G1000 Wind speed and direction

bluesideup

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
bluesideup
Hi everyone.
Do any of you know what is the KIAS / speed that G1000 stops showing that information?
I would be interested if any of you have seen it Not show up in flight when you do sSlow flight5... I know that they do not show it during Taxi but as I recall it shows during the approach until touch down in the 182.
I cannot find that info in the G1000 manual.

It's pretty much there every time I look. I think it needs GPS speed and air speed to work, so if you lose GPS signal for a bit it will probably disappear.

Hi Paul.
I know that they do not show it during Taxi, and I every time, other than Taxi, I see it, but think there is a Speed / KIAS where they may not be able to calculate it properly, but I cannot find any specs on it.
I am also curious if there is a difference in that calculation if you have some external input, like XM..I would think not, since they are not real time.

Hi Paul.
I know that they do not show it during Taxi, and I every time, other than Taxi, I see it, but think there is a Speed / KIAS where they may not be able to calculate it properly, but I cannot find any specs on it.
I am also curious if there is a difference in that calculation if you have some external input, like XM..I would think not, since they are not real time.

I'm pretty sure it is just calculated via data from the flight like heading, true airspeed, ground track and ground speed, shouldn't be that difficult to calculate. Really it's just a superfast E6B. XM data isn't real time so I doubt it's used. Honestly, that's just an educated guess though, garmin can be pretty sparse with their info on how things are done.

Not sure if you are talking about wind speed or airspeed. Wind speed can't be calculated on the ground. It needs to to look at heading, drift, airspeed etc. to calculate a wind vector.

Airspeed needs a bit of pressure in the pitot tube, usually see mine spin up around 30 KIAS (G500, but pretty sure it's the same basic stuff)

Not sure what the manual will tell you, but I'll confidently tell you on the G1000 it displays down to the single digits in flight. I had a PA-46 on a return to service flight down to 8 knots across the ground, not sure if that was forward or backward groundspeed. I'd imagine as long as the AHRS and air data computers are doing in flight magic stuff it'll continue to display wind data.

Hi everyone.
Do any of you know what is the KIAS / speed that G1000 stops showing that information?
I would be interested if any of you have seen it Not show up in flight when you do sSlow flight5... I know that they do not show it during Taxi but as I recall it shows during the approach until touch down in the 182.
I cannot find that info in the G1000 manual.

I can't give you a definitive answer, but I would think that as long as your IAS, Heading, and GPS are active it should work. I would imagine it's probably disabled in Ground mode (below 30 knots on the surface, IIRC).

One way to find out would be to take up the 182 on a windy day... Make sure you have an SD card in the 2nd slot on the MFD so it logs flight data, then go up and try to get as close to 0 groundspeed as you can. Then, you can look in the data file to see if there are any gaps (and see when it starts being logged on takeoff, too).

Hi everyone.
I was able to get a hold of Tech support at Garmin and they said the same thing that we all see here, and initially understood.
They start at 0 (zero) on both. If the data is available it will be calculated. The display of the data window depends only, restricted by, the acft lowest IAS that it presents / displays in that particular acft. I know that some firmware restricts that to somewhere around 30KIAS or above.
There are some practical technical problems with showing it on the ground, during taxi, but in flight they will calculate it, and show it, from zero.

Back