Keep hand on the throttle during takeoff??

Same is true for landing. Usually on base and final your hand should be right there to make SMALL adjustments as needed.

Are you flying with a quadrant or the push-pull style? With quadrant you can comfortably rest your right hand with thumb on one side and (usually) 4 fingers on the other. You'll feel the lever move, if it does so on it's own. With push/pulls I rest my right pointer finger on the throttle shaft. In neither case do I actually grip or hold the knob. I think my CFI referred to this as "covering" the throttle.

(not doing this in some fashion should result in a swift wack on the wrist with the plotter :))

100% on this. Plus, chics dig pilots who can take off, fly around, AND land one-handed!

I was taught that you remove your hand when you turn the electric fuel pump off which is 1,000 AGL.
'
fuel pump use can be model specific, there is no standard way, tho lotsa typical cessna stuff

I fly a quadrant throttle, it's a piper archer.

Annnnndddd…

On Piper quadrants.....

You have also learned to hold your hand BEHIND the throttle lever when holding it forward?

Never hold the throttle knob (bar? ) A hard "bump" can cause your hand to yank the throttle to idle...

Don't ask...

Cap

Nobody has yet mentioned the other reason.

If your hand is on the throttle the examiner will be less likely to pull it and "fail" your engine.

Well, on the T-41B, I need to move hand from throttle to mixture to adjust fuel flow for altitude based on the placard. Then back to guarding the throttle, then back to mixture for cruise climb adjustment. Oh, and on that soft field takeoff, move to retract flaps, and I need to hold the switch, no preselect and it does not lock to the up position. Oh, and again to change radio from tower to departure.

You have also learned to hold your hand BEHIND the throttle lever when holding it forward?

Never hold the throttle knob (bar? ) A hard "bump" can cause your hand to yank the throttle to idle...

Heh, never had that happen to be but in the DA40 for some weird reason moving the knobs seems less comfortable to me than using the center or base of the levers (prop lever excepted because it's in the middle).

Nobody has yet mentioned the other reason.

If your hand is on the throttle the examiner will be less likely to pull it and "fail" your engine.
On my ME check, the DPE commented that I would need to remove my hand at some time.

On my ME check, the DPE commented that I would need to remove my hand at some time.
Surprised he didn't point out that you don't have enough hands to cover the yoke, throttles, and fuel selector valves all at the same time. :D

On my checkride, I was covering the throttle and the DPE told me, "Your engine failed, go to idle." Kinda like being made to dig your own grave....

I always thought the reason for the hand on the throttle was that if you didn't, the examiner would pull the power on you...

It just feels right too, and for good reason.

In learning TW i had one take off i overcorrected twice very early on but scooting a bit still, before i took chance of overcorrecting again and looping her, i yanked her back to idle immediately because my hand was right there to do it. The only thing hurt was pride, so all was well. But it became a non incident because my hand didnt have to hunt or hesitate...

All the above reasons are correct. In addition, when you get further in training it prevents the CFI from surreptitiously “failing” your engine. :)
That's what the mixture knob is for. ;)

What about in a twin when you are committed to the takeoff? I see many pilots take their hand off the throttles and put on yoke.

There's no difference between a single and a twin in this respect. My hand remains on the throttles on TO until I have positive climb confirmed and have to remove it momentarily for the gear handle.

There's no difference between a single and a twin in this respect. My hand remains on the throttles on TO until I have positive climb confirmed and have to remove it momentarily for the gear handle.
Yup. The only time a hand comes off the throttle (thrust levers) during takeoff roll is when flying a part 25 airplane with a published V1.

I had one time the throttle creep back on a take off. While climbing, I was thinking "why is it so sluggish this time?" then I punched the throttle in and suddenly the plane came alive. Never took my hand off the throttle during the take off from that day forward.

I had one time the throttle creep back on a take off. While climbing, I was thinking "why is it so sluggish this time?" then I punched the throttle in and suddenly the plane came alive. Never took my hand off the throttle during the take off from that day forward.

Hope you had an A&P look at it, too.

Had a student forget to switch tanks on a C-120 last week as we entered the pattern. On take off after a touch and go the engine quit at 50 feet due to fuel starvation. (I was just about to simulate it, since I didn’t want to continue the take off). The 1st thing I did was pull the throttle back to idle to insure we we could land straight ahead on the remaining runway.

I think we often forget to teach in an power failure situation once we are committed to landing we need to pull the throttle idle.

The 1st time I had and engine quit it was on downwind and I made a fairly normal approach to the runway on short final the engine came back at cruise power since the throttle was not pulled to idle. What went from a normal approach ended up using the whole runway.

Another time, taking off from a short runway with an experienced pilot, he removed his hand from the throttle to manipulate the flaps using some supposeably advanced short field techniques. He mostly kept his hand on the flap switch, Not being familiar with his technique I was carefully watching his airspeed to make sure he did not get to slow. As a result we both noticed the plane did not seem to be climbing as we expected after takeoff, causing me to watch the airspeed even closer, but neither one of us noticed that the throttle was creeping out until we had cleared the obstacles at a lower altitude than either one of us liked. If we had just done a normal short field take off and kept a hand on the throttle it would have gone a lot better.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Another time, taking off from a short runway with an experienced pilot, he removed his hand from the throttle to manipulate the flaps using some supposeably advanced short field techniques. He mostly kept his hand on the flap switch, Not being familiar with his technique I was carefully watching his airspeed to make sure he did not get to slow.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Was this an a piper product?

I have flown out of a small grass field on many occasions where you use a technique that is similar to what you are describing. The difference being is my thumb always went back to the throttle after manipulating the flaps.

Annnnndddd…

On Piper quadrants.....

Don't ask...

Cap

Old thread, and all, but it’s a good solution, pushing on the throttle. I had been thinking that in a C172 and some others the instances where the seat guide broke and seat slid back during takeoff. That a persons instinct would probably be to hang on to the throttle and then you are not in ideal position AND you just went to idle.

It’s now been years since I last flew and am looking forward to continuing in not too long. So of course my mind goes to things like this when I ought to be reviewing the basics.

This is why you should be flying behind a Rotax. Typically the throttles are sprung open so that in the event of a failure you have power. So, any throttle creep opens the throttle instead of closing it.

:lol:

Old thread, and all, but it’s a good solution, pushing on the throttle. I had been thinking that in a C172 and some others the instances where the seat guide broke and seat slid back during takeoff. That a persons instinct would probably be to hang on to the throttle and then you are not in ideal position AND you just went to idle.

It’s now been years since I last flew and am looking forward to continuing in not too long. So of course my mind goes to things like this when I ought to be reviewing the basics.

Bob! You’re still alive! Where ya been, man? Long time no posts.

Annnnndddd…

On Piper quadrants.....

Don't ask...

Cap

I wrap my fingers under the quadrant and hold the T-bar throttle lever with my thumb.

What about in a twin when you are committed to the takeoff? I see many pilots take their hand off the throttles and put on yoke.
Well, when you are committed you have to move the gear. That moment, okay. But otherwise, it's a FAIL. The ship should be properly already trimmed for Vy for when at 100% power.

Bob! You’re still alive! Where ya been, man? Long time no posts.
Hey, been experiencing something like long Covid, but without the Covid. Coming out of it now and really want to start up again. wrong season, but I’m hoping to start up when the weather gets a little better.

Hey, been experiencing something like long Covid, but without the Covid. Coming out of it now and really want to start up again. wrong season, but I’m hoping to start up when the weather gets a little better.

Glad to see you back and feeling better. Yeah, "wrong season" doesn't surprise me for Nov & Dec in Norway. Have you considered a warmer climate? :biggrin:

You've been away from POA for a while, so you'll have some catching up to do. Since you went away, the leaded fuel issue has been solved by everyone getting rid of their Lycomings and Continentals in favor of new electric motors, flying automobiles are everywhere, the POTUS is now an artificially-intelligent iPad, and the new pope is Presbyterian.

Welcome back!

Glad to see you back and feeling better. Yeah, "wrong season" doesn't surprise me for Nov & Dec in Norway. Have you considered a warmer climate? :biggrin:

You've been away from POA for a while, so you'll have some catching up to do. Since you went away, the leaded fuel issue has been solved by everyone getting rid of their Lycomings and Continentals in favor of new electric motors, flying automobiles are everywhere, the POTUS is now an artificially-intelligent iPad, and the new pope is Presbyterian.

Welcome back!
Wow….I DID miss a lot! Thanks for the welcome back!

Plan is dual instruction, don’t have a current medical but hopefully… and also I’m going to have to take the written again sometime in there. But first things first. Need to see where I am at, how I do, specially on focus and see if I have to build up against queasiness again or not.

But I’m optimistic. Have definitely considered a warmer climate, but my Norwegian wife isn’t having it.

Thanks again for the welcome back!

could even say hot women…but none of them are my wife so.
just realized, specifying “my Norwegian wife” makes it seem like I might have other nationality wives.

You don’t?

We all assumed there was your Norwegian wife, your French wife, your Peruvian wife, your Mongolian wife, and so on. A rather expensive hobby, it would seem.

Back