-68CE-4FB7-94E0-80DFFAD57C4E.jpeg

Last edited:
Label makers like dymo and p-touch only print black. Your only choice is on what color the label is. Generally white or clear.

You don't dig the yellow tape look?!?

Actually it is on my list to get these done correctly, probably the way @Stewartb recommended.

panel.jpg

Mine had sloppy printing on green masking tape when it was inspected. ;)

AA0B0DBF-D7F9-4F4B-BDE8-911B6019DDF6.jpegtape when it was inspected

Maybe a computer? I printed some labels once on bumper sticker paper and then clear coated it.

Label.jpg

I’ve always wondered why Dymo or Brother don’t let you do inverse printing.

Last edited:
That's what I used. I was able to tweak the font size as well, to match the other lettering. See attached - the ELT and CO MONITOR breaker labels are by Ptouch.DSCN0171.jpg

White print on clear tape is available; photo attached

Attachments

• tze135__11106_1380036304.jpg
    tze135__11106_1380036304.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 22
Maybe I am dreaming but I have this idea I might be able to buy a pack of Avery clear, self-stick sheets, put them in my printer and spit out nice clear black ink with a clear background, to stick on my rocker switches.

Doable?

Yes, but it probably won't last forever, and won't look as good after a few years.

IMO, the way it should really be done is how @TangoWhiskey is doing his: Laser cutter. Here's what he posted on YouTube:

Folks, please consider using mixed case lettering, instead of just upper case lettering, for your labeling. It’s just better.

Folks, please consider using mixed case lettering, instead of just upper case lettering, for your labeling. It’s just better.
It is? Better tell Cessna and Piper and Boeing then because all of them have been doing it wrong apparently.

Agreed. When I was building my panel, I did some research on that. One of the things I learned was no mixed case labels. Upper case only.

It might have been in the Air Force research paper on cockpit design. But it was a while ago.

It is? Better tell Cessna and Piper and Boeing then because all of them have been doing it wrong apparently.
So have contracts for decades as the standard way of emphasizing. Of course, that was all based on technology in which it was the ONLY way. One of those, "always did it that way so we still do" things. Studies galore have indicated mixed case is just easier to read.

OTOH, a few words on a label is quite different than three paragraphs of warranty disclaimers in a 30 page contract.

OTOH, a few words on a label is quite different than three paragraphs of warranty disclaimers in a 30 page contract.
Yeah a contract (even a 1 page contract) is not at all the same thing as a switch label. If mixed case was better, I would expect that auto makers would have adopted it by now. But to my knowledge none have. The closest I've seen on the automotive side is the Volvo commercial trucks. Case doesn't matter for them because they don't use any words at all. All switches and controls are labeled with icons only. They can use the same switches regardless of destination country that way.

Of course the problem with icons only is that you end up with drivers who have put a couple hundred thousand miles on their Volvo and still have no idea what a few of the switches do because they stubbornly refuse to crack the manual open despite their boss begging them to read it. Don't ask me how I know this.

I certainly wouldn’t want to question the design decisions of those makers of fine aircraft panels, nope.

I certainly wouldn’t want to question the design decisions of those makers of fine aircraft panels, nope.
For-profit companies do what sells. What sells usually sells for a reason. Shrug.

Back