Employees of Ring (Amazon) are watching you

Except the article is full of crap. The camera isn't active "all the time." It's by and large a horrendous piece of crap anyhow. The thing only uploads video when the button is pushed or the motion sensor is activated and someone moves near the camera. What the employees were watching was those captured videos on the server, though that's bad enough.

My friend works for a company that monitors social media and reports their findings to politicians who are paying for your data. The things they know are extremely alarming. I wanted to get an Alexa, but the tinfoil hat wearer inside of me is against it. But then again I have an Iphone in my pocket so...

OMG, everyone will know that I don't answer the door for Jehovah Witnesses. :O

Our house was next door to the local JW church when we lived in Napa, CA back in the 1970s. I had them come up and want to talk while I was changing the brake pads on my car one day. I darned near told them that if they wanted to talk, they could do so while turning wrenches. Given how they were dressed, that wouldn't have go over well. I don't blame you for not answering the doorbell when they come around. :D

Our house was next door to the local JW church when we lived in Napa, CA back in the 1970s. I had them come up and want to talk while I was changing the brake pads on my car one day. I darned near told them that if they wanted to talk, they could do so while turning wrenches. Given how they were dressed, that wouldn't have go over well. I don't blame you for not answering the doorbell when they come around. :D

If they were Mormon missionaries, they probably would have rolled up their sleeves and wrenched with you. The two Mormon kids who use to evangelize me helped me change oil, clear snow, work on power equipment, pull weeds, or whatever else I happened to be doing.

Eventually, I guess they figured out that I wasn't interesting in converting, and they stopped coming around. Or maybe they rotated out. It's a rotating assignment. I kind of miss them.

Rich

If they were Mormon missionaries, they probably would have rolled up their sleeves and wrenched with you. The two Mormon kids who use to evangelize me helped me change oil, clear snow, work on power equipment, pull weeds, or whatever else I happened to be doing.

Eventually, I guess they figured out that I wasn't interesting in converting, and they stopped coming around. Or maybe they rotated out. It's a rotating assignment. I kind of miss them.

Rich

You can argue about whether or not the Mormon theology is sound, but I don't think there is much room to argue about their culture. Everyone is valued, everyone has a position and a task to do to help the community. Therefore, because everyone has value, everyone is respected, from the smallest child up to the oldest elder. There is genuine concern for each other and making sure that everyone is taken care of. Their idea of community is to be envied.

If your reaction to this is "yeah, but bigamy/child marriage", then I'd remind you that both are condemned by their church. You could just as easily point out that there are still members of the Klan, despite racism having been condemned for decades too. Some people just don't change and populate their own self beliefs to the next generation as the norm. It isn't a Mormon thing, it's a subculture thing.

OMG, everyone will know that I don't answer the door for Jehovah Witnesses. :O
You may laugh, but someone can get information they consider useful. One example is the times you are at home and can answer the door. Correlated with other data, someone can learn a lot about you.

I run a database/program where some of equipment we sell sends me information about the consumables used each day and the stock is replenished. Things I can infer:
  • Work days
  • Holidays for a company
  • When they start a new project
  • Does the project seem successful (scale-up to larger columns)
  • Project chemistry (types of columns used)
  • When a project ends
  • Someone left/fired or no projects
  • How many hours they work at a company
Combined with other information, one can find out a lot about a company and its employees.

BBS3Z4T.img

My friends kid wanted this very badly for Christmas - https://www.bestbuy.com/site/anki-vector-robot-with-amazon-alexa-voice-assistant-gray/6298675.p

It resulted in awkward conversation between us. "I don't know dude" is about the best advice I could come up with. The kid ended up getting it because not having it would have resulted in a very sad Christmas. I don't have kids so I don't know what it's like. It seems crazy though, a toy that kids will want, with a camera and microphone, connected to the cloud. Yes, I read the privacy statement. None of that matters to me, especially when you have companies like Ring where you have no idea what is going on behind closed doors.

My friend works for a company that monitors social media and reports their findings to politicians who are paying for your data. The things they know are extremely alarming. I wanted to get an Alexa, but the tinfoil hat wearer inside of me is against it. But then again I have an Iphone in my pocket so...

Good reason to not have anything factual on Facebook, even having misleading things is good, a town you never lived in, working for a company you never did business with and a random name and vitals

Lest we forget on-star

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...any-will-still-track-sell-your-location.shtml

Why I won't buy cloud enabled stuff, and why I've dumped Android. And why I need to be sure I can disable any phone home crap in any new car I might get.

Why I won't buy cloud enabled stuff, and why I've dumped Android. And why I need to be sure I can disable any phone home crap in any new car I might get.

The cloud, aka someone else’s computer.

When we introduced digital set-tops it was easy enough to find out what it was tuned to.

When we introduced digital set-tops it was easy enough to find out what it was tuned to.
And you could do it with war driving.... not even a need to be in the cable company or manufacturer.

These days, VPNs rule.

Back