CFI-S (Sport Pilot CFI) Ground School?

MarkH

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MarkH
In my limited time in aviation, I have run into a handful of older experienced pilots who never pursued Commercial Training. My area (like much of the country) is also experiencing an issue with losing CFIs to Regionals. I want to pitch to some of these older pilots to consider CFI-S training because some of them clearly enjoy teaching. Before I make the suggestion, I would like to know what is available for ground school, so if they ask I can say "look here".

Does anyone know of a good ground school for CFI-S? Has anyone used one and can they comment on the quality?

A friend who's a SP CFI recommends the Gleim course.

Friends really let friends take instruction from SP CFIs? Are they really a friend?

There have been a lot of questions on here about CFI-S, does anyone know how many of these exist in real life?

Not a lot, but I'm thinking about getting it. Why not? A new skill, an excuse to brush up on my flying skills, and if I time it right I get to do that checkride instead of just a flight review.

I don't know. I just wondered if there were many of them out there. We don't see a lot of sport pilot trainees here (in the area) anymore. I'm sure other areas may be different, we don't have available light sport planes here anymore.

I am not sure I've ever met anyone training for CFI-S or that had the CFI-S. So I just wondered if the numbers were published. I looked a while back when we were discussing Recreational pilot, but everyone was just listed as "Instructor" without breaking down rotor/airplane, CFII, CFi and MEI.

They don't seem to break down much after they get to Instructor.

Last edited:
Back