Slick 4300 Series 500hr Inspection

AKBill

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
AKBill
Can anyone recommend a good shop for a 500hr inspection on the Slick 4300 series Mag?

I was thinking of doing it myself but the tools needed for an overhaul alone are around $700. I have seen a 500hr inspection cost around $375 + parts.

Comments please, Thanks
BB

I used Magneto ER out of bald knob Arkansas. His price was fair and the turn around was fast. That was about 2 years ago.

Thanks, what did they charge you?
Good question, I have the work order in front of me but don't have the receipt. I'll keep digging and see if I can find it. Might just have to call him.

Good question, I have the work order in front of me but don't have the receipt. I'll keep digging and see if I can find it. Might just have to call him.
OK, thanks. I'll give them a call.
Safe flying..:)

I had the inspection done for about $300/pair IIRC. They replaced the points. Apparently slicks eat points for whatever reason.

Tom

I had the inspection done for about $300/pair IIRC. They replaced the points. Apparently slicks eat points for whatever reason.

Tom
My timing has not had to be changed for several years. Points is something I was concerned about

According to Slick they're designed so that the points and the cam wear at the same rate, thus the timing should not change. I don't know how well that works in the real world.

I sent my mags into aircraftmagnetoservice and am happy with the work they did. If you look at their site, they have pictures of the employees. The one that looks like Santa is the owner and when I talked to him about my mags before I sent them in, he asked if they were Slick or Bendix. I told him Bendix and he said that was a good thing as they can be rebuilt several times over. He also said that replacement parts and labor for the Slick mags can sometimes cost more than a new Slick mag. Just something to think about.

Several years ago aircraftmagnetoservice suggested that I could save money by NOT having them OH a pair of mags I had, but buying new, from someone else who could give me a better price. You can't beat that for honesty.

Several years ago aircraftmagnetoservice suggested that I could save money by NOT having them OH a pair of mags I had, but buying new, from someone else who could give me a better price. You can't beat that for honesty.

Yep, and they even send back the pieces they replaced in a plastic bag so you can see what was wrong with them.

Back