Leaving an open instrument panel hole

455 Bravo Uniform

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
455 Bravo Uniform
If an instrument is removed, is there any regulatory or safety reason for covering up the open hole?

The right side of my panel is missing 2 instruments (one is an old ADF) and the prior owner or A&P looked like had gone to great lengths to make sure any gaps were fully sealed with an RTV type sealer.

I thought maybe it was for fire safety, but one of the covers is aluminum while the other is plastic.

Not regulatory or safety but drafty. There are snap-in covers but cost anywhere from $25 and up. I took a piece of cardboard and taped over the hole.

If an instrument is removed, is there any regulatory or safety reason for covering up the open hole?

The right side of my panel is missing 2 instruments (one is an old ADF) and the prior owner or A&P looked like had gone to great lengths to make sure any gaps were fully sealed with an RTV type sealer.

I thought maybe it was for fire safety, but one of the covers is aluminum while the other is plastic.

Wrong question.

This is PoA. You should be asking us what sort of budget breaking new avionic gadgets we recommend as the must-have in your panel to fill those holes.
Covers? :confused:o_O Sheesh...

No regulation, but hole plugs usually look best

Some ads in aviation magazines have life-size pictures of instruments and avionics.

Cut out the ones you want and tape them over the holes.

The panel of your dreams!
The envy of other airport bums!

Imagine an engine monitor that never shows cylinders getting hot!

What more could a guy want?

Go dig around the Aeromart at Oshkosh and find some instrument to stuff in there. A mach meter would be an interesting one to have.

It's to avoid unnecessary distractions -
images

I guess I could use the round hole to hold a water bottle.

On the ADF, it could be a second glovebox...

I bent some steel strips so that I could mount my tablet on my panel over a blank spot.

I made a cover from thin (1/16") plywood to clamp into the hole, then attached a mount for a handheld GPS to it.

A metal plate works fine, and can be used for mounting auxiliary switches if necessary.

Some ads in aviation magazines have life-size pictures of instruments and avionics.
Cut out the ones you want and tape them over the holes.

Lol..
This is also sort of an idea for @Katamarino
No need for locks and chains.... just get a fake painted panel full of old dusty inop avionics and place it over the real panel.

Lol..
This is also sort of an idea for @Katamarino
No need for locks and chains.... just get a fake painted panel full of old dusty inop avionics and place it over the real panel.

That’s an awesome idea. Better yet, get a stack of old equipment, slice the faces off and glue em to a board, and hang/Velcro the board in front of the good stuff at the end of each flight.

Back