Long term projection of plane value

Ben2k9

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ben2k9
Anyone want to take a stab at this...I'm trying to imagine what a plane will be worth in 15 years. Let's say a 10 year old SR-20, purchased for $200k now. Let's assume a new or remanufactured engine will have the same number of hours at that time and the plane will be kept up reasonably with technology. In today's dollars, do you think it could be worth half? More or less? Just curious what some of you think.

Thanks

Off the cuff, not counting for inflation, presuming low hours per year, 120ish?

If you want something that will age better, look at stuff like skywagons, U206, PA18, stearman, etc

More or less? Just curious what some of you think.
Too many variables. One major AD or an OEM gets bought out/closes or a change to LSA rules or a model simply becomes unpopular can influence any one aircraft cost. If you look at any one legacy airframe you can see various cycles to their values.

You could also look at it from another angle. What type aircraft do you see yourself flying in 15 years? Then apply that logic to what price that aircraft may be. If 5/10 of your fellow pilots pick the same aircraft then that model's cost will be higher compared to others.

I had a couple of clients who wheeled in aircraft as investments and anything short of aircraft that operate 135 or 121 it's difficult to figure the up/down of private GA aircraft prices.

What are the life limits on the Cirrus airframe? At one point they were pretty low, but I recall they were bumped up, just don't remember the numbers. *Edit* Looked it up and I think it's 12,000 hours.

Aren't there historical graphs out there depicting asking prices vs year for Bonanza/Cessna etc?
Could'a swore I saw that.

15 years should bring us the long awaited autonomous flying vehicle. If I was betting in Vegas, I would say $25k max.

I know I shouldn't speculate, but I suspect anything that is commonly used (and used up) in work situations like flight training, aerial photography, surveillance, pipeline, corporate stuff. In the single market I'd suspect 150/152s, 172s, 182s, 206s, 210s, 177RGs will maintain their value. Maybe the Cherokee 6 series if there gets to be a bigger need for smaller hauler aircraft. OTOH, drones may replace some of those jobs, but not for a while. For example, there's no good replacement for a Cardinal in a lot of aerial photography situations so if nothing changes the demand for a low-time good condition example will probably stay high, but that could change if the FAA would relax some rules and let us use something like the Pipistrel Virus that's not legal to use here in the US because of LSA restrictions, but has a dedicated photography version that people are using in Europe: https://www.pipistrel.si/plane/surveyor/overview

In addition to the above, what if you find metal in the filter before TBO? Then the depreciation question no longer matches the financial decision-making criteria you may have made.

Anyone want to take a stab at this...I'm trying to imagine what a plane will be worth in 15 years. Let's say a 10 year old SR-20, purchased for $200k now. Let's assume a new or remanufactured engine will have the same number of hours at that time and the plane will be kept up reasonably with technology. In today's dollars, do you think it could be worth half? More or less? Just curious what some of you think.

Too many variables to predict... See below.

Aren't there historical graphs out there depicting asking prices vs year for Bonanza/Cessna etc?
Could'a swore I saw that.

Even if you had it, I don't think it applies to something like a Cirrus.

The conventional wisdom quite a while ago was that you could buy a new airplane and its value would go down for the first 7 years or so and then start going back up, very slowly. It would never go up in inflation-adjusted dollars, but it would go up in the number of dollars. However, that no longer seems to hold true, for a couple of big reasons:

1) New, sexy composite airplanes. Compare how a new 172 depreciates compared to an SR-20, I bet it's pretty different. Same for a 182 or 206 vs. an SR22. People WANT the Cirrus, and they attract plenty of buyers from outside aviation circles. You probably don't buy a brand new 182 unless you have a specific mission in mind for it. So, I would expect to see the older-design aircraft depreciating faster initially. However, you also have some people who keep buying whatever the new hotness is that Cirrus offers, so the supply of used Cirrus airplanes increases faster than the supply of used Cessnas. Now, that supply of used Cessnas started quite a bit larger, so Cirrus has a long way to go to catch up, which brings us to the second point:

2) "Jumping the gap". Hardly any small airplanes were produced between 1986 and 1997 because of liability concerns after the Cessna seat-track lawsuit until the General Aviation Revitalization Act was passed. Because of the big gap in model years, there's also going to be a big gap in prices there, so demand for the later airplanes will increase slowly until they get to the point where more buyers can afford to "jump the gap" and buy the newer airplanes. There will be a tipping point where that pool of buyers starts to get big enough to prop up the prices of the older "new" airplanes and keep their values up, but who knows when that will be or the magnitude.

Looking at the SR-20 specifically, it came out in 1999 so it's only been out for almost 20 years, and you're trying to guess 15 years into the future... There are zero 35-year-old Cirruses right now. Who knows how well they'll stand up to the test of time? There could be an AD that comes out that causes their value to plummet within the next 15 years, or they may be really well-regarded, standing up to time very well, and in high demand. And who knows what inflation will be.

So, I guess I would say that my "stab" is this: If you buy a $200K SR-20 today, it will be worth somewhere between $0 and $500K in 15 years.

So the reason I'm trying to figure this out is I'm interested in starting a flying club here in Nashville and buying another plane like an SR-20 and then leasing it to the club. Trying to figure out a fair rate to lease to the club so that I am compensated for the value of the plane and earn a modest return for the risk and capital, and the deal is attractive to members as well (for I would be a member and subject to the same financial terms for membership and flying the planes too). Thinking about car companies and their financial lease model, I would assume they calculate the deprecation based over time and mileage and that's what you pay for, as well as some more padded in for a profit. The club would pay for all the fixed and operating expenses of the plane, so in essence the owner of the plane would simply want to earn a rate of return in excess of the deprecation of the plane in order for it to make any financial sense.

I don't see the Cirrus of today going for many times their original price in the future like the Cessna and Piper of years past do today. They will most likely depreciate quickly then level off at some lower price.

I don't see the Cirrus of today going for many times their original price in the future like the Cessna and Piper of years past do today. They will most likely depreciate quickly then level off at some lower price.
Well, you don't see 1997 Cessnas and Pipers selling for many times their original price. Only ancient ones. And five years ago, there was a huge dip in prices (right when I sold!) and that will happen periodically.

Newer planes loose value. Nice old classics will gain value. I try to stay in the category of plane that will gain.

Well, you don't see 1997 Cessnas and Pipers selling for many times their original price. Only ancient ones. And five years ago, there was a huge dip in prices (right when I sold!) and that will happen periodically.

I guess you are right about that but that is in the near term. I think in the long term that the Cessna and Piper resell price as a percentage of its original price will be higher than that of a Cirrus. I could be wrong of course but that is my theory.

A4556F51-ACEC-40F5-B1BD-5AB69DDB2C5C.png For the fast plane I arrive in style in the V35B. Anyone can buy a new Cirrus. Not everyone has a Classy like new Bonanza. The wife and son look good in it also
The Bonanza will gain value over the years.

I guess you are right about that but that is in the near term. I think in the long term that the Cessna and Piper resell price as a percentage of its original price will be higher than that of a Cirrus. I could be wrong of course but that is my theory.
For people who want the "newer" Cessnas and Pipers, maybe. But only because they will be rare. Look up how many Cirri have been produced since '97. Then compare that number with total Cessna, Piper, and Beech single recip production.

... The Bonanza will gain value over the years.
Any given Bo may or may not "gain value", but inflation adjusted, it's simply not likely. And cockpit-wise, I know which one I'd choose. Folks are talking about the depreciation of the Cirrus, but which planes are being flown more?

Ask yourself these questions, would you buy a 35 year old SR22 today and what would you pay for it? Would you want a 35 year old airplane that requires a chute repack that costs 10-15% of the aircrafts value and is generally an expensive maintenance aircraft. How many 35 year old SR22s are available?

Back