Airlines to Start Announcing Passengers That Are Also Pilots

Good idea if you get an extra room seat.

I was on a Jet Blue flight and used the time to study my Gliem book (big red book, so, not subtle). The landing was one of the worst big iron landings I’ve ever experienced-hit sideways, bounced, hit sideways the other way, then landed firmly. One of the passengers in my row said “Maybe they should have let you do it.”

OK - flying back and forth from DTW to DCA, I brought a couple sectionals along to pass the time. The guy I was traveling with (who happens to be from the middle east, which makes getting through TSA a little more fun) saw me pull them out...
"WTF!!! Are you CRAZY? Put those away!!! What if they see you!!!!"

I get into a lot of conversations with passengers because I'm often either following along with my EFB or watching an instructional video. They seem very interested. Sometimes they ask me operational questions I have no idea the answer to, so I make one up (a bit like I do here :D)

The best thing about aviationdailynews is the number of people treating the "aviation Onion" stories as real. Funnier is when they get p'd when they find out.

That’s fricken hilarious.

Aviation Daily: “So do you plan on going to work on the airlines at some point?”

Kyle: “Oh hell no… and be some glorified bus driver hauling the unwashed masses around? Not in a million years.”

We’re they interviewing hindsight?! I kid I kid.

I save all my AOPA magazines for commercial flights. as soon as I get one in the mail I stuff it right into my carry on luggage so I can read it on my next flight. then when I'm on the flight, I'll leave the magazines on the plane stuffed in between the standard magazine offerings. I don't know what that has to do with the OP, but that's my story. maybe someone on the next flight sees an article about learning to fly and questions if the magazine belonged to their captain.

I like to review my crash scene and wreckage inspection photos when I fly.

I like to say I used to work for the manufacturer of the engines on the plane (which is true in most cases for the RJs I'm typically on) and then go "Huh, never heard an engine make that sound before..."

I get into a lot of conversations with passengers because I'm often either following along with my EFB or watching an instructional video. They seem very interested. Sometimes they ask me operational questions I have no idea the answer to, so I make one up (a bit like I do here :D)

The best thing about aviationdailynews is the number of people treating the "aviation Onion" stories as real. Funnier is when they get p'd when they find out.

I watched a thread spin out of control about how spoiled Kyle is because his parents paid for his flight training and how this program is going to tip the terrorists off about who on board are pilots.
How can someone think it is real. Its fun to watch the threads but I feel bad for the people falling for it when it is quite clearly satire.

I watched a thread spin out of control about how spoiled Kyle is because his parents paid for his flight training and how this program is going to tip the terrorists off about who on board are pilots.
How can someone think it is real. Its fun to watch the threads but I feel bad for the people falling for it when it is quite clearly satire.
omg-omg-oh-my-god-shock-smiley-emot.gif~c200

This thread seems to confirm the saying, "How do you tell a pilot? You don't, he will tell you!"

Granted instead of pilot swag, I usually wear my firefighter swag when flying commercial. More than once its gotten us upgraded to the exit row.

OK - flying back and forth from DTW to DCA, I brought a couple sectionals along to pass the time. The guy I was traveling with (who happens to be from the middle east, which makes getting through TSA a little more fun) saw me pull them out...
"WTF!!! Are you CRAZY? Put those away!!! What if they see you!!!!"

He really would have had kittens if he had seen me on a flight back when I was a student pilot. Planning a cross country flight, complete with sectional, E-6B, etc. :D

I like to wring my hands, rock back and forth, and repeat “oh God”. When someone smugly asks if I’m afraid of flying, I reply “not normally. I am the mechanic that just got done fixing this plane, and they told me I had to take the first post maintenance flight”.

Hahaha read this in a middle of a meeting and laughed out loud.

The fact that anyone actually falls for what is so obviously satire on sites such as this fully illustrates how easy then it is for various other media sites to get people to believe the utter nonsense that they do. So many gullible idiots.

Q: You're in a room with 100 other people, one of them is a pilot. What is the best way to figure out which one of them is the pilot?
A: Just stand there, he'll tell you.

Q: You're in a room with 100 other people, one of them is a pilot. What is the best way to figure out which one of them is the pilot?
A: Just stand there, he'll tell you.
Never ask a man if he is a pilot.

If he is, he will be letting you know soon enough.
If he isn't, ain't no reason to go embarrassing him like that.

It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether.

The fact that anyone actually falls for what is so obviously satire on sites such as this fully illustrates how easy then it is for various other media sites to get people to believe the utter nonsense that they do. So many gullible idiots.

Did you read the first line of the OP's post? We all knew it was satire from the start.

Did you read the first line of the OP's post? We all knew it was satire from the start.

:rolleyes:
Well, that's nice but I was referring to the following which made it sound like some people somewhere were taking it seriously.

But thank you for attempting to set me straight. :D

Never ask a man if he is a pilot.

If he is, he will be letting you know soon enough.
If he isn't, ain't no reason to go embarrassing him like that.

The actual quote is:
"Son, never ask a man if he is a fighter pilot. If he is, he'll let you know. If he isn't, don't embarrass him."
Col. Don Conroy, USMC (who the astute will recognize was the father of The Great Santini author, Pat Conroy, and about whom the book's protagonist Bull Meecham was modeled).

A version of this saying was also in "Flight of the Intruder".

Last edited:
I save all my AOPA magazines for commercial flights. as soon as I get one in the mail I stuff it right into my carry on luggage so I can read it on my next flight. then when I'm on the flight, I'll leave the magazines on the plane stuffed in between the standard magazine offerings. I don't know what that has to do with the OP, but that's my story. maybe someone on the next flight sees an article about learning to fly and questions if the magazine belonged to their captain.
I do that with both Sport Aviation and American Rifleman. I figure there's a chance someone else will enjoy it too.

I save all my AOPA magazines for commercial flights. as soon as I get one in the mail I stuff it right into my carry on luggage so I can read it on my next flight. then when I'm on the flight, I'll leave the magazines on the plane stuffed in between the standard magazine offerings. I don't know what that has to do with the OP, but that's my story.

I do the same, but know they probably all just end up in the trash.

I feel like this belongs here.

There are a lot of folks with no sense of humor. We have our fair share of them on here :)

Personalities as dull as a butter knife

For a while, I always brought Plane Crash Monthly (well, the NTSB Reporter magazine) with me on flights.

Why would it be any different than the hundreds of thousands of other electronics that go through security?

Just not something your average TSA agent would have seen before...

TSA: “what is this?”

YOU: “It’s a thing I use in my plane for ADSB-in so I can see traffic and weather and even “synthetic vision.”

TSA: “Riiiight. Step out of the line, sir. JOE, come come over here and check this sht out!”

Back