Decision on Avidyne Equipment?

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
Was considering Garmin, but found a nice deal on Avidyne IFD440 and AXP340. Any reason not to? I know that’s a dang broad open ended question. Just trying to compare to Garmin 650 and their ADSB out transponder. Going to make the decision by Friday (tomorrow) noon.

I don’t know squat about your mission or the devices in question, other than the standard reviews.

If the avionics meet your requirements, then saving money to get the capability you need isn’t a bad thing.

Sorry about the cryptic question. I am going to be doing my research tonight, so I don’t even know what to ask, lol.

182P, 100 hr pilot, IFR training starting 2019, no plans for heavy IFR.

Currently have HSI is all.

Just make sure it is compatible with all the other stuff in your plane, or stuff you forsee installing near term. More and more all the avionics and flight displays and autopilots need to interconnect.

I have IFD440 and AXP340, very pleased, especially with the IFD 100 iPad app.

Do you have a Garmin 430 in the plane, now? If so, installation is close to trivial, and that saves thousands.

Thanks.

AP is S-TEC 60-2

All I have currently is KX-155, MX-300, and an HSI.

I use ForeFlight and iPad with Stratux.

Do I need to always keep a Jepp subscription up to date in order to use the 440? $500ish per year?

Last edited:
Thanks.

AP is S-TEC 62-1

All I have currently is KX-155, MX-300, and an HSI.

I use ForeFlight and iPad with Stratux.

Do I need to always keep a Jepp subscription up to date in order to use the 440? $500ish per year?
Not necesseray to have a current Jeppesen subscription to use it for VFR flights, yes for IFR actual but not for instrument training during VFR conditions. For IFR enroute and actual approaches you have to have the current terrain subscription and to shoot an approach in actual you have to verify the approach plate loaded in the Avidyne is newer or same issue date than the actual approach required. All approach plates have dates on them.

Not necesseray to have a current Jeppesen subscription to use it for VFR flights, yes for IFR actual but not for instrument training during VFR conditions. For IFR enroute and actual approaches you have to have the current terrain subscription and to shoot an approach in actual you have to verify the approach plate loaded in the Avidyne is newer or same issue date than the actual approach required. All approach plates have dates on them.
Um, true from a practical perspective. However there is no legal requirement to have a subscription and have the information in the database in the navigator.
You can do it all manually and meet the regs.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Um, true from a practical perspective. However there is no legal requirement to have a subscription and have the information in the database in the navigator.
You can do it all manually and meet the regs.

I did have a lengthy conversation with the local FISDO on this same topic. My interpretation of the discussion is that to file direct with any GPS or use it for actual IFR flight you have to have a current terrain subscription loaded. But you may want to call them and see if you get a different opinion, if you do please share it with us. VFR it is not required.

I did have a lengthy conversation with the local FISDO on this same topic. My interpretation of the discussion is that to file direct with any GPS or use it for actual IFR flight you have to have a current terrain subscription loaded. But you may want to call them and see if you get a different opinion, if you do please share it with us. VFR it is not required.
I have before. You need the data for the approach in your hands. And you can then via manual waypoints load it in the GPS RNAV to do the approach. For enroute, you can use VORs and track your exact position that way.
While this is technically correct, from a practical perspective you will likely tripped up on some minor aspect and violate the regs.

I swapped an IFD440 into my GNS430W slot. Very happy so far!

Of course now I'm thinking about switching it to a 540, as all I'd need to do is move the connectors over to a different tray...

I’m the owner of an IFD550, AXP340, and SkyTrax100.

Before I’d recommend it for you, there are a few things to consider:

- Jepp data is expensive for the Avidyne. Garmin data is cheaper. Yes, you can piecemeal a regional package with Jepp to get costs down, but it’s a hassle.

- Are you swapping it in for Garmin 430? If so, the IFD440 seems like a no brainer because it’s a pop-n-swap.

- Are you getting the AXP340 thrown in “free?” See if they’ll include the SkyTrax100 in the same package. They did that for me with my 550.

I’m very happy with my Avidyne. That said, if you’re planning to go with other Garmin gear in the future (e.g. G5’s, GFC 500 autopilot, etc.) there can be something said for going all Garmin from a compability standpoint. Garmin seems to be notorious for being a closed system and not playing well with others.

I installed dual G5’s during my upgrade and they do work perfectly with the Avidyne.

Overall I’d give it the thumbs up, but do investigate the data cost if you’re flying IFR. It adds up!

I have before. You need the data for the approach in your hands. And you can then via manual waypoints load it in the GPS RNAV to do the approach. For enroute, you can use VORs and track your exact position that way.
While this is technically correct, from a practical perspective you will likely tripped up on some minor aspect and violate the regs.

Confused on your discussion. Are you saying the Avydyne products require the terrain subscription to function properly or the FAA requires a terrain subscription for Part 91?

Also are you saying you can manually load waypoints for an IFR approach? How to do coax the box into approach sensitivity.

I think you still get a 60 day free trial of Jep data with the purchase of a new IFD so you'll be able to get the terrain data updated to the latest map during that.

The database for the Avidyne is a little more expensive than the Garmin GTN series. Jepp charges about $450/year and Garmin charges $300/year for a NavData only subscription, which is all that you need. As was mentioned, the 60-day free trial gives you terrain, obstacles, basemap and Charts as well as terrain. With the Jepp subscription for Avidyne you also get to put it on 2 iPads to run the IFD100 App, so the difference, in my opinion, is worth it.

The Avidyne comes with Wifi/Bt as well, including a bluetooth keyboard.

As for compatibility, the Avidyne will talk to a G5/GFC500 system just as well as a GTN will. The ARINC format is standard as is the MapMX format of RS232, which is how the Avidyne and GTN will talk. Some Garmin hardware plays nicer with other Garmin hardware, but for the GNS and GTN navigators, they play with everything as well as possible. The Avidyne actually has some data formats with labels the Garmin doesn't have. I have a IFD540 in my 182 with a G5 HSI. I used to have a GTN650 driving the HSI. There is absolutely no difference between the two in compatibility. The GFC500 talks to the G5, not the GTN, so it doesn't know and doesn't care if is has a GNS, GTN or IFD.

I have a IFD540 in my 182 with a G5 HSI. I used to have a GTN650 driving the HSI. There is absolutely no difference between the two in compatibility. The GFC500 talks to the G5, not the GTN, so it doesn't know and doesn't care if is has a GNS, GTN or IFD.
Great to know!

I feel lucky that I chose dual Garmin G5's to pair with my IFD 550. It all works perfectly and it sounds like I can add the GFC 500 autopilot without compromise later since the real issue is which glass AI/HSI you choose. Is that right?

Having the bigger screen of the IFD 540 vs. the GTN 650 must be a nice upgrade for you.

I use the RealityXP GTN 650 simulator on X-Plane VR on occasion and I find the Avidyne's IFD user interface with additional physical buttons to be quicker on the draw during heavy IFR workloads.

Confused on your discussion. Are you saying the Avydyne products require the terrain subscription to function properly or the FAA requires a terrain subscription for Part 91?

Also are you saying you can manually load waypoints for an IFR approach? How to do coax the box into approach sensitivity.
The Avidyne will usually come with terrain data from the factory or can be courtesy loaded by the shop you're buying it from.

Since terrain usually takes thousands (millions?) of years to change (unless you're in the South China Sea), the only Jepp data I'd recommend subscribing for is NavData and Obstacles. I would use the Charts/Plates on your iPad ForeFlight subscription and skip Charts on the Avidyne.

Current data is always required in order to legally fly an IFR approach.

The Avidyne will automatically change sensitivity (TERM -> APP) when the correct approach is loaded and activated. Checking for this is one of the steps you should take when flying an approach.

All modern navigators allow you to load your own waypoints. Never load custom waypoints to fly your own unpublished IFR approach! :)

The FAA rules do not apply to terrain and obstacle database. Only to enroute and approach portions of your IR flight.
The FAA requires you have current data for both enroute and approach for any you use. The FAA does not specify how you get the data and where you keep it. Just that you have it. So theoretically you could get the data from the FAA and manually load the data into your Nav system.

As for approach, that drives the A/P it has not real effect on the CDI or HSI.

From a practical perspective, this theory is fraught with potential pitfalls, for which if you get a PD or have an accident you can bet the FAA will find the mistake.

Tim

The FAA rules do not apply to terrain and obstacle database. Only to enroute and approach portions of your IR flight.
The FAA requires you have current data for both enroute and approach for any you use. The FAA does not specify how you get the data and where you keep it. Just that you have it. So theoretically you could get the data from the FAA and manually load the data into your Nav system.

As for approach, that drives the A/P it has not real effect on the CDI or HSI.

From a practical perspective, this theory is fraught with potential pitfalls, for which if you get a PD or have an accident you can bet the FAA will find the mistake.

Tim

Yes, you can manually load the data, but you would never get a GS.

I feel lucky that I chose dual Garmin G5's to pair with my IFD 550. It all works perfectly and it sounds like I can add the GFC 500 autopilot without compromise later since the real issue is which glass AI/HSI you choose. Is that right?
That is right.

Cool stuff above guys, thank you. How to use the iPad with the IFD will be new learning...

Looks like I may be doing the IFD 540, for not much more $.

Cool stuff above guys, thank you. How to use the iPad with the IFD will be new learning...

We just purchased a IFD440 and Lynx transponder. At the time Avidyne was offering a bundle discount for the Lynx. They work well together.
In our case - with the smaller screen than the 540, we wanted the Lynx because it has its’ own screen that displays traffic and weather. You may want to check the upcharge for the Lynx and see if it is worth it to you to have a second screen. We are going into the avionics shop next week for our upgrade.

Sweet!

Quite frankly, I never run the IFD100 software on my iPad. I run ForeFlight connected to a Stratus 2S and any additional apps would simply drain the battery. I know I can connect ForeFlight to my IFD550, but I seem to get more data with the Stratus. It's also nice to have that as my backup to the panel when I'm in the soup. If electrical power goes, the iPad and Stratus keep on truckin'!

I would go so far to say that a Stratus (or equivalent) and a handheld radio are "must haves," even if you have a top of the line gps nav/com.

Congrats on the IFD!

So plans changed a tad, I can change the 440 to a 540 for not much more money. I may need to move the intercom out of the stack to make room. I may be able to provide the labor with oversight so I can save some money.

It’ll be tied to my old HSI which is tied to my AP, and currently to my KX155. I’ll bump the 155 to secondary navcom service. I also have an MX300 with an indicator that won’t work with my 155 (plus it doesn’t have glidedlope). I’ll have to find a nice indicator with glideslope for my 155).

Anyone need an MX300 with indicator, will show up for sale soon.

Ignore the multicolor panel overlay, am in the process of fixing one and replacing/fitting the other...should I go gray or black??

2CA38814-D57D-4939-B383-08F028ABE1C5.jpeg

Black will add 10 kts minimum.
Gray and you will not be getting lucky tonight.

I vote black...says the guy with a gray panel himself.

Black!

When we got our Warrior, the plastic panel overlay was a lighter colour.

AWFUL at night! The lighter panel reflected every light that hit it..

Now it is flat black, and all we see are the instruments, and the switches and white lettered placards glow red nicely with the overhead red panel light. Before the whole world ahead of us was red. Awful....

Cap

Was considering Garmin, but found a nice deal on Avidyne IFD440 and AXP340. Any reason not to? I know that’s a dang broad open ended question. Just trying to compare to Garmin 650 and their ADSB out transponder. Going to make the decision by Friday (tomorrow) noon.
Avidyne boxes are fine to use, but I would take Garmin over Avidyne any day simply due to support.

Avidyne is the avionics king of upselling. They have a habit of introducing new models and immediately stopping support of older products.

Avidyne boxes are fine to use, but I would take Garmin over Avidyne any day simply due to support.

Avidyne is the avionics king of upselling. They have a habit of introducing new models and immediately stopping support of older products.

Is this true? Isn’t the IFD540 kinda new at 3 yrs on the market? I’m not familiar with the company’s other offerings, support, and obsolescence.

As it turns out, I am doing the 540 for just a few dollars more, just have to wait until Feb.

Is this true? Isn’t the IFD540 kinda new at 3 yrs on the market? I’m not familiar with the company’s other offerings, support, and obsolescence.

As it turns out, I am doing the 540 for just a few dollars more, just have to wait until Feb.
I can’t speak for the IFDs specifically, but that is true for the Avidyne MFDs.

As an Avidyne MFD owner, I’d personally be cautious about buying any future Avidyne products.

I can’t speak for the IFDs specifically, but that is true for the Avidyne MFDs.

As an Avidyne MFD owner, I’d personally be cautious about buying any future Avidyne products.

@Fearless Tower I'm really sorry to hear this. What exactly do you mean by stopping support? While we no longer produce the EX5000 MFD's they are still supported from a repair standpoint. We even released 8.2 software upgrade for that product a few months ago. Many competitors will announce "end of service" on products while Avidyne has products 20+ years old that can still be serviced. Just trying to better understand your perception.

Best regards,

Bryan Kahl

Director of Customer Experience

Bkahl@avidyne.com

My bonanza had a ifd540 and axp340 when I bought it. I don’t think I could go back to Garmin now. The avidyne is very user friendly. I prefer foreflight over the IFD100 app, although I haven’t used the ifd100 app much to give it a fair chance.

I prefer foreflight over the IFD100 app, although I haven’t used the ifd100 app much to give it a fair chance.

If you used it a bit more I think you’d realize that they really serve different purposes, although there can be some overlap in function.

I like them both and will occasionally have two iPads to run both apps at same time. One is yoke mount (foreflight) and the panel mount runs IFD 100. Tons of redundancy. Foreflight iPad gets data from stratus 2. IFD iPad gets from skytrax / IFD 550.

Hasn't been my experience with Avidyne, but I'm only 1 year in with my IFD550/AXP340/SkyTrax100 bundle. I just called Avidyne support today and a tech rep phoned me right back. No upsells so far.

I agree that Garmin has great support, too.

Personally, I would go with the bigger unit! I had a 430W put in my 182 and it was fine, I upgraded my other planes avionics and took a 530W out and had them put it in the 182 and holy crap it's so much easier to read and the map is so much larger,and when you're in your 50's that stuff helps!!

Personally, I would go with the bigger unit! I had a 430W put in my 182 and it was fine, I upgraded my other planes avionics and took a 530W out and had them put it in the 182 and holy crap it's so much easier to read and the map is so much larger,and when you're in your 50's that stuff helps!!
Amen to that. And when you add touch screen to the mix (which I couldn't live without now), the big screen is a bigger deal for fat, jumpy fingers :)

Avidyne stuff arrived a couple weeks ago, was waiting on a KI209 which came yesterday.

Started the bench work this afternoon. Installed plugs and power & ground wires. Going to try to maybe finish the bench wiring tomorrow. I’m working way slow, but under the watchful eye of an expert...I learned a lot today.

The rest can’t happen until I get into the panel. That won’t happen until I pull the plane out of service, which will be next Fri when the shop has floor space available.

C985D06A-2261-49A7-8954-4AC7D3C62901.jpeg

Back