Student Pilot License held up because of Government shutdown?

maj75

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Mark
Trying to get into the air and start my training. My instructor and I signed onto IACRA and completer the application. IACRA says my application status is “complete.” But is says I don’t have “any certificates in Airman’s.” He said a student pilot certificate was issued almost immediately for a US Citizen. Tried calling and got voicemail saying office was closed. He says the government shutdown may be impacting the approval process....Checked several hours later and still nothing.

Any other ideas?

You don’t need it to train, only for solo.

Remember that discussion about the effects of the shutdown as it applies to aviation is allowed. Discussion about what parties are at fault is not. We are serious about this.

The club wants the Student Pilot Certificate before I can use their planes...

Here is the deal. You need training in the maneuvers for XC, a minimum of 3 hours XC training and the night requirements. When you solo is not important. Keep training.

Maybe have your CFI contact the FSDO or a DPE and see if issue a temporary student certificate.

Check in a couple days and see if there is a temporary certificate that you can print.
Should be under certificate type on your IACRA console.
My temporary showed up several days after my application was submitted.
Hard copy takes over 6 weeks to arrive (prior to the shutdown anyway) from what I understand.

Yeah, just keep going. THis is why 61 is awesome.

Here is the deal. You need training in the maneuvers for XC, a minimum of 3 hours XC training and the night requirements. When you solo is not important. Keep training.

Maybe have your CFI contact the FSDO or a DPE and see if issue a temporary student certificate.
I do not believe a DPE can issue a student certificate any more. It has to be through IACRA. Check online in a few days for a printable certificate.

That's because they are not up with the times and believe they are adding some value. Now a TSA check is required, so good luck.

Guessing it may be an insurance issue? It's the background check most likely.

Remember that discussion about the effects of the shutdown as it applies to aviation is allowed. Discussion about what parties are at fault is not. We are serious about this.

All I did was to say to call his congressman. I have no idea which party his congressman is a member of. And I don’t care. Cool your freakin’ jets.

FSDO will also be closed due to the shutdown. I would go with the recommendation of printing the temporary one. As long as the date on it is valid, it's as good as the green plastic.

Mine took 6-7 weeks around this time last year.

We all wanted to solo ASAP but in your case, and probably many others right now, the PPL doesn't depend on how many hours it took to solo. There are many other requirements that you'll need to meet with a CFI like cross country and night. Just move on with your dual training and when the time comes to solo, you will be that much more prepared and experienced.

It seems that the FAA is working this month, I got my aircraft registration renewal cert within a few days of renewal online.
For whatever this is worth.
Hopefully the pilot cert department is staffed as well.
Good luck!

It seems that the FAA is working this month, I got my aircraft registration renewal cert within a few days of renewal online.
For whatever this is worth.
Hopefully the pilot cert department is staffed as well.
Good luck!

I believe the registry is doing renewals and used sales but aren’t doing anything that adds new aircraft to the registry such as new sale registrations and EABs. I believe that’s what I read.

Do you know if they'll process address changes on pilot certs?

I don’t know for certain but my best guess is no. Still you should log into airman services and do the change online. As long as the electronic system is working and accepts your info, you will be fine.

You'll still need a medical, I'm not sure you can get one during the shutdown.
No you don't. I can't think of any scenario in which a person with no kind of pilot certificate needs a medical.

All I did was to say to call his congressman. I have no idea which party his congressman is a member of. And I don’t care. Cool your freakin’ jets.

68747470733a2f2f692e696d67666c69702e636f6d2f6c67646d712e6a7067

Passed my Private Checkride on 11/18 database wasn't updated before the shutdown.

No you don't. I can't think of any scenario in which a person with no kind of pilot certificate needs a medical.

I see what you’re saying. That condition only exists until a student certificate is issued, which seems to be a requirement of his club.

If you call the FSDO all you get is an answering machine that tells you to suck it. Unless it's an emergency; In that case it tells you to blow.

Seriously though the airmen certification branch is closed. If any part of the process involves action from them... Well, You know the rest.

Last edited:
You'll still need a medical, I'm not sure you can get one during the shutdown.

I got mine. Took my first class medical exam 1/3, issued at office. Then updated online a week later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a student apply for one the first week of January and he was able to print his temp one week later. Non-us citizen, too. They are apparently still processing fairly normally.

Just checked and I’ve been issued a Temporary Airman Certificate, certificate number “pending.”

I guess we were wrong about the shutdown.

I know of one.

Flying as a passenger (to do experiments) in NASA’s Vomit Comet KC135 required an FAA Third Class Medical Certificate. I did had to get one almost 20 years ago, before I got a pilot certificate, for that very reason. But OTOH, that was back then, so maybe you’re correct now, in the present tense.

They also require a medical to do the "high altitude" chamber rides. They don't care if you have a pilot certificate at all, but they adamantly won't take basic med to get you in.

As far as change of address goes, all you have to do is submit it. The regs don't require you to receive anything back from the FAA (though you can get a new certificate if you want, it's not required). The only reason for this requirement is so the FAA has an address on file to send the enforcement action paperwork to. Unlikely they're doing much of that these days either.

Back