Gone West Forum

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
The question was asked if we had a specific place where we remembered our friends who have gone west. Although we have traditionally had threads started by friends to remember the deceased, we haven't consolidated those threads in any particular location.

The intent is that we also move threads about those who have passed already here, so please make the mods aware of threads that need to be moved.

Trying to remember the name or forum handle for the gentleman from tidewater VA who participated here until the day he passed. He had like a 65 year flying career.

Trying to remember the name or forum handle for the gentleman from tidewater VA who participated here until the day he passed. He had like a 65 year flying career.

As you come up with threads that should be moved, the best thing to do would be to find them and then hit "report post" with the reason for the report.

The question was asked if we had a specific place where we remembered our friends who have gone west. Although we have traditionally had threads started by friends to remember the deceased, we haven't consolidated those threads in any particular location.

The intent is that we also move threads about those who have passed already here, so please make the mods aware of threads that need to be moved.
Did a simple search on the word "west" in titles, and tried to report, and system keeps making me wait longer and longer. Reported a handfull anyway.

Last edited:
Carol Channing died yesterday, 97 yo.

Couldn't find anything like that. I did a search on "Tidewater" and the only possibility I found in the results is L10MAN, but it sounds like he is/was from eastern TN.

As you come up with threads that should be moved, the best thing to do would be to find them and then hit "report post" with the reason for the report.

OK, I just reported a handful, including the actual announcement of Bo Boggs' death (The Old Man) - The thread that's in here was him saying he thought he'd taken his last flight.

I would suggest that the threads that make the announcement should have their names changed to the name of the person. Maybe that's me not wanting my legacy thread to be titled "What a dumbass" ;) but it just seems more personal that way.

For clarification - "Gone West" is meant to be specifically for people who were PoA members. Exceptions may be made for people who were particularly influential or meaningful in PoA history who may not have been members but may have been participants, but it's not meant to be a general obituaries section.

If you think about it in the forum terms, this is where we sit around the hangar and tell stories remembering our friends.

Norman is one I’ll always miss around these parts. Always liked how he’d throw in a wisecrack every now and then—definitely a train lover too. I found it sobering when he mentioned that he didn’t have much time left and just a few short weeks later he passed.

RIP Norm!

Norman is one I’ll always miss around these parts. Always liked how he’d throw in a wisecrack every now and then—definitely a train lover too. I found it sobering when he mentioned that he didn’t have much time left and just a few short weeks later he passed.

RIP Norm!

Note that Norm's thread is in the Gone West forum, and those are threads that we can resurrect anytime to chat about how we miss our friends. :)

Thread here:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/community/threads/in-memory-of-norman-flown-west.109427/

Trying to find the thread about Mike Schneider (Marathon Mike), from Tallahassee. Great guy, he and I flew the very first GoFlyAmerica claim flight in his Maule.

Trying to find the thread about Mike Schneider (Marathon Mike), from Tallahassee. Great guy, he and I flew the very first GoFlyAmerica claim flight in his Maule.
Already there with the thread title, "Member Gone West". I'll put up the "Gone West" banner on his avatar.

Thank you, Mari. Mike a class act.

Reading through some of these is sobering. Friends I knew, and some I hadn't met yet.

Thank you, Mari. Mike a class act.

Reading through some of these is sobering. Friends I knew, and some I hadn't met yet.

It's sobering, and sad in some ways. It also brings back memories of good friends who've since passed, people who we want to remember.

I'm happy to see the enthusiasm behind this forum for this reason.

We still have Bo Boggs' complete Blog here "somewhere" - had promised The Redhead we'd have that, and so need to put up a link somewhere.

We still have Bo Boggs' complete Blog here "somewhere" - had promised The Redhead we'd have that, and so need to put up a link somewhere.

I'd suggest adding that to his memorial thread, along with any other links to any of the memorial threads that people want to share.

As sad as it is to say, this sub-forum is all too needed. Thank you for adding it.

As sad as it is to say, this sub-forum is all too needed. Thank you for adding it.

None of us are getting out of this alive.

That said, when Greg brought the idea to our attention, we all agreed that this was a very good idea and I think felt similarly to you, Ghery. None of us could really figure out why it hadn't been done sooner.

The funny (well not so funny, actually) thing is that these are only a fraction of the folks. While many prolific posters have been active here for more than a decade, there are plenty of POA members who chimes in here and there and one day go dark. Maybe they lost interest, maybe they got bored, lost their medical and gave up flying, or considering the average age of GA pilots, perhaps passed on without anyone here every knowing.

But it's a good point; 60 years from now, most of us reading this thread today will have flown west.

The funny (well not so funny, actually) thing is that these are only a fraction of the folks. While many prolific posters have been active here for more than a decade, there are plenty of POA members who chimes in here and there and one day go dark. Maybe they lost interest, maybe they got bored, lost their medical and gave up flying, or considering the average age of GA pilots, perhaps passed on without anyone here every knowing.

But it's a good point; 60 years from now, most of us reading this thread today will have flown west.

I’m sure you’re right that we’ve lost members we don’t know about. But, when we find out (assuming we do), we have a place for them.

Not me, I'm going to fly east for my last flight to First Flight Airport.

Back