Garmin Pilot iPad vs Android

JM93

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
John M
I'm currently at the beginning of my cross country training and my instructor told me that we're going to do 2 XC planning on paper and then I can use any efb that I want. Our school works with King/Garmin and we get a 1 year subscription to Garmin Pilot, so I will obviously start out by using that.

I'm not too worried about the Apple vs Android debate. My question is, what are the major differences between the app on the iPad vs on an Android.

Side note, I already have the Galaxy S8+, would it be worth it to just use that to run GP instead of buying a tablet?

Hi.
I do not use any of the bitten Apple products, and I cannot give you any info on them. I am not sure any free apps exist for them?
For Android you can use S8+ if you do not wear glasses and have a good location to place and view it. I use it on my knee as a Board checklist mount position, and you can find may free apps, may want to look at Avare to start out with.
I find that a 7in. device works best for me, size wise and the ability to read / see the print.

I run Garmin Pilot on my iPhone X every flight. It’s hampered a bit by the smaller screen, but I like it mounted where I can see it at a quick glance. For longer flights (more than 200 miles) I also use an iPad where the more sophisticated features are more readily available.

I've not run Garmin Pilot on a Android device. It's my primary EFB on an iPad. I really like it a lot. Particularly if you have a 210 or a 510 interface with your GPS. Flight plans update both ways automatically. Lot's of good data on GP if you have ADSB.

I've heard, but don't have first hand knowledge, that the functionality is a bit less on Android.

I run it on an iPad. I have a friend who runs his on Android. My iPad always gets the newest features first, then a few months later they’ll show up on the Android.

This is a co undrum i went through a couple years ago. Garmin pilot for iPad is at least a couple updates beyond that for Android. It always gets the latest features well before the Android version does. What I didn't like about the iPad version has more to do with the platform than anything. Only the cellular versions of the iPad have a built-in GPS receiver and are significantly more expensive. You don't necessarily have to a private the cell service but the initial expense can easily be double that for a decent Andoir tablet. I have used a Galaxy Tab A for a couple years and am pretty satisfied. The latest features will come in due time.

Another difference is the hardware. The availability of mounts and pilot accessories for Android isn't even remotely close to that for the iPad.

This is a co undrum i went through a couple years ago. Garmin pilot for iPad is at least a couple updates beyond that for Android. It always gets the latest features well before the Android version does. What I didn't like about the iPad version has more to do with the platform than anything. Only the cellular versions of the iPad have a built-in GPS receiver and are significantly more expensive. You don't necessarily have to a private the cell service but the initial expense can easily be double that for a decent Andoir tablet. I have used a Galaxy Tab A for a couple years and am pretty satisfied. The latest features will come in due time.

Another difference is the hardware. The availability of mounts and pilot accessories for Android isn't even remotely close to that for the iPad.
But how many mounts do you really need?

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

But how many mounts do you really need?

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

You only need one, but I mean model specific. There are several options for each iPad model that fit perfectly including panel mounts. Only one specifically made for my Tab A and no panel mounting options.

I really appreciate everyone's opinion. It sounds like there isn't too much of a difference except Apple getting everything first.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back