25 years ago today - A whole lotta shakin' goin' on

Pilawt

Final Approach
Santa Rosita State Park, under the big 'W'
Display Name

Display name:
Pilawt
It was 25 years ago today, January 17, 1994, at 4:31 AM. I awakened to the sound of my wife yelling, "Break his door down, if you have to!" (addressed to our son down the hall, referencing his younger brother in the next room). I also had a sensation of violent motion, akin to what a pair of sneakers would feel in a tumble dryer. About that time there was the sound of the grandfather clock falling against our bedroom door, and other background sounds of things breaking.

It was the magnitude 6.7 Northridge Earthquake, epicentered three miles from us.

We gathered ourselves together and exited the house through the bedroom glass slider to the patio. It was a brilliantly-clear pre-dawn; warm for mid-January, with a mild "Santa Ana" wind (the warm, dry wind that flows from the desert through passes and canyons into the Los Angeles coastal area in winter months) in progress. But the patio was wet -- from water that had sloshed out of the swimming pool. And the ground was still shaking.

It was the most spectacular night sky we'd ever seen in Los Angeles, because all city lights had been knocked out in the quake. We could see a small brush fire on the brushy hill north of us (likely a downed power line), and a glow in the northeast, from the gas main explosion on Balboa Boulevard in Granada Hills that took out an entire block of homes. It was bizarre. It seemed like Armageddon.

We greeted the sunrise with neighbors on our front lawns and in the street, making sure everyone was okay and waiting for enough daylight to go back into our homes to see what was left.

We were relatively fortunate. Structural damage was limited to the brick chimney and slumpstone property-line walls, all of which had to be replaced. Lots of knick-knacks in the house were broken. Because of the lateral motion of the quake, things that were on east or west walls fell, and things on north-south walls generally stayed put.

Some neighbors were not so fortunate. In the house immediately behind ours, the same design and floor plan as ours, the roof collapsed.

Constant aftershocks dissuaded us from going back in the house after dark. We spent the first night in sleeping bags in our son's pickup truck in the driveway, and the second night in a pup tent on the front lawn. After that, neighbors allowed our sons to sleep in their large motor home parked at the curb.

Sadly, about 60 people perished in the quake, many of them in a three-story apartment complex in Northridge that collapsed onto the first floor. At least one, an LAPD motorcycle officer, died when a freeway bridge collapsed. Had it not been the Martin Luther King holiday, surely many more would have been killed on the highways.

It wasn't just the main quake ... frequent, strong aftershocks continued for months, and after a couple of weeks the constant shaking was driving us nuts. Caltech said there were more than 11,000 aftershocks in the first eleven months after the initial quake. In that time, more than 400 aftershocks were large enough to feel, including 8 between magnitude 5.0 and 5.9; 48 between magnitude 4.0 and 4.9; and 367 between magnitude 3.0 and 3.9

The swimming pool was our seismometer -- when water shloshed out onto the deck in an aftershock, we knew it was magnitude 5.0 or better. Scientists interviewed on TV beamed like kids with a new toy: "Wow, we sure learned a lot from this one -- we didn't even know that fault was there! For all we know this might just be a foreshock of an even bigger one!!" (Thanks for sharing -- we recalled that every time another aftershock started.) Our next-door neighbor, a retired RCAF CF-104 pilot, spent the next two weeks standing on the sidewalk in front of his house with a highball in his hand, reluctant to go back inside. "I'd rather be shot at in combat," he said.

Electric power in our neighborhood was out for 24 hours. Landline phones were down. Not until afternoon of the first day were we able to get through on my suitcase-sized cell phone to let out-of-town relatives know we were okay. There was no water for a week. I learned it took four one-gallon milk jugs full of water carried in from the swimming pool for each toilet flush. We had to boil water for two weeks thereafter.

Our law firm was based in Granada Hills, but had a branch office in Palmdale. What had been a 45-drive between offices suddenly became a four-hour trek on two-lane secondary roads to bypass the damaged freeway bridges. I rented a Saratoga to shuttle files and office equipment between Van Nuys and Fox Field, Lancaster, a 15-minute flight.

Material things eventually got fixed or replaced, and we moved to the Northwest a year and a half later (a decision that had been made before the quake). So then we lived 35 miles from an active volcano. But there are emotional effects of that morning that will never go away.

More photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/SdFuYHNHSqVYQqjA8

Last edited:
I was in an Anaheim(?) hotel during the Whittier earthquake in 1987. You mentioned your swimming pool being the seismometer. In my case, the quake was strong, but quick. When it was over, the only sound I heard was the water sloshing around in the toilet. THAT was something you don't normally hear.

It started as a low rumble, and I thought a truck was driving by. Then it got louder and I though it was a low flying airliner, then the walls and floor started moving, and within about 5 seconds it was over.

I was talking with a guy later that day that was driving when it hit. He thought he had a flat tire so he pulled over to check. Then he saw a lot of other people also checking their tires.

I was in Newhall, not too far from the 14 transition to southbound 5 that collapsed. A Motors Chippy went off the end of it. Sad...

I was in a 7.0 in El Centro back in 79. What a mess. Scared the crap out of us! We moved 2 years later with the earthquake activity being the primary reason.

I was in Newhall, not too far from the 14 transition to southbound 5 that collapsed. A Motors Chippy went off the end of it. Sad...
Signs on the highway now recognize him, "Clarence Wayne Dean Memorial Interchange". I just corrected my original post; Dean was LAPD, not CHP, rushing into town in response to the emergency.

I'll have to make a note to publish a post this October on the 30th anniversary of the 7.0 Loma Prieta quake in the Bay Area. Epicenter 6 miles from our house in south San Jose.

I remember this day very well... I live in Ventura..

I was already up... I had gotten the call from my uncle few hours before to tell me that my father had passed away and was starting to make my way to LAX for 8:00 AM flight to Philadelphia, the death watch had been on for a couple of days. I was in the shower when it hit.... my GF at the time slept right through it.. she was used to my getting up early to beat the LA traffic. Got on the phone with United and got rerouted out of Santa Barbara...

In retrospect, I lived in Morgan Hill when the Loma Prita hit... I still say that was worse that Northridge...

One thing about that morning, that in the hindsight of a quarter century, is kinda funny.

About 2 AM, roughly two and a half hours before the quake, one of our son's teen pals paid a visit to toilet-paper our house. This is how we found it when we ventured from the back yard out to the front after the quake:

I was working the graveyard shift in La Mirada that morning. The production area was open air with steel decking for the second floor. We saw a bit of "the wave."

I was working the graveyard shift in La Mirada that morning. The production area was open air with steel decking for the second floor. We saw a bit of "the wave."
No kidding? I grew up (1955-70) in La Mirada.

The story was told of a Southern Pacific locomotive engineer rolling on the Coast Line through Northridge that morning, pulling a freight train at about 35 mph. He saw all the city lights blink out, then in the beam of his headlight he saw the wave in the rail coming toward him. When it hit the 368,000-pound locomotive felt like it went straight up in the air, then it came down on its side, sliding to a stop under the Nordhoff St. overpass.

It turned out the rails were shifted 10 inches, derailing half of the 64-car train. One sulfuric acid leak was quickly sealed. All rail lines within a 100-mile radius of the epicenter had to be inspected.

A radio station traffic reporter in a helicopter reported seeing "the wave" in the city street lights before they went out.

Last edited:
I was working at JPL for the summer, living in Pasadena, during the Northridge. Never been in an earthquake before. Fascinated watching the swimming pool.

I was in Oxnard CA. when the Northridge quake hit. I remember grabbing my baby son from his crib. We bounced between the wall and stair hand rail all the way down as we were running for the outside. When I turned on KNX I was expecting the worse. There was this weird haze afterword that is hard to explain. One of theses days the big one is going to pop in the basin and it will be horrific for those there.

There was this weird haze afterword that is hard to explain.
Just a guess, but that haze may have been from dust kicked up by rockslides in the mountains and canyons after the main quake and aftershocks.

I took this photo from my office window in Granada Hills, toward the northeast, in the direction of Sylmar, shortly after a large aftershock. We would often see clouds of dust like this following an aftershock; it looked like someone slapping a dusty sofa.

Back