F-35 preps for first air show season

My son lives within the Class D of Luke AFB, and got treated to an impromptu airshow by an F-35 just a few days ago. He texted, "There was one hovering basically vertical for about 30 seconds and then it went straight up."

My son lives within the Class D of Luke AFB, and got treated to an impromptu airshow by an F-35 just a few days ago. He texted, "There was one hovering basically vertical for about 30 seconds and then it went straight up."

I think that’s about the only “useful” thing VTOL is good for. I remember talking with Jack Krings, former head of OT&E at Fort Fumble. He allowed as how the AV-8 had never ever taken off vertically with a full combat load. STOVL, sure but VTOL, meh.

Cheers

I obviously know nothing about it, but from the looks of that I think I'd want a third hand, to rest on the ejection handle at all times.

I obviously know nothing about it, but from the looks of that I think I'd want a third hand, to rest on the ejection handle at all times.

I was once told by a Former Marine AV-8 Pilot, “There are two types of AV-8 pilots, those who have ejected and those who will.”

Cheers

I think that’s about the only “useful” thing VTOL is good for. I remember talking with Jack Krings, former head of OT&E at Fort Fumble. He allowed as how the AV-8 had never ever taken off vertically with a full combat load. STOVL, sure but VTOL, meh.

Cheers
You are forgiven if you have no VTOL exposure. I'm pretty sure that the observer saw an F-35A (USAF variant) at Luke AFB. The nearest USMC F-35B VTOL was likely hundreds of miles away. I'm betting that he saw an F-35A at reduced power and high angle of attack. I admit that I'm no F-35 expert. However, the joint service F-35 training squadron is 50 miles from my front door at Eglin AFB and word does get around.

If you design a VTOL to only be used as a VTOL, you are throwing away the very useful STOL ability. Note my avatar. Its the Bell 609, then the Bell Agusta 609,then the Agusta Bell 609 and now the Agusta Westland 609. Someone photo shopped it in Bristow colors over Houston. When I was a Bristow Captain, we placed deposits on a pair of these. Specs have been more or less the same over the years. You can top it off, load it with people and make a running takeoff from about any runway, fly 750 miles at 250 KTS. Then make a VTOL arrival to a ship at sea. Then load up passengers for the trip back to Houston. Without refueling.

Some good 360 footage.

But can’t it do the “Harrier bow” to the audience?

Back