Approach or Departure?

Well there are arrival sectors Tim. Just saying. :D

Of course there is, but its internal to ATC and the scope and chair that the controller's pink butt is currently in front of. Approach doesn't say, contact "arrival" when they hand them off to the arrival controller, they just say approach. That's what I was getting at with my controller (who STILL isn't rated by the way) who looks at the A or the D tag and says "arrival" instead of approach.

Late to the party, but I use "approach" primarily because it's only two syllables and "departure" is three. It just seems cleaner.

My CFII got me in the practice of using departure when making first call to ATC when leaving the departure airport. That's the only time I do it. I know it's probably the least important aspect of the flight, but it's just the way I was trained and it stuck.

Did my BFR last and asked the CFI, who said only use Departure if actually departing with an assigned squawk code. Then he said it may be different, depending on the airport/controllers and their workflow.

Never had or heard ATC say “say my name!”

Unless it’s Monterey (MRY) tower or ground. There are some remarkably anal retentive folks there with nothing better to do... they’ll make aircraft repeat radio calls numerous times, until all the elements are just so...

I was waiting for a mature pilot with a distinctive accent to get taxi instructions from transient parking to the runway...

One time he’d abbreviate his N#, and ground would ask for full N#. Next time he’d omit the ATIS letter, and get that request. About the fifth attempt, he just called GROUND and the federal servant of the people said, “Aircraft transmitting on 120.87, say again facility name?”

The poor pilot took a rest, so I made the call for him. Took all I had not to append, “Thanks *******!” to my acknowledgement of the taxi instructions...

Paul

Unless it’s Monterey (MRY) tower or ground. There are some remarkably anal retentive folks there with nothing better to do... they’ll make aircraft repeat radio calls numerous times, until all the elements are just so...

I was waiting for a mature pilot with a distinctive accent to get taxi instructions from transient parking to the runway...

One time he’d abbreviate his N#, and ground would ask for full N#. Next time he’d omit the ATIS letter, and get that request. About the fifth attempt, he just called GROUND and the federal servant of the people said, “Aircraft transmitting on 120.87, say again facility name?”

The poor pilot took a rest, so I made the call for him. Took all I had not to append, “Thanks *******!” to my acknowledgement of the taxi instructions...

Paul

Sooo, you’re saying it’s a great airport outside of the hours of 0600-2100 ;)

In my area I just say norcal for both, sometimes I don’t even say that, might not be right but works.

The radar facility is departure only when you are switched from tower to “departure”. All other cases it’s “approach”

tex

Of course there is, but its internal to ATC and the scope and chair that the controller's pink butt is currently in front of. Approach doesn't say, contact "arrival" when they hand them off to the arrival controller, they just say approach. That's what I was getting at with my controller (who STILL isn't rated by the way) who looks at the A or the D tag and says "arrival" instead of approach.

We would say "contact Arrival..." back when I was in the Air Force. Though usually that was only for military aircraft actually arriving at the base, we'd use the same terminology for civilian aircraft too if they were transiting that airspace. And I have recently been asked to contact Vance Arrival in a GA airplane, so it is still a thing at least at AF bases. But agreed, I have never heard "arrival" from a civilian approach control.

We would say "contact Arrival..." back when I was in the Air Force. Though usually that was only for military aircraft actually arriving at the base, we'd use the same terminology for civilian aircraft too if they were transiting that airspace. And I have recently been asked to contact Vance Arrival in a GA airplane, so it is still a thing at least at AF bases. But agreed, I have never heard "arrival" from a civilian approach control.

Did the same in the Marines at NBC. Now it’s an “approach low” sector so they say “ contact approach” but used to be arrival and would be referred to as “arrival” on a freq change. New River still has an arrival as well.

I work at Davis Monthan. Vance you say? That explains it. ;)

I generally say departure on the first call, but not after. That said, whenever I talk to Mugu Approach out of CMA or OXR and say "departure," they respond with "Mugu Approach"

Back