I landed safely (Doug Barr aka coloradobluesky)

Tailwinds to our friend. Sad to hear... I will miss his contributions to our forum.

It's my understanding that ColoradoBlueSky has flown West. Tailwinds and blue skies.

coloradobluesky's name was Douglas Barr. I got to know him only briefly, over three visits with him in Colorado. I see the obituary omitted the fact he had quite the adventurous life as a pilot. His first Aviat Husky was equipped with amphibious floats. From Colorado he flew it twice to Alaska, once to Maine, and flew every summer to a favorite lake in central British Columbia, Canada for an extended fishing trip. He logged 2500 hours on that first Husky and had photo albums full of pictures of the plane and the places he had explored with it. He also did some tailwheel instructing.

Doug told me he started having "withdrawal symptoms" almost immediately after he sold his first Husky. He bought the second Husky, sight unseen, immediately after it was listed for sale (he was the first call and the seller didn't even know the advert had been published yet). He logged another 300 Husky hours on wheels in that plane.

Doug had a house full of musical instruments, and a basement well stocked with one of the more elaborate model railway sets I've seen. As with most such enthusiasts he had plans for numerous improvements and additions to the railway. And he was still playing his guitar when I saw him in July, a few weeks before he died.

I should be so fortunate to reach 68 years of age and say I lived life as well.
RIP

upload_2018-11-14_5-39-55.png

upload_2018-11-14_5-41-20.png

coloradobluesky's name was Douglas Barr. I got to know him only briefly, over three visits with him in Colorado. I see the obituary omitted the fact he had quite the adventurous life as a pilot. His first Aviat Husky was equipped with amphibious floats. From Colorado he flew it twice to Alaska, once to Maine, and flew every summer to a favorite lake in central British Columbia, Canada for an extended fishing trip. He logged 2500 hours on that first Husky and had photo albums full of pictures of the plane and the places he had explored with it. He also did some tailwheel instructing.

Doug told me he started having "withdrawal symptoms" almost immediately after he sold his first Husky. He bought the second Husky, sight unseen, immediately after it was listed for sale (he was the first call and the seller didn't even know the advert had been published yet). He logged another 300 Husky hours on wheels in that plane.

Doug had a house full of musical instruments, and a basement well stocked with one of the more elaborate model railway sets I've seen. As with most such enthusiasts he had plans for numerous improvements and additions to the railway. And he was still playing his guitar when I saw him in July, a few weeks before he died.

RIP

View attachment 69097

View attachment 69098
Thanks for sharing that. I am curious though, his last log in date was Aug 12th but the obit shows he passed on the 7th. Just something I noticed.

Thanks for sharing that. I am curious though, his last log in date was Aug 12th but the obit shows he passed on the 7th. Just something I noticed.

I'm not sure how the site tracks "activity". His last post was July 23.

My guess is that a relative just checked his computer or mobile device which had a tab open for POA

RIP

View attachment 69097

View attachment 69098
Wow he died so young. It sounds like he lived a fun life. RIP

Sounds like a true Renaissance Man. We should all aspire to such a full life.

+1. This thread really got to me and will probably stick in my mind for a long time. YOLO.

RIP.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Noticed that his avatar-thingy for posts now has a "Gone West" ribbon on it. That's nice.
RIP.
Thanks for posting all that extra info. Helps to remind us how human we all are.

I just now saw the “gone west” after going back to one of my old posts. Sad to hear. I guess so missed it.

Do we have a place on POA where we can memorialize members “gone west”?

I just now saw the “gone west” after going back to one of my old posts. Sad to hear. I guess so missed it.

Do we have a place on POA where we can memorialize members “gone west”?

Other than a note on their avitar, I don’t think so but it gives me an idea. Stand by.

Now Doug and Robin can hangar fly together about their Husky. :(
@coloradobluesky @GRG55
RIP and blue skies to both of them.

Your reminder that Robin bought the Husky was bittersweet today.

I always though that was a solid nice thing he did considering families often have a hard time figuring out how to sell someone’s airplane after they’re gone.

Or get descended upon by buyers seeking unreasonable deals, etc.

Since this popped up, something I did want to mention. Melanocytes are the cells in your skin that give it color. When you get tan, that's melanocytes protecting you against UV from the sun. Melanocytes get hit with UV all the time, so they're really hard to kill. The tumors stye make are equally hard to kill, and are not to be trifled with. If you see irregular blotched areas on your skin do not hesitate to call your Dr. Don't schedule an appointment next month, get it taken care of stat. Melanoma is dangerous.

Last edited:
Back