Wedding Imminent

Yeah, that avatar about sums my feelings up when "we" got pregnant the first time.

Congratulations! I read years ago that physically, adults produce children, but spiritually, children produce adults. I know my wife and I did a lot of growing up when we had children to deal with. And nothing quite prepares you for the emotions that come with them.

Update:
7vCT5Xi.gif

DelightfulBruisedHuia-size_restricted.gif

You think that GIF is you and your wife but it might also be the kid. :)

Congrats!

Damn, you put it in overdrive, didn’t ya?

Congrats!

I think if he had put IT in overdrive, they wouldn't be in this situation.

Congrats, @overdrive148 ! We're expecting our 2nd at the end of April. Raising a kid has been a blast for us. As @jsstevens said, there's nothing that prepares you for the emotions that come with your own children. Prepare to have all of your free time stolen!

Last edited:
I'm still in shock, like it doesn't feel real. It was one of the terms and conditions before we got engaged and I agreed to them. Both sets of parents are ecstatic, I'm about to be promoted (...to a position with more travel...), and things seem like they're going to be okay.

Even though I have been internally screaming since we found out, I am being reassured that this is entirely normal.

I'm still in shock, like it doesn't feel real. It was one of the terms and conditions before we got engaged and I agreed to them. Both sets of parents are ecstatic, I'm about to be promoted (...to a position with more travel...), and things seem like they're going to be okay.

Even though I have been internally screaming since we found out, I am being reassured that this is entirely normal.

Eh, I won't speak in absolutes, but generally-speaking you won't notice much emotional change until the kid arrives. Anxiety over things that need to be done is normal, but most of the thoughts for men don't involve the actual care/patenting of the child. They say mothers are born when they find out they're pregnant, fathers are born when they hold their kid for the first time. All of the feelings that women have while carrying a child don't translate much with men, but the realization of fatherhood is hard to ignore when you have something tangible in your hands.

reviving a necro post with a baby announcement?!?

And the title of thread makes it seem a shotgun would be involved.

Nonetheless, Congrats!

Any idea how this might have happened.?? :rofl:

I remember years ago when our high school class had its 20th anniversary. One class member had gotten married immediately after graduation and by the time 20 years had rolled around she had 12. Her quote, "Yes, we do know what causes it!"

Congratulations. As other have said, get your sleep while you can. You don't really catch up until they're grown and out of the house. Now I really catch up, as I'm retired. That's a ways off for you, but keep it in mind.

Congrats, bro!!! That's a big deal. Don't sweat it too much right now. Just take good care of the wife and figure it all out together.

Congrats.... rotten old curmudgeon that I am, at the age of 49 I cried the first time I heard my daughter's heartbeat during the sonogram. They said I couldn't understand unless I had a child, and they were absolutely right. She's almost ten now, and I would take on the whole world for her. May you be as blessed!

yah but the streets can turn into temp rivers in flash

cheers
I'm in Vegas, nothing about this place is cold, not even the feet! And they just hauled her off for hair and makeup and I have nothing else to do. Sitting here alone watching the strip.
View attachment 53801

Way to procreate, enjoy the ride, it goes by quickly! Next thing you know your sitting in a terminal at 7am and your little ones decide a Bloody Mary is in order. :cheers:

Congrats.... rotten old curmudgeon that I am, at the age of 49 I cried the first time I heard my daughter's heartbeat during the sonogram. They said I couldn't understand unless I had a child, and they were absolutely right. She's almost ten now, and I would take on the whole world for her. May you be as blessed!
I was 37 when I heard my son's heartbeat for the first time. I am generally a pretty stoic person, but yeah, i cried like a baby. And the first time I held him after he was born. You're in for a great ride Overdrive.

Kids are super gross. My sister just had her first one a few days ago. Blecch.

A friend of mine once told me that as the father, there is a biological switch that flips in your brain and prevents you from strangling the little bastard. Barely. Take solace and hope the switch flips. And that the 18 years of lost sleep/cash/time/wrecked car ends up worth it.

Congrats! Sleep now, sleep often, as sometimes there won't be much sleep that 1st year. And, as they say, it goes fast. Yesterday girl was born, today she's 16 and driving, tomorrow she'll be off to college, and next week she'll be married with her own family...

I love my Daughter more than life itself. Absolutely the best thing that ever happened to me.
Remember this:
You are raising an adult not a child.
It is sometimes hard to be a good parent
Change 2 diapers for every one your Wife does.
You are the Parent. You cannot be a friend, maybe in 30 years.
Be consistent with discipline. They will constantly test you.
Be careful how you act. Children are a sponge. You are their example of what an adult is.
Teach them the little things. Don’t assume that they know what to do.
Enjoy every moment, even the bad ones as they will never come again.

Kids are super gross. My sister just had her first one a few days ago. Blecch.

A friend of mine once told me that as the father, there is a biological switch that flips in your brain and prevents you from strangling the little bastard. Barely. Take solace and hope the switch flips. And that the 18 years of lost sleep/cash/time/wrecked car ends up worth it.
wtf?

some people just shouldn’t be parents than...

Congrats. Hope the pregnancy and birth go very well.

I consider kids to be a true blessing. Watching my kids grow up is an amazing thing to behold, and having a huge part in shaping their lives is very rewarding. My oldest, my daughter, is in her second year of marriage and seems to be very happy. I can't ask for any more than that. And I get to some day look forward to possibly being a grandfather. That makes me happy.

Congrats. Hope the pregnancy and birth go very well.

I consider kids to be a true blessing. Watching my kids grow up is an amazing thing to behold, and having a huge part in shaping their lives is very rewarding. My oldest, my daughter, is in her second year of marriage and seems to be very happy. I can't ask for any more than that. And I get to some day look forward to possibly being a grandfather. That makes me happy.

Wait until you are watching grandkids grow up. So much fun!

I love my Daughter more than life itself. Absolutely the best thing that ever happened to me.
Remember this:
You are raising an adult not a child.
It is sometimes hard to be a good parent
Change 2 diapers for every one your Wife does.
You are the Parent. You cannot be a friend, maybe in 30 years.
Be consistent with discipline. They will constantly test you.
Be careful how you act. Children are a sponge. You are their example of what an adult is.
Teach them the little things. Don’t assume that they know what to do.
Enjoy every moment, even the bad ones as they will never come again.

All of this... And I will add, be close to on the same page with your wife with parenting. There may come a day, God forbid, that you're no longer married, and have to co-parent with this person. This makes all the difference in the world, and is something my ex-wife and I struggle with with our almost 5 year old

Back