Lawson Laslo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
N2005H
hi, We’re looking for a fun plane to buy to finish up my training and have fun in after
-Needs to be under 35K
- preferably painted like a military airplane or polished or just a really cool paint job
- has ramp appeal
- preferably has control stick rather than yoke, or a cool yoke like the older ercoupe
- have a fairly clean panel, and it’s just a fun plane to fly
Anything helps
Thank you so much in advanced

Im a newbie owner myself... In fact just got my tail wheel endoresement today in her so I can now fly her on my own...

Reguardless of make and model you decide, buy the best engine you can with a decent plane around it. By best I dont mean biggest, best in terms of condition, regular use with no long periods of dormancy if it wasnt pickled, parts availability , reasonable hours, etc... Your price range was a bit higher than mine even, but in the lower end of purchase price an overhaul is often close to, if not more than the entire value of our plane even in show condition... Shop engine, engine, engine...

Now I must tell you I couldnt be happier with my Cessna 140... tailwheel is awesome to learn, most fun Ive had flying yet... They have a great reputation, an absolute family aspect to ownership with the 120/140 folks, in terms of planes very reasonably priced. Though one must not be flippant buying a vintage bird they arent known for as many hidden gremlins as some others, though there are concern areas just like any make and model that warrant extra pre buy attention. She drinks 5 gal an hour... they have ramp appeal- they are a vintage tailwheel for God's sake! Both of my seasoned instructors for TW were very impressed with how nice she flies... certainly not the only good plane out there by any means but not a bad one to put on the list...

I've decided to hold off on buying a plane until I'm sure what I'll want. For instance, do I eventually want to do some limited (or more) aerobatics in it? High wing or low wing? Basic avionics or better? I think I'll find out all those through the course of my (re)training. Might make sense to wait awhile and get some flying time in before dropping a bundle.

Rent a lot of planes, see what you like and don't, and you'll probably get a plane much more to your liking.

F5C3BBA9-6157-4674-A2A5-A61B1263F364.jpeg 2A54B216-B4E7-4719-853F-C83E536807B0.jpeg I have a award winning Cessna 140 I am thinking about selling. You won’t find a nicer one. O-200 100HP powered. It’s $42,000.... A little above the $35,000 you want to spend but it needs nothing.

I owned an L2m for several years...it was a blast to fly, and meets all the OPs requirements. It does require hand propping though, and gets nowhere fast...if the OP is good with that, I highly recommend one. It, along with the other military "L" models of WWII, are about the cheapest war planes to own/fly.

I owned an L2m for several years...it was a blast to fly, and meets all the OPs requirements. It does require hand propping though, and gets no where fast...if the OP is good with that, I highly recommend one. It, along with the other military "L" models of WWII, are about the cheapest war planes to own/fly.
Do you think that you could add electric start to one, are there no lights on it either

Do you think that you could add electric start to one, are there no lights on it either
If it is original, no lights. I think it requires an engine swap for an electric start...I personally don't find hand propping an issue at all, but if you do, rule out planes with the A65 engine (I don't believe the A65 in any model ever had a starter, but I'm no expert).

If it is original, no lights. I think it requires an engine swap for an electric start...I personally don't find hand propping an issue at all, but if you do, rule out planes with the A65 engine (I don't believe the A65 in any model ever had a starter, but I'm no expert).
Do you find it dangerous at all?
How hard would it be to add lights?
Since there’s no electrical how will it become Adsb compliant?

Do you find it dangerous at all?
How hard would it be to add lights?
Since there’s no electrical how will it become Adsb compliant?
No.
Hard.
It won't.

There are ways to get around not being able to add lights and ads-b (such as a battery and wind generator) but these things = $$$.

Kinda fits the bill.

https://www.barnstormers.com/classified_1434327_Cessna+120.html
watermark.jpg

Hand propping is easy and actually rather enjoyable. If it has no electrical it's exempt from any ADS-B requirement.

With what you're looking for an experimental may do it for you.

Many homebuilders choose a pseudo military paint job. Some of the Grumman Yankees were offered with a camo paint scheme. I've also seen Globe Swifts with military paint jobs.

If you want to build hours, don't get polished aluminum.
You will spend all your time polishing the aluminum and very little time flying.

I do agree...and wouldn't have mentioned it had he not done so.

But it was part of my 'if you want to look great' comment. All that buffing, will make you buffer.

(Just don't do it all with one hand, or people may start suspecting other things).

...I have a award winning Cessna 140 I am thinking about selling. You won’t find a nicer one. O-200 100HP powered. It’s $42,000.... A little above the $35,000 you want to spend but it needs nothing.

Beautiful 140!!

But you can't fool us. We know if you sell it you're most likely to squander the money on another airplane. ;)

Beautiful 140!!

But you can't fool us. We know if you sell it you're most likely to squander the money on another airplane. ;)

I’m trying to cut back. It’s a hard life exercising and cleaning 7 airplanes.

I thought i was interested in a polished bird and the gent that mentored me with buying talked me out of it...after buying I decided I'd get her polished hubcaps, and only ones whose shape I like came machined aluminum. Well after turning those hubcaps into mirrors, Im glad my bird has a paint job... maybe when I retire or strike it rich and can pay for her polishing I would, but until then ill sport my basic airplane white paint sheme gladly...

Back