That's simply beautiful (old engine internals; gif)

What drives the prop shaft?

Since it is a planetary drive, the spider ring with the small gears rotating between the ring plates, is connected to the prop shaft.

Since it is a planetary drive, the spider ring with the small gears rotating between the ring plates, is connected to the prop shaft.
In this case the planetary gear assembly is the prop shaft'
So, the answer to the question is .. the planetary gear.
That was a test question on the old navy ADR first class test. :)

It looks to me like the “planetary gear” looking thing acts as a thrust bearing, not a gearbox.

It looks to me like the “planetary gear” looking thing acts as a thrust bearing, not a gearbox.
If you watch carefully, you will see that the planet carrier is turning at the same speed as the prop, and the after gear is turning with the crankshaft which turning at a higher speed.

What drives the prop shaft?

Have you never seen one of these displays in a museum or mechanic school? They use an electric motor to turn the engine/prop.

Watching that video has always amazed me. Chrysler shut down the plant within hours of the announcement that Japan had capitulated. It was immediately The End.

Watching that video has always amazed me. Chrysler shut down the plant within hours of the announcement that Japan had capitulated. It was immediately The End.
As late as 1968 we were getting new engines out of cans dated 1945. 1973 we installed 4 new engines on PMR's willies to send them to Davis Monthan Junk yard

Back