How worth it is Oshkosh??

Michael A

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Michael A
Ok so heres the dilemma. I am a senior in high school, have my ppl and soon to be IR. I have already been planning to do Oshkosh, and have really been looking forward to it. The current plan (i know its far away but still) was to go with my old instructor and some of his friends. Yet I have something that if I do, I will miss all of Oshkosh (accelerated EMT training program instead of the typical 6 month long course for any curious). So is it worth me skipping oshkosh for a year and doing this instead? My other question is how fun is oshkosh if you attend alone? I'm concerned about missing out on this for oshkosh and having my plans with my instructor fall through (they might) and then be alone (also dont have any flying buddies). Thanks for any help!!

Do your career thing first. Oshkosh, while it does change year to year, it is mostly the same. So what you miss this year more than likely will be there next.

As to going solo, IDK ive been twice and both times with friends. Going alone could be fun as you will meet up with peeps from this board and run into other like minded people.

I've never been, and hoping to hop around the pond to go one of these years, this year work/family-wise I gotta decide either Oshkosh or the 120/140 convention, both would be firsts. But on going alone, I don't think that is possible, even not ever going before. You may fly there solo, but how could you ever be alone around thousand of folks crazy about aviation?

BTW on your conundrum: Career First, this flying thing ain't the cheapest hobby!

Yeah, your career is much more important than attending Oshkosh—get the training completed and then you can party.

As for attending solo... how fun is it to go to an amusement park by yourself??

You won't be alone. Many 'interesting' people from here go to Osh routinely. You can put faces to names, go to a couple of known beer parties, etc.

Do it next year... You won't miss much and you can see much of it streaming online. It's still not the same but....I don't go every year. Best I do is every couple years.

Yeah, your career is much more important than attending Oshkosh—get the training completed and then you can party.

Thanks for the help everyone! Its funnt i really expected quite the opposite reaction on this forum to oppose my families but I guess they are right after all. Catch you in 2020 Oshkosh :)

Thanks for the help everyone! Its funnt i really expected quite the opposite reaction on this forum to oppose my families but I guess they are right after all. Catch you in 2020 Oshkosh :)
Just for the sake of conversation, if we had told you what you wanted to hear, would you have really gone back to your parents and said “but the guys on POA said that I should!” (?)

Just for the sake of conversation, if we had told you what you wanted to hear, would you have really gone back to your parents and said “but the guys on POA said that I should!” (?)

Haha i mean to be fair my family isnt making me its just that they thought i was crazy for considering not doing this accelerated program in the summer while i was free instead of during the school year over the span of months.

Yet I have something that if I do, I will miss all of Oshkosh (accelerated EMT training program instead of the typical 6 month long course for any curious). So is it worth me skipping oshkosh for a year and doing this instead?

Not for me... But for you, it probably is. ;) Oshkosh will be there in 2020. And, as others have pointed out, this flying thing is expensive. Anything that helps you make more flying money is probably worth it.

My other question is how fun is oshkosh if you attend alone? I'm concerned about missing out on this for oshkosh and having my plans with my instructor fall through (they might) and then be alone (also dont have any flying buddies). Thanks for any help!!

Totally not the same thing. Amusement parks are full of strangers. Oshkosh is full of old friends, new friends, and friends you haven't met yet.

I think @DavidWhite has gone solo, but of course he knew plenty of us! There are also plenty of stories out there of people going alone for the first time, meeting people who end up camping next to them, and becoming lifelong friends (and OSH neighbors!).

It's a special place.

Go to Oshkosh. Screw your career. This is the last year for Airventure. If you don’t go this year, you’ll regret it for the rest of your life. You can always start a career later. Walmart is always hiring. How is this even a question? Are you sure you’re even a pilot? Argh!

:rofl:

I've been there three times. Get your training finished.

I was a pilot for twelve years before I hit my first Oshkosh. If you want to go, go. It's not rocket science. Any number of ways to get there. My first trip I just asked on the old CompuServe aviation forums if anybody could give me a ride. Got three offers. Ended up going with Paul Bertorelli.

Haha i mean to be fair my family isnt making me its just that they thought i was crazy for considering not doing this accelerated program in the summer while i was free instead of during the school year over the span of months.
I agree with your family.

Go to Oshkosh. Screw your career. This is the last year for Airventure. If you don’t go this year, you’ll regret it for the rest of your life.
Well, you almost got it right. We all know last year was the last year. Had to pull the plug due to the Canadians this year, and I don't see that Canadian border wall getting funded anytime soon. :(

Yeah, the main career takes priority. Questions, How far away are you? Is one day an option?

How about Sun & Fun in FL this Spring? It’s kinda a mini Oshkosh.

@sourdough44 if you could only attend one or the other, which would you recommend? I haven't been to either but would like to attend one of them this year.

As others have said, get your EMT training done first because it will come in handy when you're at OSH and some old drunk f*** comes stumbling through your camp in the middle of the night, trips on your lawn chair, and impales himself on a tent pole.

As others have said, get your EMT training done first because it will come in handy when you're at OSH and some old drunk f*** comes stumbling through your camp in the middle of the night, trips on your lawn chair, and impales himself on a tent pole.

You forgot about the drunk guy peeing on your tent before falling through. I don't care if it's a "stranger" or a "friend" I don't want some drunk guy ****ing on my tent.

I’ve only been to Sun & Fun once, at the time I lived in MS, so not to far. I think about getting back, but for me now, Oshkosh is just up the road(or GPS direct).

I may be biased but I rate Oshkosh higher(bigger may be better), but one has to factor in your schedule, location, and what’s possible.

If I wanted to see Oshkosh, but couldn’t, and lived near the SE, I’d try to hit Lakeland.

I often fly in & out the same day, so I don’t get the opportunity to stumble around drunk after dark.

Ok so heres the dilemma. I am a senior in high school, have my ppl and soon to be IR. I have already been planning to do Oshkosh, and have really been looking forward to it. The current plan (i know its far away but still) was to go with my old instructor and some of his friends. Yet I have something that if I do, I will miss all of Oshkosh (accelerated EMT training program instead of the typical 6 month long course for any curious). So is it worth me skipping oshkosh for a year and doing this instead? My other question is how fun is oshkosh if you attend alone? I'm concerned about missing out on this for oshkosh and having my plans with my instructor fall through (they might) and then be alone (also dont have any flying buddies). Thanks for any help!!

Since I usually am able to attend only for two or three days max, I prefer to do it solo, that way I can explore freely without having to accommodate different people's interests.

And when he does, you can say "******mit Tim, you need to get yourself some new glasses! Here, have a beer." :rofl:

Now if it was a girl you were going to throw away your future for..................... :) :) :)

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and negotiating the movie rights. WELL worth it and I've never regretted it, never will to the end of my days.

Jim
I wouldn’t encourage underage drinking.

;)
Oh, come ON. In some states the legal age for beer is 18, so the kid will be perfectly legal I believe in Wisconsin.

And in other states you are a college senior before you get a beer and all the girls are virgins until they get married?

You are from what century?

Jim

I prefer to attend alone. I went solo last year and just met up with people ad hoc and it was so much fun.

If you've ever been in line at the supermarket, in the self-checkout, where the available terminals were all in use by some very confused looking octogenarians who keep hitting the wrong button and needing attendant help to weigh their broccoli..

..Osh is just like that, but replace the self-check kiosk with a Garmin, Dynon, or Avidyne booth. And replace the 4 lost old souls with tens of thousands, 50% of whom you can see their nipples through their threadbare and faded T-shirts. There are also a few dozen bored-looking females, all of whom can remember a time when they didn't have the right to vote. For compensation, you have thousands of planes to ogle, with tens of them worth ogling with real unique history, story, or owner tales. The museum is pretty good. Also it's 95 degrees out and humid as balls, unless it thunderstorms, then it will be 95 out and soggy as balls, before reverting back to humid. You can watch an air show every day and have some 13 year old civil air patrol twerp on a scooter squeak at you in a most officious tone to keep behind the burn line. You paid $40/day to be there. On purpose.

You gotta do it once. Doesn't have to be this time, though. But it's something of a pilgrimage.

As on old EMT instructor,and a pilot. I would have to say do your EMT course,if that’s your plan for employment. I try to do OSH every other year,so OSH will be there next year.

Oh, come ON. In some states the legal age for beer is 18, so the kid will be perfectly legal I believe in Wisconsin.

And in other states you are a college senior before you get a beer and all the girls are virgins until they get married?

I take it you missed the ‘;)’ ?

It was a joke dude.

Nope. Drinking is drinking, and our drinking age is 21, despite the Tavern League being one of the most powerful forces in our state's government.

And, I don't think any states have any drinking under 21 any more, even just beer, because they have to forego federal highway funding if their drinking age is less than 21. Been that way since 1986. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._history_of_alcohol_minimum_purchase_age_by_state

Careful, you seem to be from the century where 18-year-olds could drink in the US. ;)

..Osh is just like that, but replace the self-check kiosk with a Garmin, Dynon, or Avidyne booth. And replace the 4 lost old souls with tens of thousands, 50% of whom you can see their nipples through their threadbare and faded T-shirts. There are also a few dozen bored-looking females, all of whom can remember a time when they didn't have the right to vote.

Wow. Maybe you should stop hanging out in Vintage. ;) Or come again...

FWIW, my first Oshkosh was in 1987, when I had just turned 13. I have several enduring memories of that show, one of which was an old guy - OK, he was pretty much a fossil - Complaining that "REAL airplanes want to fly, but these dang nosewheel things, you've gotta PULL 'em off the ground!" And I don't remember any pretty teenage girls.

But, these days there are a lot more women at Oshkosh, and not the fossilized variety. Some are pilots, some are wives/girlfriends, but Oshkosh is quite family-friendly these days.

There's also plenty of young people. It's not a Taylor Swift concert by any means, but IMO it's not at all as you describe.

Back