Student

Cameron Rouse

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
F35fan
Hi, I am a college student in the aeronautics program looking for a pilot to interview with a few questions about technical communication in aviation. Its for a project in a technical reporting course i am taking. If anyone is willing to help it would be greatly appreciated.

Let’s hear it...

What questions do you have ?

Kinda uhhhhhh like this

Ok..first and foremost I would like to thank you for taking time out of your day to even respond. I just have a few simple questions about your job title in your field of work (what type of pilot are you). How much time does your field require you to write things such as emails, memos, etc. A few questions about technical writing in your field of aviation, such as what kind, how important is it, etc. There are about seven questions. Is that ok with you?

James beat me to the video....

But I too am willing to participate in the study.

Ok..first and foremost I would like to thank you for taking time out of your day to even respond. I just have a few simple questions about your job title in your field of work (what type of pilot are you). How much time does your field require you to write things such as emails, memos, etc. A few questions about technical writing in your field of aviation, such as what kind, how important is it, etc. There are about seven questions. Is that ok with you?

Simple idea for you would be head over to SurveyMonkey.com and use their free level to generate a form we can fill in. Then share the link with us (edit your original post with the link too)

You may want to define the type of pilot you need. Sounds like you may need feedback from professional pilots. Many on this board, like myself, are just private pilots. The only aviation related technical writing I do is writing checks.

If there's any technical writing as a private pilot that'll be fine also

If there's any technical writing as a private pilot that'll be fine also
In my experience, there isn't any required tech writing as a private pilot...

Reading, bucket loads. But no writing.

CFI's (especially folks working to become one) often write their own lesson plans, or at least edit/modify ones they obtained from an outside source.

There are some aviation authors who are members here. @scottd and @bobmrg and @Freight Dog are some that I can think of.

just a quick note. I am a pilot with a legacy US carrier. as a line pilot we do not have to write much of anything. when something out of the norm happens we do have to fill out company reports and union reports. most are just fill in the blank computer forms with a section for the usual what happened block. now, as a pilot moves up the company ladder, there are more jobs that get more technical and more report intensive. check airman for example have to write reports on checking events. line observation people have to fill out observation reports. we have line pilots that are involved in the process of developing the manuals and SOPs that are used. they are involved in the training manuals that we use. we even have people that work with maintenance in developing some of the procedures in the MEL manuals. so, there can be a lot of technical writing that is done by pilots, but most line pilots have to write very little, and that can be a good thing as some of them do not write very well. from my years working with the union, i have seen some reports that read like they were written by a 5th grader.

Thanks everyone for all of your input, you guys were very helpful and I appreciate it

I write down the ATIS and my clearances, those are pretty technical.

Back