Thinking About an Old Taildragger

Dare I say it on an aviation forum... I'm not a fan of Cubs! I don't like getting in them, I don't like sitting in them for very long, I don't even like flying them much! I do like the doors...

I've had a couple of Luscombes and flown quite a few of them. I really like the ones with wing tanks. The ones with fuselage tanks are a bit cramped for me.

I hear you Jack. The best thing about a Cub is that it is an airplane. They are fun to fly as is any other plane but in my opinion do not live up to the hype. I’ve never figured out why so many people are so over the top gaga with them. A Super Cub is more understandable but a J3... meh.

With a downhill take off and clearing those obstacles, I see no reason a 120/140 wouldn't do ya, especially with a climb prop... Yea I'm biased and don't have others to compare it to, I wouldn't do it with many/any real obstacles to clear but if you can knock those down, there is no reason in the world you wouldn't be airborne to get out of there... The guys tell me with experience landing can be done in 3-400 feet. And if its for counting cows no reason a 5-6 GPH (depending on engine) you need to cart 25 gallons of petrol with ya... The C-85 with the 0-200 crank and other goodies on paper is still an 85hp, but most folks will say in practicality that isn't so, that the cost of getting the increased hp on paper for the STC would have made it impractical to do, so they don't claim any gain... Others I'm sure know more technicalities of that than I. 800s inflated to the lower end of acceptable range takes a lot of her bouncy reputation out of her...

I think the big question is whether or not we change our mind on the tandem vs. side-by-side. Right now we want tandem.

I think the big question is whether or not we change our mind on the tandem vs. side-by-side. Right now we want tandem.

Wouldn't side by side be better for demonstrating things to the kids, or do you think you could instruct them tandem?

Wouldn't side by side be better for demonstrating things to the kids, or do you think you could instruct them tandem?

There is something to that as well as seeing what they're doing. But on the other side, since part of the point is to be able to look out the window and count cows, that's done a whole lot easier in a tandem.

First we need a runway. And a hangar.

I hear you Jack. The best thing about a Cub is that it is an airplane. They are fun to fly as is any other plane but in my opinion do not live up to the hype. I’ve never figured out why so many people are so over the top gaga with them. A Super Cub is more understandable but a J3... meh.

I love flying the J3. It keeps me on my toes.
But:
Ingress and egress are a royal pain. Seriously. At some point I'm going to land after a flight and they are going to need to cut the plane in half so I can get out.
They are brutally cold in the winter (where winters are cold). Figure OAT plus 75 mph wind chill, because the door doesn't even come close to latching closed.
(The planes I fly) There seems to be a problem keeping them running at idle in really cold weather. I guess the plus side is you get lots of glider time.
Carb ice appears to be the natural product of Cub flight, 7 months out of the year.
With only 11 gallons usable you don't get to go far. 1 1/2 hours and you need to be looking for a fuel pump. You do get to meet some interesting people with all the gas stops.
Original brakes are rather useless. The plus side is you aren't going fast enough to need them all the time.
A lot of adverse yaw. You will learn to use the rudder pedals.
Plan on ground looping, at least once. Especially in a stiff crosswind with crap brakes.
Hand propping will keep your upper body in good shape. It will also attract every know-it-all and wanna be for miles around.

I doubt I will ever own a J3. Taylorcraft, Champ and Luscombe are more appealing to me.
All the old taildraggers have their own "personalities". It's what makes them fun, and builds your skill level.

Oh I forgot that changed, thats right you had started out side by side but then were leaning more tandem.

Back