I suspect Dr. B is going to give you the bad news. It's going to take a lot more than the FAA just mulling over your paperwork. You're going to have to show HIMS evaluation, demonstrated sobriety, participation in the AA hokum, etc.... Once issued, if you maintain it you can renew in the AME office each time. He still has to submit all that documentation for the FAA, but barring you doing something wrong, you don't have to wait on it.

I'm confused. Were you issued a 2nd class with a special issuance letter? If so, what were the provisions of the SI?

I'm confused. Were you issued a 2nd class with a special issuance letter? If so, what were the provisions of the SI?

Just a standard Second Class Medical. Was not an SI, so no extra provisions. The letter with the certification just stated: "Our review of your medical records has established that you are eligible for a second-class medical certificate"

After that, there were some canned statements that if I had had a substance abuse related issue or if I suffered from sleep apnea again I needed to report it and it might cause the need for re-evaluation or a denial.

Based on facts in evidence above, something is definitely odd.

Strongly suggested that you cease communications here (to protect yourself) and go directly to a HIMS AME with Senior status to boot. Something has gotten very fouled around the propeller and you need to be consulting directly with the right AME who can (and is willing) to unfowl it.

Based on facts in evidence above, something is definitely odd.

Strongly suggested that you cease communications here (to protect yourself) and go directly to a HIMS AME with Senior status to boot. Something has gotten very fouled around the propeller and you need to be consulting directly with the right AME who can (and is willing) to unfowl it.

Thanks for the help. I felt something was not quite right as well but I thought maybe I missed something. I wanted to see if there was an obvious answer that I had missed. I will get with my AME on Monday and see what is going on.

Would they have only given the OP a second class because the process took longer than 6 months from the exam date?

the worst that can happen is the agency demands a current “current status letter” from your doc.....

I agree. Apply for a 1st class and see what they require. It will likely be deferred by your AME ( i would).

Given the massive backlog of the shutdown, if you really wanted to insure an office issuance, and it was > 3 years ago for the surgery, I'd get a NEGATIVE sleep study. That one we could issue in the office, bypassing the Nancy/Donald/Mitch and Chuck show.

A lot of guys are preloading in order to get through.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back